PDA

View Full Version : This just irks me personally

Bfromla
12-14-2014, 10:28 PM
99939 I make it a point to direct store managment towards every chance i get & make statments to ppl i catch leaving there just lazy & they have no clue! Just a rant but happy holidays everyone ;)

Ben Burped
12-14-2014, 10:39 PM
This is similar to peeing in your pants in a dark suit. It gave you a warm feeling but nobody noticed.:bdh:

SpyderAnn01
12-14-2014, 11:13 PM
If that irks you this will really get you hot. No handicap plate, sticker or hang tag and a Spyder to boot. 99940 :shocked:

Bfromla
12-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Not so much really lot of people & places dont know what a proper loading zone is, was a hot topic with my friends , places to park bikes, what color stripe zones are what, and various curb manners , utility (man hole) covers and what not, I'm learning more about legal on it daily. And is surprising what and how many qualify for it. Now catching teens using the battery's up in carts in the store for giggles, ya im good & ignorant redneck making a seen to show how cool they aint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Aawen
12-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Being both a Spyder Ryder and someone who does have a handicap parking permit, that pic & comments above re a Spyder in a handicap parking slot could be quite misleading & might even be offensive to the rider, who as far as we can see may well also hold & have been displaying a handicap parking permit that's just not visible to anyone driving past!! My handicap parking permit isn't always visible to someone driving past either, but as required by the law, it is obvious to any parking inspector or cop who might want to get out, look at the bike, & check. Just because you can't see it from the road doesn't necessarily mean that any vehicle parked in a handicap parking zone isn't actually displaying one..... ;)

After more than 20 years of being unable to get around much at all without a suitably modified vehicle & certainly not being able to ride a motorcycle - all due to the ongoing effects of injuries received in the service of my country, my Spyder with it's greater stability, single pedal braking, & semi-auto gearbox meant that I can once again be mobile and enjoy riding once more!! (so I call it my Hi-speed Mobility Scooter :D) My handicap parking permit was granted because once out of said vehicle or off my Spyder, I can't move too far, despite using walking sticks & sometimes needing assistance - and it really gets my goat when people don't bother to look for the permit before make rude comments or casting judgements about a Spyder in a handicap parking zone!! So what if I still make an effort to get the most out of one of the few things I can still do & enjoy?! Not all disabilites are clearly visible, & not all handicap parking permits are used by people who drive cages fitted with hand controls! But yeah, leaving shopping trolleys or other stuff blocking access to Handicap parking spots gets on my goat too!! :mad:

Bfromla
12-15-2014, 03:59 AM
There was a member while back had a post of how his wife helped make a secure way for him to hang his permit on his spyder i dont have pic but was effective. When i first got mine i had to stamp holes in it and use windshield bolts, (While waiting for the dmv to order proper tag, (did offer just did not stock in my area). We are uncommon and more why I had to share first pic. We are out there and spyder's can help so many & ya the cool factor aint bad either :)99952

sailorboats4u
12-15-2014, 05:16 AM
but above the spyder was parked in the loading / landing zone next to the HP spot? he ws blocking the spot from someone needing the landing zone.

i have a hang tag in my pick up.

Bob G. BM1(sw) Ret

JayBros
12-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Stuff happens! If you look very closely at the Constitution with a magnifying glass you'll see in the Bill of Rights the right to act like an a-hole.

MisterP
12-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Being both a Spyder Ryder and someone who does have a handicap parking permit, that pic & comments above re a Spyder in a handicap parking slot could be quite misleading & might even be offensive to the rider, who as far as we can see may well also hold & have been displaying a handicap parking permit that's just not visible to anyone driving past!! My handicap parking permit isn't always visible to someone driving past either, but as required by the law, it is obvious to any parking inspector or cop who might want to get out, look at the bike, & check. Just because you can't see it from the road doesn't necessarily mean that any vehicle parked in a handicap parking zone isn't actually displaying one..... ;)

After more than 20 years of being unable to get around much at all without a suitably modified vehicle & certainly not being able to ride a motorcycle - all due to the ongoing effects of injuries received in the service of my country, my Spyder with it's greater stability, single pedal braking, & semi-auto gearbox meant that I can once again be mobile and enjoy riding once more!! (so I call it my Hi-speed Mobility Scooter :D) My handicap parking permit was granted because once out of said vehicle or off my Spyder, I can't move too far, despite using walking sticks & sometimes needing assistance - and it really gets my goat when people don't bother to look for the permit before make rude comments or casting judgements about a Spyder in a handicap parking zone!! So what if I still make an effort to get the most out of one of the few things I can still do & enjoy?! Not all disabilites are clearly visible, & not all handicap parking permits are used by people who drive cages fitted with hand controls! But yeah, leaving shopping trolleys or other stuff blocking access to Handicap parking spots gets on my goat too!! :mad:

That Spyder is illegally parked whether they have a tag or not. It looks like they parked in the ramp access area for the spot to the left, used by wheelchair ramps on side loaded vans. If not the ramp load area, there is a ramp built into the sidewalk for disabled access, defined by the lined area.

Either way, they are parked illegally, and I wouldn't have a problem calling them on it. And yes, I have a wheelchair plate on the Fat White Chick...

I agree with your comment about people making assumptions that riders of motorcycles shouldn't have disabled tags. Down here in Floriduh the only time I will get a space is in the summer anyway - the snowbirds get them during the season down here.

Orange Spyder Man
12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
has it occurred to anyone that whom ever left that shopping cart where it was ... may be handicapped... ?? nuff said

OSM

cuznjohn
12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
i was watching a show the other night, sorry i don't remember the show or where it was tried out, but they took pictures of real people in wheelchairs and installed them just under the handicap sign for van access spots and no one parked in the spots that they tried this on. you see people pulling into the spot and than backing out to find a different spot.

Art Mann
12-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Many of the people I see parking in handicapped spaces don't look very handicapped. I have to wonder how often people are issued permits who don't need them and how often people who are not handicapped borrow a vehicle or hang tag from someone who is handicapped.

Dan_Ashley
12-15-2014, 12:38 PM
There was a member while back had a post of how his wife helped make a secure way for him to hang his permit on his spyder i dont have pic but was effective. When i first got mine i had to stamp holes in it and use windshield bolts, (While waiting for the dmv to order proper tag, (did offer just did not stock in my area). We are uncommon and more why I had to share first pic. We are out there and spyder's can help so many & ya the cool factor aint bad either :)99952

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalki poked holes in mine, and use a cable tie. When I'm ready to go, I just cut the cable tie. So far, nobody has stolen the placard.

MisterP
12-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Many of the people I see parking in handicapped spaces don't look very handicapped. I have to wonder how often people are issued permits who don't need them and how often people who are not handicapped borrow a vehicle or hang tag from someone who is handicapped.

I have seen young people here in FL get out of Mom's or Grandma's car with the hang tag on. The tag is issued to the person, not the vehicle. If a cop sees them, they may get a ticket. Cops can't be everywhere, so they usually get away with it.

Down here in snowbird season you can't swing a cat without hitting a wheelchair permit, so getting a space is usually a crap shoot anyway.

ARtraveler
12-15-2014, 02:41 PM
HC issues can inflame a lot of people. I have developed a list of peeves since my mobility issues have declined. I will keep them to myself.

Most people seem to obey the use of the spaces and display the hang tag or plates. It does not pay to challenge one as to whether they do or do not qualify to use the space. Appearances can be deceiving. Yes, I have a problem with the teenage driver who jumps out of the otherwise unoccupied car with HC identification and goes running into the store.

I use a hang tag on my :spyder2:. I put it in a zip lock bag which has been folded to hang tag size. I leave a fold over portion at the top. This goes over the windshield and two clothes pins complete the attachment. Never lost a hang tag due to vandals.
The plastic from the zip lock bag prevents the windshield plastic from being scratched.

I used this set up one day and watched another geezer writing me a nasty note about HC spaces. I limped out to my bike with the assist of my cane and pointed with the cane to the HC tag on the windshield. He felt a bit embarrassed, and I am guessing he will back off the judgment stuff in the future. :yes:

ptbperegrine
12-16-2014, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=Bfromla;914253]There was a member while back had a post of how his wife helped make a secure way for him to hang his permit on his spyder i dont have pic but was effective. When i first got mine i had to stamp holes in it and use windshield bolts, (While waiting for the dmv to order proper tag, (did offer just did not stock in my area). We are uncommon and more why I had to share first pic. We are out there and spyder's can help so many & ya the cool factor aint bad either :)99952

I use the BRP Tank Bag which has a (WARNING! Old technology alert!) clearview panel on top so that you can see your road map at a glance. ;p

Because you need to open 2 zippers in the bag to access this section, it's reasonably secure and VERY obvious to anyone who wants to check if I'm illegally parked in a disabled parking spot. :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
12-16-2014, 12:28 AM

I walked around the Spyder to be sure that it did not have a parking permit on it. But even if it did it is not legal to park in the zone between 2 handicap spaces, they are for loading and unloading from the adjacent spaces.. I have several friends who have proper handicap permits on their Spyders, this one did not.

Bfromla
12-16-2014, 02:58 AM
And avoid the van accessible areas too! Mighty tempting @times. Proper marks should be as follows, fire lines(red with white/stenciled) handicap loading zones ( blue stripes) & general too small for car ( yellow or white stripes) most maintenance zones i see are (white) & full of access covers, usually a sign NO parking. Yall agree?

Oldmanzues
12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
there are problems with marking Hadicap parking spots. I believe it is federal rules, Light blue stripes and signs, but I have seen all kinds of "markings" since I was forced to get my plate. One was a wheel chair symbol with white stripes like a loading zone. Symbol could not be seen when a car was parked there. Cart return is a problem for people who are unable to walk more then a couple feet without assistnce.
A idea, if you see somebody parked in a Handicapped parking spor, Slow/stop and offer to take the cart in or put it away for them. They/I would appreciate it
Oldmanzues

If we have a lawyer/LEO on here willing to answer. I believe it it is illegal for person to question anthors persons right to use a handicap spot under ADA

ARtraveler
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
there are problems with marking Hadicap parking spots. I believe it is federal rules, Light blue stripes and signs, but I have seen all kinds of "markings" since I was forced to get my plate. One was a sheel chair symbol with white stripes like a loading zone. Symbol could not be seen when a car was aprked there. Cart return is a problem for people who are unable to walk more then a couple feet without assistnce.
A idea, if you see somebody parked in a Handicapped parking spor, Slow/stop and offer to take the cart in or put it away for them. They/I would appreciate it
Oldmanzues

If we have a lawyer/LEO on here willing to answer. I believe it it is illegal for person to question anthors persons right to use a handicap spot under ADAI don't know if there is a law covering it, but common sense should dictate this is not the way to go. We are talking about a parking space here. :thumbup:

If I get a close in parking space, lucky me. If I don't, there is always someone out there who needs it worse than I. I have moved on to another store when the distance was to far, a couple times, though.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-16-2014, 03:48 PM
point of interest, 70% of licensed drivers qualify for handicap parking...i do but i never applied for it.

cuznjohn
12-16-2014, 05:55 PM
i have a permit but only use it on bad days for my body and feet, but no matter how bad i feel i would never use it on a bike,

Bfromla
12-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Per my state the store management can ask for valid ID with permit,& if in question by Leo's the car in spot must have person with handicap ID present , not on loan. From what I've experienced fyi. If they look @ me funny i instruct them to look @ my plate,& tell my story, (TBI's often go unseen and I'm thankful to be above ground, her's a rather graphic pic of my recovery in 2012100022*I WAS WORSE OFF THAN THIS!* but this tends to get point across and make people think twice. Could be my redneck sarcasm ?

Gray Ghost
12-16-2014, 10:10 PM
...Cart return is a problem for people who are unable to walk more then a couple feet without assistnce....

Based upon my personal experience it is a problem for about 90% of people these days to return a cart. Was coming out of Home Depot the other day and watched a guy just shove one towards another row of parking. Glad we were there because the lot angled down sending the cart right at our car but we were able to stop it in time.

Oldmanzues
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Per my state the store management can ask for valid ID with permit,& if in question by Leo's the car in spot must have person with handicap ID present , not on loan. From what I've experienced fyi. If they look @ me funny i instruct them to look @ my plate,& tell my story, (TBI's often go unseen and I'm thankful to be above ground, her's a rather graphic pic of my recovery in 2012100022*I WAS WORSE OFF THAN THIS!* but this tends to get point across and make people think twice. Could be my redneck sarcasm ?

I did not put my statement very clear. I agree with this. I meant a person not in authority. I can guess, but do not know how yours occured, but I hope you continue to get better.
Vet Nam 67/68 Happy TET
Oldmanzues

bruiser
12-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Per ADA regulations, handicapped parking spaces must be marked with an ADA standard sign. Said sign shall be mounted at the front of the space with the lower edge of the sign no more than five feet above the ground. Spaces marked with signs or blue lines painted on the ground are no longer allowed. ADA also lays out the number of accessible spaces per total number of spaces in the lot.

Bfromla
12-18-2014, 01:34 AM
100072100073 and the multi color lines here?? :) looks like store got cheap & painted over, or just pitiful contract labor? Lol