PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if there is still a REV limit on the F3 ? ~ Top speed?

latinojj
12-23-2014, 04:14 PM
I would love to see if BRP "relaxed" the rev limit? or an~ top spped with the addidtion of the 6th gear> Anyone?

ARtraveler
12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
I would love to see if BRP "relaxed" the rev limit? or an~ top spped with the addidtion of the 6th gear> Anyone?

Looking at speedo pictures, the tach seems to show a redline at 7500--same as the 2014 ACE 1330. I am guessing that not much has changed. I would see them putting a rev limiter on the F3 in order to protect the engine. Whether or not it has been relaxed?...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Once the F3 hit the dealers, I am guessing we will hear pretty fast.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-23-2014, 04:43 PM
:yikes:..........The ability to blow the engine up by over-revving is not a good thing , so why would BRP " RELAX " the limit ......I fail to see any Logic in this ........JMHO.........Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
12-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Plus the F3 is geared lower so top speed may be lower.

Bob Denman
12-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Let's make some dangerous assumptions for just a moment... :D
My RT is turning 2800 rpm at 55 mph.
Some basic Math tells me, that it would touch redline in 6th gear at about 147 mph :yikes:
Which we ALL know; is impossible.
Somebody mentioned it turning 3300 rpm at 55 mph
That would still give you a chance to tickle the radar guns at 124 as you hit the rev limiter...

Question: Do you honestly think that you'll need more speed than that? :dontknow:

These bikes are aero-limited: they're just like big barn doors...
Redline doesn't matter, because you'd never see it anyway.

NOTE: My Math is chock-full of assumptions... If anybody has some actual rpm levels; please let me know about it!

ARtraveler
12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Let's make some dangerous assumptions for just a moment... :D
My RT is turning 2800 rpm at 55 mph.
Some basic Math tells me, that it would touch redline in 6th gear at about 147 mph :yikes:
Which we ALL know; is impossible.
Somebody mentioned it turning 3300 rpm at 55 mph
That would still give you a chance to tickle the radar guns at 124 as you hit the rev limiter...

Question: Do you honestly think that you'll need more speed than that? :dontknow:

These bikes are aero-limited: they're just like big barn doors...
Redline doesn't matter, because you'd never see it anyway.

NOTE: My Math is chock-full of assumptions... If anybody has some actual rpm levels; please let me know about it!

Two possibilities here, but we have the time so let's kill some more of it. :roflblack:

1. Those who are math gurus (not me), can come up with some numbers to either prove or disprove the current theory.

2. The numbers information can then be proven or disproven by the beta testers who are going to be driving the actual F3. That is going to be fun. We may have to wait 30 or more days for this to transpire.

an addendum:

3. Who is going to be the first to blow up their new F3's engine? :yikes:

kep-up
12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
LEMME HAVE ONE!
O PLEASE LEMME HAVE ONE!!

bmccaffrey
12-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Give it to the guy who bought the 707 hp hellcat and totaled it within the first hour of drive time:yikes:

GunDoctor
12-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Someone call Darwin...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BajaRon
12-23-2014, 09:44 PM
:yikes:..........The ability to blow the engine up by over-revving is not a good thing , so why would BRP " RELAX " the limit ......I fail to see any Logic in this ........JMHO.........Mike :thumbup:

If BRP made some subtle changes to the engine it could turn faster without doing damage. Though I think it highly unlikely that they have made any such changes for the F3. We will know for sure pretty soon.

Plus the F3 is geared lower so top speed may be lower.

Not necessarily. If the current 1330 RT's can't reach redline in 6th gear then redline is not the limiting factor for top speed. It may be that lower gearing on the F3 might actually allow it to achieve a higher top speed. Again, we should know for sure pretty soon.

billybovine
12-23-2014, 09:56 PM
The engine in the F3 has hydraulic lifters the same as the RT engine. I don't think you could safely get more rpm out of it without going to solid lifters.

MidTNDawg
12-23-2014, 10:09 PM
[Not necessarily. If the current 1330 RT's can't reach redline in 6th gear then redline is not the limiting factor for top speed. It may be that lower gearing on the F3 might actually allow it to achieve a higher top speed. Again, we should know for sure pretty soon.[/QUOTE]

I had a BMW R100 RT. BMW allowed a bunch of these to leave Germany with incorrect carburetor jetting. I had a higher top speed in 4th than I did in 5th. This led to the improper jetting discovery. Correcting the main jet provided a higher 5th gear top speed.

The point? Ron is correct in his assumption. Things are not always what they seem.

Chupaca
12-23-2014, 11:51 PM
I know the thing here is about how fast you can go and how the rev limiter affects this. To me it's about how fast I can get to a comfortable speed (100 mph). Love taking off like a bat outta h**** and then level off a little above speed limit...just me and I know my limits...:thumbup:

den1953
12-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Considering that most two lane highways are still at the old 55 mph speed limit and using the "nine you fine-ten you're mine" police axiom 64 mph is ticket free around here. Most, but not all Interstate highways in the Buckeye State are at 70 mph, so 79 mph is max in Ohio if you don't want a speeding ticket. I know there aren't enough cops out there to enforce it and many drive faster without getting caught but I play it safe and save my money for other things other than fines & court costs.

Bob Denman
12-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Somebody needs to paw through BRP's parts manuals, and compare the engine, fuel management, and exhaust components for the RT and F-3 bikes... :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
12-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Considering that most two lane highways are still at the old 55 mph speed limit and using the "nine you fine-ten you're mine" police axiom 64 mph is ticket free around here. Most, but not all Interstate highways in the Buckeye State are at 70 mph, so 79 mph is max in Ohio if you don't want a speeding ticket. I know there aren't enough cops out there to enforce it and many drive faster without getting caught but I play it safe and save my money for other things other than fines & court costs.

I am a posted plus 7 (5 plus speedo error of -2) driver, most of the time. This way, I do not have to worry about getting tagged for speeding by the police. No tickets now in over 15 years and lots of miles.

Art Mann
12-24-2014, 04:02 PM
BRP might adjust the rev limiter slightly if the engine is updated but there is no way that they will eliminate it. That is just begging for unnecessary engine warranty repairs.

It would be worthwhile for those who wish for a higher RPM limit to study the engine torque curve. It might very well be that the best performance is achieved if the transmission is upshifted before redline is hit. That is pretty typical.

latinojj
12-24-2014, 04:16 PM
I hear you.. but> I have bikes, a few of them... never blew the motor... Not even close... And a triple 1330??? Come one... thats almost bullet proof. : )

Marker
12-24-2014, 06:13 PM
From what We were told when dealer had an F3 preview. The rear sprocket is larger than the 2014 RT and the nanny has been re calibrated for the F3. So as a result you can make the rear tire burn rubber .:thumbup:

Yazz
12-24-2014, 09:21 PM
I hear you.. but> I have bikes, a few of them... never blew the motor... Not even close... And a triple 1330??? Come one... thats almost bullet proof. : )

Are you sure you didn't get close to the Governor/rev limiter?

Come one, you can hear it when it happens!

Most every motor has some sort of control that keeps it from self-destructing.

If you've been around engines long enough, you know this one.

Bob Denman
12-25-2014, 10:46 AM
:agree: Bounce off the 1330's limiter once; and you'll know what it's like...
(Tapped it in 3rd gear at a bit over 80 mph...)

latinojj
12-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Are you sure you didn't get close to the Governor/rev limiter?

Come one, you can hear it when it happens!

Most every motor has some sort of control that keeps it from self-destructing.

If you've been around engines long enough, you know this one.

I was refering to my other bikes.. I was trying to make the point that a "big" motor like that one can do more than 10-10.5k... Thats all. : ) I could be ( and probably am) way off.. It was just a question to those of the lucky ones who test drove it..

Bob Denman
12-26-2014, 03:06 PM
If that's the song that you want to hear... :shocked:
You need to buy yourself a Hayabusa, or a big ZX! :thumbup:

tip
12-26-2014, 04:29 PM
I would worry more about damaging the engine in the first 3 or 4 gears than in 6th.

Bob Denman
12-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Yup! :thumbup:
That's when you'll bump up against the limiter... :shocked:

Highwayman2013
12-26-2014, 08:48 PM
If BRP made some subtle changes to the engine it could turn faster without doing damage. Though I think it highly unlikely that they have made any such changes for the F3. We will know for sure pretty soon.

Not necessarily. If the current 1330 RT's can't reach redline in 6th gear then redline is not the limiting factor for top speed. It may be that lower gearing on the F3 might actually allow it to achieve a higher top speed. Again, we should know for sure pretty soon.
I stand corrected, I didn't think about the aero.

latinojj
12-27-2014, 07:28 PM

Right on !!! We will know soon!!!!! : )