PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot not street legal in Connecticut

Rockwall
12-19-2014, 10:49 AM
See attached story from news. I agree it is not a "motorcycle", but what is it?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/19/connecticut-dmv-says-no-to-polaris-slingshot/?intcmp=features

Rockwall
12-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Apparently the same is true in Texas.

Chupaca
12-19-2014, 11:01 AM
they need their own classification. They can still maintain the motorcycle safety specs but fit somewhere in between the two. The trikes and reverse trikes are at the limit but really have but one difference to a motorcycle...you can't split lanes, which in some states is illegal anyway...jmo and has been from the start.. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 11:01 AM
It'll all get sorted out....eventually! :shocked:
What are they?
Well; if the Spyder, is a motorcycle that gained a wheel...
These must be sports cars; that lost one! :D

garb55
12-19-2014, 11:27 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/19/connecticut-dmv-says-no-to-polaris-slingshot/?intcmp=features

If you live and register a Slingshot in a state where it is legal
Can you drive your Slingshot threw Texas or Connecticut legally?

Also the article states enclosed motor, does that not describe a Spyder?
Don

BajaRon
12-19-2014, 11:32 AM

It is a 3 wheeled, Side-by-Side Go-Cart....

BajaRon
12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Also the article states enclosed motor, does that not describe a Spyder?
Don

It states 'Enclosed driver's seat and Enclosed motor'. If it does not have both then it files under the Connecticut radar and can be registered as a 'Motorcycle'. I'd say BRP did their homework, Polaris did not.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM
this has got to hurt their sales goal

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 11:53 AM
:agree: :shocked:
I also wonder what will happen, if you take your legally-licensed Slingshot, to a State where they cannot be licensed.
Will the reciprocity agreements, keep you safe from unwanted scrutiny? :shocked:

cuznjohn
12-19-2014, 12:26 PM
i wonder if there are any T REX"S registered in Texas or Connecticut

BajaRon
12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
i wonder if there are any T REX"S registered in Texas or Connecticut

Good question. I'm sure Polaris is asking the same thing.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 12:41 PM
"enclosed driver's seat"... Perhaps a few strategic cut-outs, is all that it'll take... :D

BajaRon
12-19-2014, 01:07 PM
"enclosed driver's seat"... Perhaps a few strategic cut-outs, is all that it'll take... :D

Off subject... Sorry!

Bob, you really should archive your Avatars. We could have a museum here on Spyderlovers. A great attraction!

Bob's Avatar Parade!

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
:D I would; but they're all so much better looking, than I am! :shocked: :gaah:

SpyderGTL
12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Actually, it appears that the CT motorcycle definition was written to exclude only the Morgan, since it's engine is outside of the enclosed area. By definition, the T-Rex and Slingshot are not excluded. It appears their DMV is making up their own interpretations. The Spyder does meet their definition of a motorcycle, or at least their DMV decided not to arbitrarily exclude it.

The CT definition of a motorcycle:
Motorcycle - Motorcycle means a motor vehicle, with or without a side car, having not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and a saddle or seat on which the rider sits or a platform on which the rider stands and includes bicycles having a motor attached, except bicycles propelled by means of a helper motor (moped) as defined in Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec 14-286, but does not include a vehicle having a completely or partially enclosed driver’s seat and a motor which is not in the enclosed area.

Interesting enough, the CT DMV must believe it's safer to ride a crotch rocket or any motorcycle with flip flops, shorts, and no helmet than it is to to be belted in a vehicle with roll bars, ABS, and traction control, since they cited safety as a reason for dis-approving the Slingshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockwall
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
$20,000+ is a lot to spend on a machine that may not even be street legal. Polaris must be flipping out!:yikes:

hulksdaddy
12-19-2014, 02:49 PM
It is a 3 wheeled, Side-by-Side Go-Cart....

This has be my contention as well. It's a go-kart. And those aren't allowed on roads.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 02:52 PM
$20,000+ is a lot to spend on a machine that may not even be street legal. Polaris must be flipping out!:yikes:
They actually are street-legal; just not everywhere! :D

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
:agree: :shocked:
I also wonder what will happen, if you take your legally-licensed Slingshot, to a State where they cannot be licensed.
Will the reciprocity agreements, keep you safe from unwanted scrutiny? :shocked:

I am thinking you are grandfathered into the state where you obtained the registration. Reciprocity should be the rule of the day.

But then there is the helmet law thing. Regardless of what state you are registered in, you have to use a helmet in helmet law states. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Perhaps reciprocity only covers the vehicle; not the operator? :dontknow:

CARA @ RIVCO
12-19-2014, 03:36 PM
They actually are street-legal; just not everywhere! :D

We had a customer drop one off with us to visit for our Wisconsin winter - Rich and our techs are scrambling all over it. Our local customer previously owned a Harley, went to the Nielsen dealership traded in his bike and bought it, one of two available100125100126100127100128. Full size racing profile tires and a Chevy engine - it's big, fast, exotic and street legal here in Wisconsin. Cool discussion - thanks - the folks at RIVCO Products

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Sooo... Who gets to take it home at night with them?
For safekeeping; of course! :D

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Sooo... Who gets to take it home at night with them?
For safekeeping; of course! :D

I am guessing that there may be some test miles put on the SS. For quality control purposes of course. :dontknow::dontknow::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smi lie::roflblack::roflblack:

Rockwall
12-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Batman takes it home at night.;)

bruiser
12-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I heard that it's also not legal in Indiana or was it Illinois.

Art Mann
12-19-2014, 04:38 PM
It looks to me like Polaris wanted to build a really cheap little sports car but didn't want to comply with expensive automotive safety regulations. They engineered a sports car with only one rear wheel and called it a motorcycle in order to skirt the regulations. If they didn't anticipate that some states would call them on this maneuver then they were pretty naive.

Rockwall
12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I guess the Slingshot poses zero real competition to BRP.

arntufun
12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
We just turned 260 miles on ours today............... This is the best toy we have ever owned !!!!!!

You want to talk about a Rockstar ???????? Holly and I are more popular than the Beatles in their heyday ...... nojoke

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 05:52 PM
We just turned 260 miles on ours today............... This is the best toy we have ever owned !!!!!!

You want to talk about a Rockstar ???????? Holly and I are more popular than the Beatles in their heyday ...... nojoke

Glad that you are liking it. :yes::yes: Your situation reminds me how it was to have the first :ani29: sold in my State. It drew a crowd wherever I went. Then we got a second one the next year... :yes:

Cal777
12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
we have received rock star treatment, but the Slingshot draws much more attention than the Spyder ever has.

Trickie Dick
12-19-2014, 08:53 PM
I was at my dealer a few weeks ago who also carries Polaris. I asked about this. They indicated they will not be carrying the Slingshot even if is legal. Indicated at this time, it is cannot be registered here in Indiana. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 08:55 PM

Considering that they were no longer touring together, BEFORE you were born; I'm curious if you actually know much about their popularity...

But still... :congrats: On getting yours! :thumbup:

YIRYDE
12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
VA recently created a bill to categorize vehicles like this as autocycles for Tanon Motors http://tanommotors.com, that makes them in Culpepper, VA.

Here is the Bill that addresses the Autocycle, it's a lengthy document but page 1 discusses the definition of an Autocycle. http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?141+ful+CHAP0256+pdf.

retread
12-19-2014, 09:57 PM
THe dealer that will be selling them in Indiana told me the state is using the "apehanger" law to prevent sales, seems somebody measured the distance from the seat to the top of the steering wheel, and decided it was too far. I'm wondering if the wheel was tilted up or down.

john

PCBeachBum
12-19-2014, 10:53 PM
This doesn't surprise me about CT. They just haven't figured how to tax it. Sale price or each MPH over 60 MPH? As a kid in high school in CT we used to complain that the sidewalks rolled up at 8 pm and on Friday and Saturday nights, we often rode around saying "What do you want to do? I don't know! What do you want to do"?

Ralphy? You go straight to bed and Don't give me that look? Your gonna get it!!!:roflblack:

Ah, Yes! The marathon is coming up.:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
12-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes; it is... :D :bowdown:

kep-up
12-20-2014, 07:41 AM
It has a "tilt wheel"? And they want to call it a motorcycle?

Hey, I have an idea for Polaris..........

Add a manual soft top, a bit of body work on the rear, and call it a sports convertible.

Oh, right. Mazda already did that, only with an extra wheel. They call it a Miata.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-20-2014, 09:59 AM
i'm in ny, i would still love to have one if someone in ct. wants to give it to me.:yes:

StanProff
12-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I like the Virginia "autocycle" classification. Also it seems to me that all Polaris needs to do to get by the Connecticut classification is to cut a big hole in the hood to expose the engine. It would then meet one of the two requirements to be a motorcycle. the Spyder RT has an enclosed engine but open seating.
I am sure they will get it worked out. After all In West Va. , in many areas it is legal to ride/drive ATV'S on the roads.

Vossr
12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Funny thing is, you look at that picture, of the back, of the Slingshot.. It certainly seems like, you could actually have dual wheels back there...

DrewNJ
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Bob Denman
12-20-2014, 02:45 PM
:D But then... you'd have all of the automotive safety and emissions standards to keep you busy! :yikes:
Polaris was smart to build it this way. :2thumbs:

CARA @ RIVCO
12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Bruiser - according to a variety of sites, it's in negotiation in four or five states, including Indiana. Also, there is at least one forum board - Slingshot Forum, with comments and photos. And as we have a customer's vehicle, very few people here have been on a test drive, and it is locked up TIGHT here at night! All our best - the folks at RIVCO products