PDA

View Full Version : Recommended luggage or bag for passenger seat position

jcthorne
12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Last year be bought a Kuryakyn touring bag that fastens to the passenger seat. Wife uses it on her bike but has to remove the driver back rest for it to fit.

I put it on my bike with the Ultimate tallboy seat and it ALMOST fits fine with my driver back rest installed.

I need to get another passenger seat bag so we each have one for the trip to Spyderfest (We will be on the road for 10 to 12 days, our first extended bike trip).

Any suggestions on other ones that work well for this application? We like the Kuryakyn touring bag other than its a bit too deep front to back to fit well on the Spyder passenger seat. 1" less and it would be perfect.

PrairieSpyder
12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
My solution to that problem was an RT622 trailer!

GunDoctor
12-17-2014, 11:23 AM
T-bag has always worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highwayman2013
12-17-2014, 11:34 AM
You could take less, or maybe ship some things ahead.100043

murphybrown
12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I purchased a Dry Bag from REI...worked great...holds lots. 100% weather proof.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 11:52 AM
10 or 12 days? Pack lightly, buy clothes along the way, and mail the dirty laundry home! :thumbup:
(I'll bet that the Post Office finds a way to get it to your house! :shocked:)

PrairieSpyder
12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
10 or 12 days? Pack lightly, buy clothes along the way, and mail the dirty laundry home! :thumbup:
(I'll bet that the Post Office finds a way to get it to your house! :shocked:)

You could also take old clothes that only deserve one more wearing, donate them along the way, and shop at thrift stores for replacements.

ingramsail
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM

I have a Saddlemen bag that fits the RT, use on 2012 rt. Will be riding two up this year and wound make you a deal on it, like new.

Chupaca
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
try nelson riggs and the harley shops. I travel light and enjoy the ryde more than weather I'm dressed to some code. Always a laundermat around...:thumbup:

mstella101
12-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Since your riding 'one -up' take a look at the Dowco 'Iron Rider' series. I secured three pieces to my backrest. couldn't believe how much they held. 2 main bags and an overnighter. Bought the extension straps , that was the only way it worked. It was a little tough to lift the seat for fill-ups , but other than that they are great bags! Plus also great to use for regular travel.

JKMSPYDER
12-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Google First Gear and look up the Dry Pak bags. They are 100% waterproof and come in three sizes. I bought one for my ST-S and strap it on my passenger seat behind the driver backrest.

IGETAROUND
12-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Nelson Rigg is a sponsor on the site; can't find what you need from them check with Aerostich they are also top notch and have a wide selection. :clap::yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-17-2014, 06:52 PM
JC, some nice idea's and bgs up above ......and since you do have some time beforehand .........you could put in My gas door Mod ( cost about $ 20 ),....then you wouldn't have to lift the seat..........................Just throwrin this out there .................Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM

I have a Saddlemen bag that fits the RT, use on 2012 rt. Will be riding two up this year and wound make you a deal on it, like new.

Thanks but at 19" deep its too big to fit on my back seat.

jcthorne
12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
T-bag has always worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the look of the T-bag back seat bag but it does not come with the mounting system like the Kuryakn. Not sure how I would tie it down. Passenger hand grips?

cognaccruiser
12-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Another here that has used "dry bags" the rare times when I'm solo.

Easy to use, keep things dry and pretty rugged. Some other good suggestions have been made.

Gary

cognaccruiser
12-17-2014, 07:07 PM
I really like the look of the T-bag back seat bag but it does not come with the mounting system like the Kuryakn. Not sure how I would tie it down. Passenger hand grips?

I've had T Bags and liked them a lot. They used to have some models that had components that you could detach to use only the parts you need.
Yes, the passenger grab handles would be good for tying down but wouldn't you have to untie to lift the seat unless you did the gas door mod.

Gary

Yazz
12-17-2014, 07:11 PM

T-bags are great! If you have a gas door, you could tie it down to the passenger hand grips.

Otherwise, lift up the seat and put the tie-downs under the seat and secure it on the opposite side of the T-bag. That way you can lift up the seat to get gas.

When fueling up, if the bag is heavy, I put my foot on the rider's peg and wedge my knee under the seat. Keeps the seat up and easy peasy.

chuck gross
12-17-2014, 07:16 PM
TOURMASTER NYLON CRUISER 111 XL on sale at AMAZON makes three different sizes of sissy bar bags I have the XL it has three different compartments side compartments for shoes and comes with adjustable straps that I attach to the passenger grips it also comes with an adjustable velcro wrap that you could wrap around a sissy bar if you had one so I used to wrap it around my passenger backrest until I realized it wasn't needed it is made out of fairly stiff and somewhat waterproof material and comes with a rain cover for the heavy down pours I purchased mine through motorcycle superstore fast and free shipping. I am extremely happy with the quality and usefulness of this bag :thumbup:

Dragonrider
12-17-2014, 08:16 PM
I have the BRP frunk rollie and two old GW soft saddlebag liners. Never needed anything else...

cptjam
12-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Ortlieb dry bag. Any size you want. Dry stuff is good. No matter the length of the trip, you only need 5 days of clothes. Laundromats are everywhere!

2Paw
12-18-2014, 12:13 AM
T-bags are great! If you have a gas door, you could tie it down to the passenger hand grips.

Otherwise, lift up the seat and put the tie-downs under the seat and secure it on the opposite side of the T-bag. That way you can lift up the seat to get gas.

When fueling up, if the bag is heavy, I put my foot on the rider's peg and wedge my knee under the seat. Keeps the seat up and easy peasy.

If you turn your handlebars all the way to the right with the seat up it will then rest on the bars while fueling.

Vossr
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
I've had a Kuryakyn Tombstone bag for years, 2 wheels and now 3 wheels. It has internal support so it can act as a backrest.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/702/tombstone-bag

KX5062
12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Bilt Explorer Dry Bag, size L from Cycle Gear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Explorer-Dry-Bag

MarkLawson
12-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Go to the canoe section of your local sporting goods store and you'll find dry bags designed to keep stiff dry even when submerged in water.

Bfromla
02-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Emgo buffalo bag a bud gave me great sissy bar bag on two wheel now on 3 locked down with helmet lock 102722 holds my gear & machine washable every few months lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoot2Mtns
02-25-2015, 06:38 AM
I recommend that you use straps, not bungees to tie your bag to the spyder. Bungees have an unfortunate tendency to unhook, lose their strength, stretch on a bounce, etc. Then your stuff or the loose end of the bungee ends up somewhere you really don't want it! (Hmmm, how do I know this?) I can recommend some straps from Helen2Wheels. I haven't used them on my new Spyder yet but have used them for motorcycle trips.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/7914/Helen_Twowheels_Super_Pack_Straps

Dan McNally
02-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Every trip I've taken, I've paid attention to what I didn't use, and, over time, have pretty much gotten to the point where everything I need fits inside my RT, rather than in a bag on the back seat. I do, however, have to wash some clothes every two or three days.

In the last years of my working life, I was an emergency planner, always thinking about what could go wrong and how to prevent it, and that is a hard mindset to break. As a result, when there is a bag on my back seat, I am always worried about it still being there when I come out of a gas station rest room or a place where I stopped for lunch. I no longer have that worry by packing light.

Four sets of underwear and socks, two or three shirts, two pair of jeans and two pair of shorts if the weather warrants, a quart of oil, tools, raingear, a tire repair kit, an extra pair of shoes, and a small kit bag with toothpaste, toothbrush, etc . . . and a bottle of acetaminophen, camera gear, computer tablet, and associated chargers, and bottles of water, stuffed in where they will fit, and I'm pretty much good to go.

Riding jacket and pants get a steel cable run through the arms and legs and locked to the Spyder, along with my helmet, for lunch breaks.

PaladinLV
03-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Last year be bought a Kuryakyn touring bag that fastens to the passenger seat. Wife uses it on her bike but has to remove the driver back rest for it to fit.

I put it on my bike with the Ultimate tallboy seat and it ALMOST fits fine with my driver back rest installed.

I need to get another passenger seat bag so we each have one for the trip to Spyderfest (We will be on the road for 10 to 12 days, our first extended bike trip).

Any suggestions on other ones that work well for this application? We like the Kuryakyn touring bag other than its a bit too deep front to back to fit well on the Spyder passenger seat. 1" less and it would be perfect.

:thumbup: