PDA

View Full Version : Rattigan Roger's "Next" confusion is catching

Pennyrick
12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Our middle son emails this morning and says, "our construction is a bit behind schedule so we'll try to be at your place around noon next Friday."

Using Roger logic that would mean they would arrive on December 19th. But I remember the thread that Roger started where several folks disagreed with this logic and that would suggest my son meant December 26th.

"What do you think he means", I asked my wife?

"I'm thinking the 19th, but you'd better check with him", she says.

So I call him and ask for clarification and he says...."if we were going to be there on the 19th, I would have said this Friday, not next".

So, there is yet another argument against Roger's stance.

Cruzr Joe
12-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Insanity is hereditary .................................. You get it from your kids.

That's all I have to say on this issue.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
We have found that it's best to get the actual date included in scheduling conversations... :thumbup:

...Not that it guarantees they're actually showing up; but it can't hurt! :D

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
:shocked::hun:
Next; you'll be making me, "jumpy"...

Chupaca
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
snafu's abound so make it a habit to ask what date is that...make take a while for a response (they have to do the math or find the calendar on their phone) but no one looks silly showing up at the wrong day...:roflblack:

Pennyrick
12-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Although I am not sure why you decided to limit my confusion on the meaning of next.
I’m equally confused as to an almost infinite range of topics.

There is a concept in computer science called a jump.
A jump, obviously means, to go somewhere else in the program and start executing from there.

A jump can be either absolute or relative.

Next is the chronological equivalent of the jump.
I want next to be absolute others insist on making it relative.

Roger:

As a retired newspaper publisher, to me the word 'Jump' is a noun, a verb or an adjective.

When a story is too long to fit on one page (of either the newspaper or the web site page) it is 'jumped' to another place. Thus in the phrase 'jump the story' it is used as a verb.

The place the story is continued on is called the 'jump' or 'jump page' and so it becomes a noun or an adjective.

Cruzr Joe
12-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Who dared to wind Roger up this close to Christmas?????

While I am here I just want to say .....................................MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
12-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I like the idea of getting an actual date to verify that we are all on the same page.

Now I am getting a bit "jumpy" also. :yes:

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
So; when is Christmas?
Next Thursday; or the one after that? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
12-17-2014, 03:31 PM
So; when is Christmas?
Next Thursday; or the one after that? :dontknow:

1: Next Thursday, not "this" Thursday coming up.

2: Thursday 12/25/2014.

Take your choice. :roflblack::roflblack:

JerryB
12-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: So; when is Christmas?

It is when they let you open your presents. :yes:

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 05:53 PM
:shocked: Uh-Oh...
They've already been opened; does that mean that I missed it? :yikes:

Dan McNally
12-17-2014, 06:52 PM
This is "Next!"

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
...and even the best! :thumbup:

spydaman60
12-17-2014, 07:08 PM
So by my extremely scientific study about 20% of the population views NEXT=the next time it’s XXXday.
About 80% view THIS = this coming XXXday and NEXT=XXXday coming in the next week.

I have decided to dedicate the rest of my life to either convincing the 80% that they are wrong or restoring a 1964 Karmann Ghia.

I am still deciding.
I’ll have my answer next Tuesday.this Tuesday has already past, so is next Tuesday actually this coming Tuesday?:roflblack::roflblack:

Yazz
12-17-2014, 07:15 PM
So by my extremely scientific study about 20% of the population views NEXT=the next time it’s XXXday.
About 80% view THIS = this coming XXXday and NEXT=XXXday coming in the next week.

I have decided to dedicate the rest of my life to either convincing the 80% that they are wrong or restoring a 1964 Karmann Ghia.

I am still deciding.
I’ll have my answer next Tuesday.

Karmann Ghieas are cool. :yes:

ARtraveler
12-17-2014, 07:57 PM

I am still deciding.

Go with the Karmann Ghia--nice stuff.

jScotD
12-17-2014, 11:04 PM
I promise to finish the project

scot

jScotD
12-17-2014, 11:08 PM
AMX...BMW....RE.....5150........RSSPY..

yep give me a few years and we will be right up to par;)

Illinois Boy
12-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Although I am not sure why you decided to limit my confusion on the meaning of next.
I’m equally confused as to an almost infinite range of topics.

There is a concept in computer science called a jump. A jump, obviously means, to go somewhere else in the program and start executing from there.

A jump can be either absolute or relative. Next is the chronological equivalent of the jump.
I want next to be absolute others insist on making it relative.

I have to agree with you on your view of "next". LOL!

While not near as annoying as "next"; but I have trouble with Christmas Eve. When someone tells me they will arrive Christmas Eve, I take them literally and expect them to arrive in the evening of the 24th -- NOT in the morning.

My sister constantly says this and arrives early. To me; if you are arriving early on the 24th you should say "Christmas Eve Day". ;)

Bob Denman
12-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I don’t own the ’64 yet.
I’m deciding between a ’64 ($3500) and a ’70 ($6800) KG.
Both are about the same shape, i.e. needs restored but neither a complete basket case.

I’ll update my will as soon as I decide.:sour:

Please give serious consideration to the '64...

There's something cool, about driving a 50 year-old car! :D :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
12-18-2014, 09:42 AM

I am still deciding.

I'm part of the 80%, Roger. I think you've gotten the logic right.
Now we can introduce the question of tense. Think of the additional confusion from "Remember last Tuesday when . . .?" Is that the most previous Tuesday or the Tuesday of the previous week? (Just stirring the puddin'.)

When I was in Junior HS, my brother drove us to school in a Karmann Ghia. I was in 7th grade and he was in 9th. (You can get a learners permit at 14yo in Kansas.) We can't remember the year of the car but it must have been from the early 60s. It was a great little car. I can't wait to see your project underway!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-18-2014, 07:27 PM
I had a chance to buy a fully re-done Karman Ghia in 1976. I was put off by the $1,700 price. It was a beautiful powder blue color.

Now, I could kick myself. :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
12-18-2014, 07:48 PM
:shocked: All of our "Woulda, Shoulda, and Couldas", can drive us mad! :gaah: