PDA

View Full Version : Chatterbox vs Sena

Sempyder
12-29-2014, 09:34 PM
I have looked through Threads here for sometime for a review or some acknowledgment of the chatterbox blue tooth com. unit. But everything I read is Sena this and Sena that. So is Sena really that great or is it just a fad with spyder lovers.

Patrick,

SpyderAnn01
12-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I've never heard of Chatterbox but I have owned both the Scala Rider G9 and the Sena 20S. They both are very good and each have their fan clubs. There is also the UClear and probably a few more to muddy the waters in your decision making process. Good luck.

SPYD3R
12-29-2014, 09:44 PM
look at the CARDO SCALA G9.... http://www.cardosystems.com/us/support/cardo-community
I've had mind for 3 yrs now... it's upgradeable and customer service is 2nd to none... :yes:
i wouldn't trade mine for anything... well, maybe for a newer version...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

ARtraveler
12-29-2014, 09:50 PM
I have used both Scala and Sena for at least a couple years at a time. I tried Chatterbox and Nolan N-Com. Both those were returned to the dealers for refunds. I did not like the performance of either.

I am currently using Sena SMH10 and am happy with both the distance (bike to bike) and the virtually noiseless operation. I also like the fact that the channel can be left open so you don't have to pre-speak to open a channel like on the Scala.

Based on my experience, Scala comes in second place to Sena. Were I in the market for new communicators, I would go with Sena.

bscrive
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
:agree: with akspyderman. We have tried the whole gambit of coms. Spent over a grand to find something that works good and Sena is the best one out there. nojoke

Chupaca
12-29-2014, 10:52 PM
we have a sena vendor here and it is a well known unit. Though chatterbox has been around a long time scala (which I have G9 and love) and sena seem to rule the roost now. But there are those that have them..actually our HJC helmets come with a slot for the chatterbox but have never used them...:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
12-29-2014, 11:21 PM
2 years with the Sena System SMH-10. Motorcycle Dave will give you a great price.

SpyderAnn01
12-30-2014, 01:57 AM
I just spent a bunch of time this evening trying to unscrew my Sena 20S with no luck. The original one that I received crapped out and after much round and round I was able to get a new set. The new set doesn't work like it is supposed to, the volume of my music should go down when talking on the intercom but it doesn't. Scala had much better customer service, in my opinion and I wish that I had bought another Scala G9 instead of the Sena.

rayeade
12-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Go to this web site for a detailed review of these headsets: http://www.webbikeworld.com/ . They have detailed evaluations on a wide variety of them.

cognaccruiser
12-30-2014, 11:34 AM
I have Sena SMH10 and we are happy with it. No, I don't think Sena is just a fad with Spyderlovers. Sena and Scala are popular with other bike boards too as I discovered when researching them before buying.
Pre blue tooth days, Chatterbox was a less expensive alternative to some other wired brands but seemed to be less favourably rated. I can't speak to their blue tooth version but I wouldn't personally include them in my choices. I would focus on Sena, Scala and U-Clear before Chatterbox.
Dave (motorcycledave, a sponsor here) has great prices on Sena)

Gary

Motorcycledave
12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Give me a call lets fix that problem
Dave
209-887-3283

I just spent a bunch of time this evening trying to unscrew my Sena 20S with no luck. The original one that I received crapped out and after much round and round I was able to get a new set. The new set doesn't work like it is supposed to, the volume of my music should go down when talking on the intercom but it doesn't. Scala had much better customer service, in my opinion and I wish that I had bought another Scala G9 instead of the Sena.

Sempyder
12-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks it really confirms who is top dog in the com. Market. I have HJC helmets with blue tooth slot for chatterbox so I just assume get the chatterbox. Now I won't after the onslaught of responses for Sena.

Patrick out

MikeinGA
12-31-2014, 12:23 AM
I have looked through Threads here for sometime for a review or some acknowledgment of the chatterbox blue tooth com. unit. But everything I read is Sena this and Sena that. So is Sena really that great or is it just a fad with spyder lovers.

Patrick,

I had a chatterbox and could hear my wife, right in back of when doing more than 20 miles an hour. I upgraded to Sena SMH10D Bluetooth Helmet Communication System (Pack of 2) for $280.00 in 2011. They have great sound, less wind noise, and the battery lasts for over 12 hours +.

Mike

szohar
12-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Check out those models

http://www.zoozmc.com/#!product/prd1/3115953921/motorcycle-bluetooth-intercom-zb-5100

http://www.zoozmc.com/#!product/prd1/2834575501/motorcycle-bluetooth-intercom-zb-6100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0FkNMl9HIk

Enjoy

ahh-cool
12-31-2014, 09:08 AM
If you're going to get the Sena get the 20S. The 10 you can talk or listen to music but not both. You have to decide which is more important before you take off.

Highwayman2013
12-31-2014, 11:26 AM
If you're going to get the Sena get the 20S. The 10 you can talk or listen to music but not both. You have to decide which is more important before you take off.I don't know what you mean by that. I can talk by tapping the jog wheel or go back to music by tapping again. I don't think I could talk with music playing.

SpyderAnn01
12-31-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't know what you mean by that. I can talk by tapping the jog wheel or go back to music by tapping again. I don't think I could talk with music playing.

Len, that is what I'm having trouble with. When the 20S works properly you can keep the intercom open and also listen to music. When one of the intercom parties speaks your music volume goes down so you can talk but still hear your music. At least that is how it worked on the first 20S unit I had. Now the music stays at the same volume so the person I'm talking to is competing with the music volume to be heard. :banghead: They call it "audio multi-tasking"

Highwayman2013
12-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a good feature, hope you get it working.

bmccaffrey
12-31-2014, 08:28 PM
I've never heard of Chatterbox but I have owned both the Scala Rider G9 and the Sena 20S. They both are very good and each have their fan clubs. There is also the UClear and probably a few more to muddy the waters in your decision making process. Good luck.

I've know quite a few chatterboxes and most are still chattering LOL :roflblack::roflblack:

ahh-cool
01-01-2015, 05:43 PM
I don't know what you mean by that. I can talk by tapping the jog wheel or go back to music by tapping again. I don't think I could talk with music playing.

Mine will not do that. I contacted Sena and they said it could not be done

Spyder Tony
01-02-2015, 12:54 PM
If you're going to get the Sena get the 20S. The 10 you can talk or listen to music but not both. You have to decide which is more important before you take off.
I have the Sena SMH 10 dual pack and can talk and listen to music both...not only can I do both, but I can share my music with others as well as connect to non Sena headsets. I chose the Sena for the cross connect capability specifically.

Dubld
01-02-2015, 02:36 PM
My wife and I use the Sena SMH10D. We can talk to each other AND listen to music. The music stops when you push on the jog dial to talk and starts right where it left off when you push it again. Attaches to virtually any helmet and has great battery life.