PDA

View Full Version : battery time

rwbcats
12-21-2014, 01:46 PM
I've got a couple of questions about battery replacement....first do I go with a yuasa battery which one ,size ,where to get or go with a bike master tru gel battery what size ,where to get...Is there any benefit with going with the gel Also how do you change out the battery...Is there a video available to show the procedure...By the way I have a 2011 rt limited...thank you

coz
12-21-2014, 05:26 PM
i would go to batteries plus for a replacement. cheaper than a dealer and a TWO year warranty. last time i checked, stock yuasa battery has a ONE year warranty. the rt folks should know about how to get to it.:roflblack:

Pennyrick
12-21-2014, 06:29 PM
I've got a couple of questions about battery replacement....first do I go with a yuasa battery which one ,size ,where to get or go with a bike master tru gel battery what size ,where to get...Is there any benefit with going with the gel Also how do you change out the battery...Is there a video available to show the procedure...By the way I have a 2011 rt limited...thank you

See page 22 of this thread. d: 2011 RT/SE5 Battery Recommendations? (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?74325-2011-RT-SE5-Battery-Recommendations)

ahh-cool
12-21-2014, 06:38 PM
I just bought a battery on Ebay. it was a non branded battery and it cost $40.00.
I only have it about 2 weeks and it seems to work well.
It's an agm battery

SPYD3R
12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
i would go to batteries plus for a replacement. cheaper than a dealer and a TWO year warranty. last time i checked, stock yuasa battery has a ONE year warranty. the rt folks should know about how to get to it.:roflblack:

I'M WITH COZ ON THIS ONE........
I WENT TO 'BATTERIES PLUS', AND THE DIDN'T HAVE A 2 YEAR IN STOCK, SO I TOOK A 1 YEAR BATTERY.... A COUPLE MONTHS LATER, THE BATTERY DIED... I BROUGHT IT BACK, AND THE STORE MANAGER FELT BAD ABOUT IT, AND TOLD ME THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ONE GOOD BAD... SO HE GAVE ME A NEW 2 YEAR FOR NO CHARGE....
I'LL GO BACK TO THESE PEOPLE EVERY TIME NOW...
DAN P
SPYD3R

SNOOPY
12-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, jetski batteries don't last worth a crap. Get the one w the best warranty and keep the receipt ...get a gel or odyssey etc battery for "twice" the cost "if" you are keeping the vehicle! Well worth the extra cost, really!

Batteries plus has great batteries and warranties if there is one near you.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-21-2014, 10:16 PM
I'd stick with Yuasa. My OEM Yuasa lasted 6 years + in my Goldwing, and that was with me letting it completely discharge at least a half dozen times in the first couple of years. The replacement Yuasa worked great. When I was researching for the GW replacement there were many comments about most batteries, especially from Walmart, lasting only a year or so, and the overwhelming consensus was to stick with Yuasa. As was said in the linked thread shop for price and do the soak properly before charging. I'm not sure how much effect not following the soak procedure will have, but why tempt fate? I'm not sure I did it for my GW battery but never noticed any problems in the year I used it before I sold the bike.

If you're not in a hurry to replace it keep a watch on online seller sites for a sale. I don't recall who I bought mine from but I got it for something like 30% off usual price.

Gray Ghost
12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
No matter what battery you get the first major key to long life is to ensure that you follow the instructions for properly preparing the battery before you hook it up and hit the start button. If it tells you to charge it up for a certain length of time before installing it, do so.

Pandy
12-22-2014, 07:33 AM
The battery lives underneath the pillion seating area. I suggest going to the Green Manuals store on Ebay and ordering the manual. It is an exact duplicate of the factory manual. That's how I tackle all my Pyder maintenance.Having replaced 2 batteries, having the manual on a nearby laptop was an enormous benefit. If you ever did an oil change on an SE5 without the quick access panels, there is where you start with panel removal, if that's any indication of what is involved, but as I said, get the manual, save headaches.
Patrick

Ben Burped
01-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Yuasa is the way to go. I am an alarm technician and deal with a variety of batteries. The Yuasa is an excellent product. While your are there, put pigtails on the battery so you can use a battery tender to keep your new battery at full charge so it's ready whenever you are. Just plug it in whenever you park it.

jaherbst
01-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Odyssey Batteries at Batteries Plus-- the only way to go. Best one by far. Not the "cheapest" but the very best. On this item do not go "cheap". If you do you will regret it. Nuff said!

Jack

tip
01-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Take the wrapper off of an Interstate motorcycle battery and you will find "Yuasa"

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Take the wrapper off of an Interstate motorcycle battery and you will find "Yuasa"
For probably more money than what you can buy a Yuasa for on a sale at an online bike parts dealer. Maybe they do, but I don't recall ever seeing Interstate batteries at a good sale price.

MouthPiece
01-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Wow!!!!!!!! And I thought that only oil and tires brought out the different opinions.

Chris

finless
01-03-2015, 11:24 AM
My Spyder is a 2011 and the last 6 months I have been nursing my battery. If I turn off the Spyder and leave the key on, in 5 minutes it's down to 12.4V or basically almost dead! It's been like this for months now but keeps going and going. Spyder still starts fine with it that low. Freakin amazing battery! I expected to replace it months ago... So I am sticking with the Yashua because of that.

BUT I did buy a battery last week. Yashua replacement 24HL-BS.
But dang it I did not see the post about the -BS version so oh well. It was only $69 shipped from Chrome Batteries.
I am going to use it anyway and follow the directions.
It did come fully charged and I am going to lightly cycle it one time before installing it.

If it doesn't work out, I can use it for other projects like powering my 14" telescope.

Bob