PDA

View Full Version : Dealer labor rate

BeRight
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Curious what labor rates are like in your area on the Spyder. In MD, at a small dealership, I was charged $100/hr for working on my Spyder. Some car repair rates are lower.

Plus they charge book hours, not actual time worked on bike>

I sat across the way in a restaurant while work was being done and noted 1.5 hrs of work and was charged 2.25 hrs:yikes:. However, that is pretty much how it works in MD.

ingramwc
10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I think most dealers will charge book rates. $100 an hour is kind of steep!
It is around $70-$80 an hour around here. If you are living in the metro area Washtimore, you are in the high rent district so rates will be higher.
The dealers will charge what the market will bare.
Maybe as business picks up the rates will come down a bit. :joke: That was a joke! Just kidding.

sleepman
10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I think my dealer is $80 an hour. They won't bill over the time they quoted. Had them install a Stebel horn on my wifes V-Strom and they quoted me 1.5 hrs. Ended up taking them 5 hrs and they only charged me for the 1.5, Service manager told me that's the way he believes in doing business and so that's the way he charged me.

bjt
10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
The sign at my dealers service department says $87 per hour with a 1/2 hour minimum.

spyder3rdr
10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
my local dealer is ... 85 an hour with a 50 dollar minimum

BRPjunkie
10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Just down the road from Grand Blanc, the Brighton, MI dealer is at $91/hr.

zzneonzz
10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
60$ an hour 30 minute minimum for my dealer

NancysToy
10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
$70 an hour at mine.
-Scotty

Roaddog2
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes they do wear a Mask :yikes:

bone crusher
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Go to Talbot Power Sports and talk with Chuck or Heather...I bought my bike there....they charge about $75.00/hr and they do a great job...I wouldn't take my bike anywhere else...neither should you...

There is also a Can-Am dealer in Frederick, but I wouldn't go there...they are quite greedy, from what I hear...

Motza
10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Here in Ben Salem, Pa. a suburb of Philly, they get $139.00 per hour....RIP OFF!!!:banghead::yikes::chill: :barf:

SpydeeBite2
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
$69.00 per hour at my dealer.

retread
10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Two dealers within 40 miles of me, $75 to $90 per hour, sliding scale, depends how they feel that day. But one of them did quote me $260 for the 3000 mile oil change. I change my own.

GeminiJane
10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
$75 per hour - just had my oil changed today - $275. I was there the whole time (two hours) but they billed me for three. When I asked if they billed by the hour or by the book, they told me by the hour. But when I pointed out I'd been billed for thee hours, they then said, "Well the books says 3.5 hours for the first oil change/inspection and we only bill for three hours - it's setup in the computer that way. So by my calculations that works out to be $112.50 per hour." Guess I have to put it in perspective - I don't complain about the price of good riding boots, helmets, after market seats, mufflers, GPS, etc. - it's just the "non-fun" stuff I don't like to spend $$ on!

bjt
10-29-2008, 07:37 AM
When I asked if they billed by the hour or by the book, they told me by the hour. But when I pointed out I'd been billed for thee hours, they then said, "Well the books says 3.5 hours for the first oil change/inspection and we only bill for three hours - it's setup in the computer that way.

Is that what they call talking out of both sides of your mouth? They should have said, we bill by what our computer says. :D

craigclive
10-29-2008, 02:14 PM
My first service was the 600 mile. The mechanic worked on the spyder for approximately 45 minutes and I was charged $200 for labor. I now change my own oil and filter. that's all he seemed to do.

BeRight
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Go to Talbot Power Sports and talk with Chuck or Heather...I bought my bike there....they charge about $75.00/hr and they do a great job...I wouldn't take my bike anywhere else...neither should you...

They aren't an authorized Spyder dealer, wouldn't that void warranty?

jwfranklin
10-29-2008, 04:03 PM
They aren't an authorized Spyder dealer, wouldn't that void warranty?

If you go to the Spyder website and do a dealer search for Maryland, Talbots cpmes up.

Wayne

baldev
10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
If you go to the Spyder website and do a dealer search for Maryland, Talbots cpmes up.

Wayne

My dealer in Pa $68 per hr. I threw a fit when they charged me by the book and the price was lowered. They took 45 minutes for the exhaust and charged me 2 hrs. They backed down after I made some noise. By the hr means by the hr not book hr or computerized hr. Legally I was not wrong.

BeRight
10-29-2008, 06:11 PM
If you go to the Spyder website and do a dealer search for Maryland, Talbots cpmes up.Wayne

I stand corrected. I was thinking of someone else. They have added allot of new dealers in MD. Talbot is the dealer on the eastern shore that has sold the most Spyders in MD. I'll definitely check them out - - thanks Bone Crusher for the recommendation.

NancysToy
10-29-2008, 06:43 PM
My dealer in Pa $68 per hr. I threw a fit when they charged me by the book and the price was lowered. They took 45 minutes for the exhaust and charged me 2 hrs. They backed down after I made some noise. By the hr means by the hr not book hr or computerized hr. Legally I was not wrong.
I think it depends on the state you're in. Many service centers, at least here in Michigan, charge "flat rate" fees. A dealer makes money by beating the flat rate hours alloted. It is usually figured into the rate they charge. This has been a practice as long as there have been mechanics, and the Flat Rate Manuals were always a mechanics Bible. If I took too long, even working on my own vehicles, my old man (a master mechanic)would kid me about "never beating flat rate." You learn to be fast and accurate. Moral of the story, ask up front. If they tell you one thing, then charge another way, complain loudly.
-Scotty

Smylinacha
10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes they do wear a Mask :yikes:

Hey! Who's the chick babe standing behind your Spyder?

Star Cruiser
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't mind "flat rate" charges. Sometimes it takes longer than the "book" says. Best to have it up front. I had an oil change where they broke the drain plug. It took them about 4 hours to change the oil (on a Yamaha) and it cost $95 total.

btw, by first Service was $247 at Snow-City in Toronto, ON. They did a great job though and tweeked a few other things at the same visit (included)