PDA

View Full Version : hand warmers revisited...

bone crusher
10-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Can't find the last thread on this topic...

So, which is the best way to go for grip warmers...after the ride the other day, they are certainly a must!

Someone mentioned getting BRP snowmobile grips put on the sypder...does this work?? If so, this should be easy for the dealer to do as they sell them...

NancysToy
10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Can't find the last thread on this topic...

So, which is the best way to go for grip warmers...after the ride the other day, they are certainly a must!

Someone mentioned getting BRP snowmobile grips put on the sypder...does this work?? If so, this should be easy for the dealer to do as they sell them...
I gave up on internal heaters, as described in this thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7513
Some folks here have tried the mylar heaters under the grips, like Symtec, with good results. Hotgrips and Oxford make heated replacement grips. In the end, I chose to wire for heated gloves. This also allows use of a heated vest, jacket, or pants, addind to the available comfort.
-Scotty

Greg H.
10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
The Tour Master Polar-Tex Winter Gloves for $50.00 do a fine job at 39 degrees for my 28 mile ride to the office. :thumbup:

bone crusher
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the suggestions...I wasn't sure if anyone here had actually switched out grips for snowmobile or outlander or some other BRP product grips?

A good set of warm gloves will certainly be better than my Technic gloves (moderate warmth)...in the wind, you really have to layer up or get very warm gloves!

As far as hard wiring heating elements, this is interesting...I figured heated elements under the grips would do it but they'd probably end up melting the grips?

NancysToy
10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Thank you for the suggestions...I wasn't sure if anyone here had actually switched out grips for snowmobile or outlander or some other BRP product grips?

A good set of warm gloves will certainly be better than my Technic gloves (moderate warmth)...in the wind, you really have to layer up or get very warm gloves!

As far as hard wiring heating elements, this is interesting...I figured heated elements under the grips would do it but they'd probably end up melting the grips?
I'm not sure heated grips for a sled or ATV would work. The Spyder, like all motorcycles, has a twist throttle, so the right side of the handlebar is effectively larger than the left. With a thumb throttle, both sides are the same size.

Heating elements made for motorcycle use, and properly wired, will not melt the grips. I recommend the two-temperature (three-wire) variety. You can use a heat controller, but some of these get hot, and some cause radio interference, so the two-temperature units, wired through the proper on-off-on switch, may be a better choice, and are about the same as OEM type heaters.
-Scotty

caymanbob
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I installed the Heat demons in the No Magic 4" riser kit. I drilled a 3/4" x 51/2" hole in each bar from the kit plus used a long 1/4" drill and drilled a hole to come out under the factory controls to hide the wires. When I cut my factory bars the one on the left side I left long to mount the 4 level controller from Heat Demon.I also drilled a hole to hide thr wires. I then installed the ISO grips from Kuryan ( not sure if spelled right ) you can install whatever grips you like. The Heat Demons heat my grips fine. A lot of work but worth it.

Good day
Cayman
Posting pictures but kinf of dark should have used flash. I will do over.