PDA

View Full Version : powering gps

lmadsen
01-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Has anyone found a way to get power up the dash from the 12 volt plug that is the rear trunk of a RTS. I am trying to power my GPS without installing another 12 volt plug. I am also wondering if anyone has accessed the rear trunk from under the seat.

Thanks
Larry

finless
01-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Has anyone found a way to get power up the dash from the 12 volt plug that is the rear trunk of a RTS. I am trying to power my GPS without installing another 12 volt plug. I am also wondering if anyone has accessed the rear trunk from under the seat.

Thanks
Larry

The trunk is water tight so you would have to drill a hole to get a cord through.

Bob

stevedfive
01-03-2015, 11:00 AM
I did. I just removed the seat back and posi-tapped the trunk power outlet leads. The two wires run up behind the passenger seat back. Only took a few minutes.

I LIED, IT IS ACTUALLY UNDER THE LEFT SPEAKER GRILL, SORRY. MY BAD.

Dragonrider
01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
There's a power connector for the BRP GPS under the right side tupperware...

billybovine
01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
There's a power connector for the BRP GPS under the right side tupperware...

Only on 2014/15. 2013 and earlier need to buy the GPS harness. The OP did not share what year his RT is.

finless
01-03-2015, 11:59 AM
FYI just to be clear, I was responding to this part of his question.

I am also wondering if anyone has accessed the rear trunk from under the seat.

Thanks
Larry

lmadsen
01-03-2015, 03:15 PM
There's a power connector for the BRP GPS under the right side tupperware...When you say right tupperware do mean the right side panel? Is this the panel that you have to take the mirror off along with a couple more pieces. When you get to the connection what does it look like? Is it a a power source or can you plug a GPS directly to it? I am riding a 2104 RTS. By the way my profile does not tell you where I am from but nice to hear from someone in Oregon. I live in Hood River. I have been struggling with how I am going to get my GPS powered. Have heard many different ways but yours sounds the best so far. Hope you can answer some of my questions.

Thanks
Larry

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-04-2015, 02:14 AM
When you say right tupperware do mean the right side panel? Is this the panel that you have to take the mirror off along with a couple more pieces. When you get to the connection what does it look like? Is it a a power source or can you plug a GPS directly to it? I am riding a 2104 RTS. By the way my profile does not tell you where I am from but nice to hear from someone in Oregon. I live in Hood River. I have been struggling with how I am going to get my GPS powered. Have heard many different ways but yours sounds the best so far. Hope you can answer some of my questions.
What kind of GPS are you installing, a Garmin, or something like a phone or tablet? If you unit needs 12 volt power your best bet is the GPS power connector under the right side plastic. The audio connector for the GPS input into the radio is there also. If, by chance, you are planning to power the GPS with USB adapter then do not use the GPS power connector. USB adapters can cause all sorts of radio noise so they need to be as far from the radio as possible.

dlby
01-04-2015, 07:52 AM
I only had a few days from purchace to heading out to Fla

Took easy way--
from--
Trunk hinge area--
Under seat--
In groove along glove box---

Up to handle bars
Believe it or not it looks great!
15 minutes

dlby
01-04-2015, 07:54 AM
PS
Have had no problem wi radio interference etc
2014 RSe6
Using Samsung s5 for everything
Music gps phone

Dragonrider
01-04-2015, 07:20 PM
The BRP connector was behind the gas tank, on the right side - there's an 8mm connector for the sound (which I didn't use), and a two pin connector for power. The connector had a "blank" plugged into it, and I added two pins in the blank, connected to the power leads to my Montana mount. Works a treat, and I can quickly disconnect the power, should I ever wish to do so...

finless
01-04-2015, 08:57 PM
The BRP connector was behind the gas tank, on the right side - there's an 8mm connector for the sound (which I didn't use), and a two pin connector for power. The connector had a "blank" plugged into it, and I added two pins in the blank, connected to the power leads to my Montana mount. Works a treat, and I can quickly disconnect the power, should I ever wish to do so...

I wish you had taken some detailed pictures......... Would be nice for others looking at this.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-04-2015, 09:09 PM
PS
Have had no problem wi radio interference etc
2014 RSe6
Using Samsung s5 for everything
Music gps phone
Did you plug your USB adapter into the trunk or frunk? Or did you add a new power outlet on the dash? When I first installed my tablet GPS I bought a USB adapter that connected directly to 12 volt wiring, so I connected it to the GPS power lead. That lead took the RF noise from the USB adapter and fed it right straight into the radio! It was bad. I installed a 12 volt outlet on the end of a cord connected to the booster posts. The USB adapter sits in the space just above the radiator water bottle and the tablet adapter cord goes up to the dash. Even in that location I had to try 2 or 3 different adapters before I found one powerful enough for the tablet and did not emit too much RF noise.

SpyderGTL
01-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I wish you had taken some detailed pictures......... Would be nice for others looking at this.

Bob

I wish I had read this thread yesterday, as I could have taken some pictures when I had the RH side panel off my wife's 2011 RT Limited, which came with the GPS. Interestingly enough, I saw an empty 2.5mm (I think) connector - I remember commenting to my wife that I wondered what that was for...

finless
01-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Even in that location I had to try 2 or 3 different adapters before I found one powerful enough for the tablet and did not emit too much RF noise.

+100 on that!

When I added my GPS connector up front, and when it is not connected to the GPS, just washing my windshield provides enough static noise to send a signal to the radio that the GPS "wants to say something" and would cut out the radio! On a very dry day going down the road, the shear fact of the static building up on the front of the Spyder caused the radio to think my GPS wanted to say something. Every few minutes the radio would cut out while the noise discharged!

Since then I made a dummy plug with a 1M ohm resistor to short the GPS audio cable inputs so that stopped happening.

So your point is........ BE CAREFUL how you wire things to the spyder! Noise is there and will get you!

Bob

finless
01-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I wish I had read this thread yesterday, as I could have taken some pictures when I had the RH side panel off my wife's 2011 RT Limited, which came with the GPS. Interestingly enough, I saw an empty 2.5mm (I think) connector - I remember commenting to my wife that I wondered what that was for...

Well this is a new area as well for 2014 and up. The GPS connector is very will documented for 2010-2013. But Stevedfive says things have changed on 2014 and up.
Alas, I do not know what those changes are yet.

Bob