PDA

View Full Version : Frunk won't open

2Paw
12-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I just got my RTS back from the Dealership after some repair work and an oil change and I can't get the frunk open. It seems to be closed tighter than it ever was before also. Turning the key down and to the left doesn't work and neither does the electric switch. I have pushed, pulled and banged on the lid, all with no success.:banghead: Anyone have any ideas? I won't be able to call the dealer until Monday and it's a long way back over there.:gaah:

Chupaca
12-20-2014, 09:20 PM
if pressing down on the lid at the same time turning the key (try both ways just in case its your other left) it not release you may have to get that coat hanger Roger mentioned....:thumbup:

Professor
12-21-2014, 06:26 AM
A related adventure last night. I took delivery of my new 2014 RTL late yesterday afternoon, rode for a while, then parked it in my driveway. I planned to read the owners manual and remembered that the salesman told me it was in the frunk. I had no idea how to open it. I knew that the owner's manual would tell me how the frunk opens, but I had to open it to get the manual. Then I noticed that the glove box was open and wouldn't latch, and I was able to open the saddlebags, but not the trunk. Sheesh!! I finally remembered the salesman doing something with the ignition switch to raise the seat to get to the fuel filler so I started to examine the switch and saw a sympol that looked kind of like a piece of luggage and finally figured out how to open the frunk without a crowbar. I still had the glove box problem. My wife says, "Start the engine and see if that helps". I said, "That's ridiculous. You shouldn't have to start the bike to open or latch the glove box". But to humor her, I fired it up and, of course, the glove box latch released and allowed the lid to close. I still haven't been able to open the trunk, but I'm sure I'll figure it out this morning with more light and less fatigue.

The basic lesson I got from this is that you have to be smarter than the Spyder - and I failed miserably. How is my poor human brain supposed to compete with the Spyder's seven on-board computers that obviously take pleasure in humiliating humans? :dontknow: I expected a bit of an initiation process, but this borders on hazing - maybe even bullying! But I'll figure it out. A few years of serious study of the manual should do it. ;)

Bob Denman
12-21-2014, 09:16 AM
2Paw,
This might be a two-person job. :shocked:
Have somebody that you trust; put a constant pressure on the lid, as you man the ignition switch in an attempt to unlatch it...
IF you're able to turn the key while pushing down, and nothing is happening; the dealer owes you an apology for loosening up something... :gaah:
If you encounter some serious resistance; have your partner increase the pressure on the lid...
Sometimes the gasket around the lip of the frunk gets loose from it's mooring, and jams things up a bit...

cuznjohn
12-21-2014, 10:16 AM
may i ask what other work did the dealer do other than a oil change, also do you hear any noise when you try to open the frunk with the electric opener

JayBros
12-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Finless Bob, I believe it is, has posted a video on how to get into the frunk when it won't open the usual way.

2Paw
12-21-2014, 10:13 PM
2Paw,
This might be a two-person job. :shocked:
Have somebody that you trust; put a constant pressure on the lid, as you man the ignition switch in an attempt to unlatch it...
IF you're able to turn the key while pushing down, and nothing is happening; the dealer owes you an apology for loosening up something... :gaah:
If you encounter some serious resistance; have your partner increase the pressure on the lid...
Sometimes the gasket around the lip of the frunk gets loose from it's mooring, and jams things up a bit...

Bob,
This is exactly how I got into it today, although I was able to do it by myself. After I got it open it was hard to close the first time. It does seem like something needs readjusted though. They were doing some work on the front end, the rear suspension and replacing the left hand heated grip (because it was blowing F8. So I figure they had the front Tupperware and frunk removed. I will call them and let them know about the problem and see what they say about bring it back in. Will have to pick a good day, even here in Texas it's not always good riding weather and I don't want to have to leave it again.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Glad to hear you solved this yourself , HOWEVER ....This is exactly why I avoid going to the DEALER if at all possible ...........................Look what happened to Mike in Ga. recently, the dealer's tech's blamed BAJARON's wires for the SE shifter switch going BAD .................RIGHT :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....just sayin Mike :thumbup:

jerpinoy
12-22-2014, 12:01 AM
I just got my RTS back from the Dealership after some repair work and an oil change and I can't get the frunk open. It seems to be closed tighter than it ever was before also. Turning the key down and to the left doesn't work and neither does the electric switch. I have pushed, pulled and banged on the lid, all with no success.:banghead: Anyone have any ideas? I won't be able to call the dealer until Monday and it's a long way back over there.:gaah:

My dealer tried to adjust the linkage but two weeks later I returned it and finally cahge the actuator and switch to fix the issue.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Then I noticed that the glove box was open and wouldn't latch, and I was able to open the saddlebags, but not the trunk.
The glove box opens and closes with a light downward thump on the lid. If by chance you had the handlebar turned far right or left, and the ignition key in the bike lock position, then the glove box may not close. Locking the handlebar, which has to be turned far right or left, also locks the glove box.

Send me a PM and I'll send you, or any other forum member, a description and link to pics on how to open the frunk without the key or electric opener. I may be needlessly paranoid but I hesitate to post the method here since search engine robots scan SL and I don't want to let nefarious characters in on how to do it if I can help it. It's a simple process and takes only a few seconds which is why I don't want to broadcast it.

ahh-cool
12-22-2014, 03:39 AM
A related adventure last night. I took delivery of my new 2014 RTL late yesterday afternoon, rode for a while, then parked it in my driveway. I planned to read the owners manual and remembered that the salesman told me it was in the frunk. I had no idea how to open it. I knew that the owner's manual would tell me how the frunk opens, but I had to open it to get the manual. Then I noticed that the glove box was open and wouldn't latch, and I was able to open the saddlebags, but not the trunk. Sheesh!! I finally remembered the salesman doing something with the ignition switch to raise the seat to get to the fuel filler so I started to examine the switch and saw a sympol that looked kind of like a piece of luggage and finally figured out how to open the frunk without a crowbar. I still had the glove box problem. My wife says, "Start the engine and see if that helps". I said, "That's ridiculous. You shouldn't have to start the bike to open or latch the glove box". But to humor her, I fired it up and, of course, the glove box latch released and allowed the lid to close. I still haven't been able to open the trunk, but I'm sure I'll figure it out this morning with more light and less fatigue.

The basic lesson I got from this is that you have to be smarter than the Spyder - and I failed miserably. How is my poor human brain supposed to compete with the Spyder's seven on-board computers that obviously take pleasure in humiliating humans? :dontknow: I expected a bit of an initiation process, but this borders on hazing - maybe even bullying! But I'll figure it out. A few years of serious study of the manual should do it. ;)

In case you don't know, you have to push in on the key and then turn it counter clockwise