PDA

View Full Version : Dog vocabulary

Pennyrick
12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
We have always had dogs in our home. Right now our two resident canines are Charlie, an Australian Shepard and Ziva, a Harlequin Great Dane.

My wife and I were discussing words that dogs know or react to and as we ran through the dog vocabulary we were surprised at how extensive it is.

In addition to the usual verbal instructions such as "come, go, sit, lay down, heel (a left over from obedience school), up, down, etc." there are several others.

Both dogs know "mail" when it is time to go out to the end of the road to the mail box. They also know "UPS man" and "Federal Express man" although they hear both trucks before we do and start Woofering beforehand.

When it is time to visit the horses, they know the word 'Barn". They can differentiate between the Spyders and the ATVs but to avoid confusion we refer to both as 'bikes". "Run" and 'Walk" are easy. Names are no brainers for both dogs identifying sons and daughters, neighbors and friends.

"Bug man" means it is time to go indoors through the doggie door while the exterior gets sprayed.

"Chain saw" and "Hedge Clipper" are also go inside words while "Leaf Blower" means we can stay outside and have fun.

"Go to doctor" means jump in the car to Ziva, the Dane but it is not nearly as exciting for Charlie, the Aussie who isn't fond of visiting the vet.

Of course, words are just a tiny bit of our dog communication. Facial expressions and body language are a vocabulary all to themselves.

Orange Spyder Man
12-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I have 2 mini Schnauzers.... both are 3 years old.. 1 month apart... they understand a lot ... dogs are smarter than people think...

would like to leave this with dog lovers:

"If dogs do not go to heaven... I want to go where they go when I die !"

OSM

Chupaca
12-17-2014, 12:53 PM
though some verbalize...they do with there expressions and actions. Have had dogs all my life, well till a few months ago. They have all been unique and special in their own ways. Love them but don't know if I could loose another....ah but I do have a three wheeled spyder..!! :yes::yes:

cuznjohn
12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
my two girls know quite a few words also the one that really drives the nuts is when i call to order food and i say delivery, because they know someone in coming here. now min can also talk. one day i dropped a sheet of coarse sandpaper on the floor and when they walked over it they both said RUFF

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Our little Tink has shown a pretty decent vocabulary as well...
Something to eat
Something to drink
Down the stairs
Up the stairs
The ever popular, "Go find Mommy"
In the garage
In the office
Rubba belly... (she loves belly rubs!)
There's the usual cast of characters...(sit, come, stay...)
She also is starting to respond more and more to hand signals as well... :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
12-17-2014, 02:00 PM
We have always had dogs in our home. Right now our two resident canines are Charlie, an Australian Shepard and Ziva, a Harlequin Great Dane.

My wife and I were discussing words that dogs know or react to and as we ran through the dog vocabulary we were surprised at how extensive it is.

In addition to the usual verbal instructions such as "come, go, sit, lay down, heel (a left over from obedience school), up, down, etc." there are several others.

Both dogs know "mail" when it is time to go out to the end of the road to the mail box. They also know "UPS man" and "Federal Express man" although they hear both trucks before we do and start Woofering beforehand.

When it is time to visit the horses, they know the word 'Barn". They can differentiate between the Spyders and the ATVs but to avoid confusion we refer to both as 'bikes". "Run" and 'Walk" are easy. Names are no brainers for both dogs identifying sons and daughters, neighbors and friends.

"Bug man" means it is time to go indoors through the doggie door while the exterior gets sprayed.

"Chain saw" and "Hedge Clipper" are also go inside words while "Leaf Blower" means we can stay outside and have fun.

"Go to doctor" means jump in the car to Ziva, the Dane but it is not nearly as exciting for Charlie, the Aussie who isn't fond of visiting the vet.

Of course, words are just a tiny bit of our dog communication. Facial expressions and body language are a vocabulary all to themselves.

Absolutely no offense meant to either of your dogs but, it has been my experience that these two are on opposite ends of the intelligence pool. I am sure you know which one is on which end.

Cruzr Joe

Pennyrick
12-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Absolutely no offense meant to either of your dogs but, it has been my experience that these two are on opposite ends of the intelligence pool. I am sure you know which one is on which end.

Cruzr Joe

Yep... I understand. We lost our Border collie year before last and he was by far the most intelligent dog who ever owned us. The Aussie comes close but we are very surprised at the Dane. She is the fifth Dane who has ever owned us and she is by far brighter than any of the others.

My theory is that the ten year old Aussie is teaching the two year old Dane.

ARtraveler
12-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Great information. Brings back some memories of Foxy and Cocoa. Both their favorite words were "treat" and "bomer."

PrairieSpyder
12-17-2014, 02:21 PM
My mutt, Fancy Pants, knows lots of words.

"Outside?" If her answer is yes she goes to the back door, or, if she's already there she turns in a circle to say yes. If it's no, she steps away from the door.

"Toy" starts her looking for her favorite road kill toy (it doesn't have any stuffing in it).

She knows "Pa" or "Grandpa" is my dad.

She loves to greet the regular mailman, so when we say "there's Fancy's friend" she goes to the window to look for him.

WA5VHU
12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Our dearly departed Cocker Spaniel used to like to lay in doorways or the middle of the hallway. We taught her to move out of our way by saying "excuse me" to her, just like we were talking to an adult. She would immediately get up and move over and we would then say "thank you" to her. It always fascinated our friends.

Charles

Pennyrick
12-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Yep... I understand. We lost our Border collie year before last and he was by far the most intelligent dog who ever owned us. The Aussie comes close but we are very surprised at the Dane. She is the fifth Dane who has ever owned us and she is by far brighter than any of the others.

My theory is that the ten year old Aussie is teaching the two year old Dane.

Just a bit more on this.......

Ziva, the Dane has sixteen toys and five teething bones. She can identify all the toys by the name we say when she goes to the toy box. This includes two toys that are the same. One we refer to as 'Blue Dog' while the other one is 'New Blue Dog'. Old Blue dog only has one ear.

She can almost do the same for the bones but mixes three of them up that look similar.

The Aussie has no interest in toys. He'd rather be on line searching the internet.:clap:

cuznjohn
12-17-2014, 05:00 PM
my first dog knew the difference between my moms twin brothers by their name ralph and angelo

spydaman60
12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
has the biggest vocabulary of any dog we have ever had!
"mom's home"- immediately starts a greeting bark and runs to the door
"dads home"- same thing
"have you kissed mom today?"- seeks out mom and licks her on the chin
"bird","duck" or "goose" - immediately runs to the gun room
"belly rub" - rolls over with paws up in the air
"treat" - runs to his treat jar
"dinner, lunch or breakfast" - goes to the kitchen table and sits down
"bedtime" - runs upstairs and lays down on his bed
"going to the big woods" -heads out to the truck with his stuffed animal and knows we're going to the cabin
"dunkin donuts" - heads for the car (no wonder he's 100#'s)
"dairy queen" - same
"ruger, otis, oliver or major" - his four nephews that come to visit
"go swimmimg?" - goes to the closet and grabs his retriever dummy
the list goes on, but the best one of all times was the time I let him out at the cabin and told him to go find the bird! fifteen minutes later he was laying by the grill with a grouse in his mouth. deader than a door nail. the wife was there, or no one would have ever believed me!nojoke

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I hope that you cooked it for him... :D :thumbup:

spydaman60
12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
I hope that you cooked it for him... :D :thumbup:sad to say I should have. or maybe I should have had a taxidermist do it up, but truth is, it was out of season and I didn't want to get caught with it.:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
THAT's when it gets cleaned and cooked for the hard-working dog! :thumbup:

Next time; try, "go get the million dollars!"

SDM
12-17-2014, 06:45 PM
When it was time to close up for the night, we would say "monsters in the box" and my 2 dear departed sillies:pray:, Morpheous and Odo, would both get into their cage at night. They knew they would get a treat.

kep-up
12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Aussies are the best!

cognaccruiser
12-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Our dearly departed Cocker Spaniel used to like to lay in doorways or the middle of the hallway. We taught her to move out of our way by saying "excuse me" to her, just like we were talking to an adult. She would immediately get up and move over and we would then say "thank you" to her. It always fascinated our friends.

Charles

It's funny that you say this because coincidentally all of our dogs learned exactly the same thing from us and it went down pretty much the same way.

All of our dogs knew the word truck and would all start getting excited because they thought they were going for a ride. We couldn't use the word in conversation without the reaction. So we had to start spelling the word.

Our last Siberian Husky would get up from wherever he was lying down and head up the stairs to our room if we said, "Kodi, bed time".
Our Keshond would get up and come with me to lie on the bed with me if I said lets "go have a nap"
Lots of other words they knew too.

Gary

Cruzr Joe
12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I once had an old rescue dog that knew hundreds of commands (i think) but chose to ignore all of them (maybe he was deaf?).:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :

Cruzr Joe

mowin
12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Ours know all the usual stuff. Breakfast is obviously there favorite (use it for dinner as well). Spud will lay on my lap, and when I ask him wher his belly is, he immediately flops over and id belly rubbin time. I will hide Sammys squeaky toy and tell her to "hunt it up". Its amazing what they understand.

Bob Denman
12-18-2014, 08:40 AM
I once had an old rescue dog that knew hundreds of commands (i think) but chose to ignore all of them (maybe he was deaf?).:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :

Cruzr Joe

Isn't that what your lovely Bride says about you?? :shocked:

lwrydr
12-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Here is a pic of Diva jumping over Bruce....at night we tell Diva to "go get Bruce" so they can go outside...she goes into the bedroom where he is asleep and wakes him up and they both go to the door.....

Spyder_Cowgirl
12-18-2014, 09:33 AM
In an effort to keep ours from going "nuts" over the word 'treat' ... we started to spell it. Sadly, or maybe happily, we have now discovered that they can SPELL too! Daisy the dachsund is even smart enough to know when I spell it wrong ... -T-R-E-A-T gets a reaction while -T-R-E-E-T only gets an ear twitch.

Dogs are great! Best Regards ... Ann

cuznjohn
12-18-2014, 11:07 AM
my mindi that is my younger one went for dog training lessons with me, and i learned to sit and stay and shut up and give up trying to train her 100084 mindi is the front one and cindi is behind her

ARtraveler
12-18-2014, 03:03 PM
In an effort to keep ours from going "nuts" over the word 'treat' ... we started to spell it. Sadly, or maybe happily, we have now discovered that they can SPELL too! Daisy the dachsund is even smart enough to know when I spell it wrong ... -T-R-E-A-T gets a reaction while -T-R-E-E-T only gets an ear twitch.

Dogs are great! Best Regards ... Ann

Along similar lines. My two cats are also acclimated to the word "treat" or "catnip." They will instantly stop what they are doing and line up side by side awaiting the treat.

If I want it to be a surprise, I will go for the "T's" or "C's." They have not figured out spelling yet. Our dog friends seem to have it on that account.

AppleSpyder
12-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Our two little guys have learned when we put on our Packer jerseys it's time to go to my sister's house to watch the game. They get so excited when they see we have them on. They run to the door and back to us like they are saying "hurry up already".

Pandy
12-19-2014, 04:51 AM
though some verbalize...they do with there expressions and actions. Have had dogs all my life, well till a few months ago. They have all been unique and special in their own ways. Love them but don't know if I could loose another....ah but I do have a three wheeled spyder..!! :yes::yes:
Aw, c'mon yes,it's hard to lose a furbaby but in the end you'll outlive all but your last one. That's what keeps us going back for more.
One tetched human, Patrick

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 08:01 AM
They may only be here for the shortest time... :shocked:

...But they enrich our lives, and make us better people! :thumbup:

The last thing that any of our beloved pets would want; is for us to be unhappy.
Celebrate the joy that they brought to your life...
...even if it seems to hurt a little bit to do so.

Chupaca
12-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Not crazy about outliving them or leaving them behind but time heals all and I may get another....:dontknow:

Aw, c'mon yes,it's hard to lose a furbaby but in the end you'll outlive all but your last one. That's what keeps us going back for more.
One tetched human, Patrick

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 11:57 AM
I understand fully... :thumbup:
You obviously still have lots of love left to give to them!

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
They may only be here for the shortest time... :shocked:

...But they enrich our lives, and make us better people! :thumbup:

The last thing that any of our beloved pets would want; is for us to be unhappy.
Celebrate the joy that they brought to your life...
...even if it seems to hurt a little bit to do so.

:agree: Pets deserve a good home and good people. They do give us so much in return. Their time seems to go by very fast and most of the time we outlast them. It is sad to see them go, but I try to think of the good times they brought to me.

I actually appreciate the two friends I have a bit more than I did before the recent passing of my cat Cinnamon.

Bob Denman
12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Have you ever noticed; that a new pet never actually replaces an old friend...
They just sort of end up finding their own special spot in your heart! nojoke

ARtraveler
12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Have you ever noticed; that a new pet never actually replaces an old friend...
They just sort of end up finding their own special spot in your heart! nojoke

Right on. Each one is "special" in their own way. :yes::yes: