PDA

View Full Version : MAINTENANCE QUESTION

JKMSPYDER
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I try to do much of my own maintenance when I can. I noticed in my owners manual that it said to lube the front suspension arms at a certain mileage. Are these the arms under each front shock that connect to the ball joint in each wheel? I looked at mine and did not see a grease fitting. Am I looking in the wrong place? I ride a '13 ST-S.

SPYD3R
12-16-2014, 08:09 PM
there are 8 fittings, 2 up, 2 down, at the ends of the A arms....
whomever design this system and put 'straight up' grease fittings needs to have his/her head tightened up.... i R&R mine with 90 deg. fittings...
dp
PS: mine is an '09 RS...

Orange Spyder Man
12-16-2014, 08:12 PM
are the same fittings on the 14 RT's as well ???

OSM

revjvegas
12-16-2014, 08:12 PM
You're close.
Look at the opposite end where it connects to the frame of the bike. There's four points to grease on each side.

Not sure about the ST, but on the RT its just about a requirement to take off the frunk to get to the grease zerts. Thankfully, its not all that hard to take off the frunk.

JKMSPYDER
12-16-2014, 08:28 PM
I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. I looked at the ends of the A arms under the frunk with a flashlight and didn't see any zerks fittings. The ends under the frunk look just like the ends that join at the wheel. :banghead:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
there are 8 fittings, 2 up, 2 down, at the ends of the A arms....
whomever design this system and put 'straight up' grease fittings needs to have his/her head tightened up.... i R&R mine with 90 deg. fittings...
dp
PS: mine is an '09 RS...
:gaah:....Dan that's because the 45 degree angle ones cost .03 more each......................do you think BRP is going to throw all that much money away :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack::roflblack:..........JMHO.........Mike :thumbup:

M109Dreamer
12-16-2014, 09:43 PM
I have purchased 90' and 45' zerks and when it comes time to lube them I am going to remove the fronk and swap them out for the ones that work the best for the location. But Im a little timid in the fact that I havent pulled the fronk before, but there is always a first I guess.

Ben Burped
12-16-2014, 10:53 PM
I have purchased 90' and 45' zerks and when it comes time to lube them I am going to remove the fronk and swap them out for the ones that work the best for the location. But Im a little timid in the fact that I havent pulled the fronk before, but there is always a first I guess.

Build a sloping platform at a similar angle to the bottom of the "frunk" and cover it with a piece of scrap carpet. Slide this under the "frunk" to support it. The following is the listed disassembly order to remove the "frunk". Remove the mirrors. Remove service covers. Remove middle side panels. Remove top side panels. Remove front fascia. Remove 2 T-30 retaining screws on both sides of the "frunk" and 4 more T-30 retaining screws under the black service panels . Now disconnect all the odd connectors above both shocks. Take the two small bolts out of the hood switch. You will break it if you try to remove the connectors. Disconnect the storage cover actuator connector and finally disconnect the storage cover cable. Now remove 2 10 MM bolts underneath the "frunk" and it is ready to slide the support you made under it. Lift it off by sliding the support in. I routinely do this as a one man project. As you disassemble things, put the bolts in Ziploc bags and label them in them in the order they were removed. It's not a piece of cake but it is very doable.

M109Dreamer
12-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Build a sloping platform at a similar angle to the bottom of the "frunk" and cover it with a piece of scrap carpet. Slide this under the "frunk" to support it. The following is the listed disassembly order to remove the "frunk". Remove the mirrors. Remove service covers. Remove middle side panels. Remove top side panels. Remove front fascia. Remove 2 T-30 retaining screws on both sides of the "frunk" and 4 more T-30 retaining screws under the black service panels . Now disconnect all the odd connectors above both shocks. Take the two small bolts out of the hood switch. You will break it if you try to remove the connectors. Disconnect the storage cover actuator connector and finally disconnect the storage cover cable. Now remove 2 10 MM bolts underneath the "frunk" and it is ready to slide the support you made under it. Lift it off by sliding the support in. I routinely do this as a one man project. As you disassemble things, put the bolts in Ziploc bags and label them in them in the order they were removed. It's not a piece of cake but it is very doable.
Wow, based on your discription is there by chance a video of this? I have the manual for the RT and hopefully if a video isnt available Ill have that atleast.

Chupaca
12-17-2014, 01:37 AM
100029 100030 here are a couple of shots with the frunk off. You can see the fittings on the upper arm right where those bolts are on either side of the center frame. There are two more on the lower arms as well.. :thumbup:

SpyRyd
12-17-2014, 09:51 AM
are the same fittings on the 14 RT's as well ???

OSM

Nope. No greasing the A Arm Bushings on the 14 RT.

Purple Guy
12-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Wow, based on your discription is there by chance a video of this? I have the manual for the RT and hopefully if a video isnt available Ill have that atleast.

This isn't a bad video on a Frunk removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6QAFUJl34

JKMSPYDER
12-17-2014, 11:10 AM
​How about a video on how to remove an ST frunk?

Bob Denman
12-17-2014, 11:49 AM
It's actually the same process; the above video will be able to safely guide you along the path... :thumbup:

hsteil
06-02-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100029&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100030&stc=1 here are a couple of shots with the frunk off. You can see the fittings on the upper arm right where those bolts are on either side of the center frame. There are two more on the lower arms as well.. :thumbup:

just ran across your frunk removal instructions. obviously you took your spyder thru the paces, hence, a question if I may. and recommendations as to the best way to lift the animal up?
which lift do you use and where are the correct support points? my motorcycle lift is of no help here I assume.
Peter in Germany.

wis2013rtltd
06-02-2015, 04:34 PM
are present on any of the 13 or 14 models...

There were none on my 13 RT and none on my 14 RT

Chupaca
06-02-2015, 06:12 PM
just ran across your frunk removal instructions. obviously you took your spyder thru the paces, hence, a question if I may. and recommendations as to the best way to lift the animal up?
which lift do you use and where are the correct support points? my motorcycle lift is of no help here I assume.
Peter in Germany.

I used a floor jack ( the blue one ) placed at the box frame end to lift and A stands at A-frame ends by the wheels to support. The yellow lift to lift the whole unit..
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108717&stc=1

Flamewinger
07-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I found this 90° fitting with extension hose worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davev1pa
06-14-2021, 08:01 AM
I was able to grease all 4 on each side w/o frunk removal on my 12 RTL..didn't seem too hard...but took me a while to see them all.