PDA

View Full Version : Male Idiot Theory

JerryB
12-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Hi folks,

From today's newspaper:

New research has rigorously tested MaIe Idiot Theory, which posits that, well men are idiots and are driven to take ridiculous risks despite the clear prospects for self-harm, and for no defensible reason.

Newly published by the venerable British Medical Journal (in its annual tongue-in-cheek Christmas issue), the landmark study has shown that Male Idiot Theory holds up under scientific scrutiny. The inquiry plumbs an important but little-known database to assess gender differences in an individual's likelihood to engage in profoundly idiotic behavior: the Darwin Awards.

Winners of the Darwin Awards, which are handed out at random times, and almost always posthumously, must be found to have died (or to have sterilized themselves) in the conduct of activity that is so stupid, pointless and predictably self-destructive that they can truly be said to have done humanity a great service by removing themselves from the human gene pool.

Since 1995, 413 nominations have been forwarded to the Darwin Award committee, and 332 have been independently verified and confirmed by the awards panel.

Recipients of this award include the terrorist who posted a letter bomb with insufficient postage, and who unthinkingly opened his own letter when it was returned (apparently, because he was conscientious enough to include a return address).

After excluding urban legends, unverified accounts and honorable mentions, the study's four authors, all male, found that 318 awardees met their study's eligibility requirements. A lopsided 282 of those awardees ( 88.7 percent ) were male.

:shocked:

Jerry Baumchen

Chupaca
12-14-2014, 05:10 PM
We need a study for this...!! :roflblack::roflblack: they who did the study should be nominated for the wasteful study award...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
:clap: :yes: We're number ONE!! :firstplace: :yes::ohyea::yes:

ursamajor35126
12-14-2014, 06:04 PM
As we say here in the South.....

"Hold my beer and watch this!":yikes::yikes::ohyea::chill:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-14-2014, 10:30 PM
It is a real article, citing real research.

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7094

Spyder_Cowgirl
12-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Hi folks, .....

Winners of the Darwin Awards, which are handed out at random times, and almost always posthumously, must be found to have died (or to have sterilized themselves) in the conduct of activity that is so stupid, pointless and predictably self-destructive that they can truly be said to have done humanity a great service by removing themselves from the human gene pool.

:shocked:

Jerry Baumchen

Briefly:

Thief robs an elderly WWII veteran's home and steals, among other things, a vintage WWII pistol
Same thief then decides to use this pistol to rob a local store.
Store owner is moving too slow for the thief, so he pulls the trigger on the vintage WWII pistol .... CLICK (nothing happens).
Thief then turns the pistol towards his eyeball in an effort to look down the barrel ... about that time, the vintage WWII ammunition that the veteran kept in his vintage pistol decides to fire (what is called a hang fire).
One dead thief, by his own hand. nojoke

I have a whole book of them ... most are not as memorable as this one.

Best Regards .... Ann

Bob Denman
12-15-2014, 08:13 AM
I love it when the moron turns out to be a criminal also... :D
It saves all of us the cost of a trial... :clap:

PrairieSpyder
12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I love it when the moron turns out to be a criminal also... :D
It saves all of us the cost of a trial... :clap:

Criminal moron is redundant!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
i find this post sexist and offensive

Dan_Ashley
12-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Criminal moron is redundant!
U B rite.
Nearly all felons are proprietors of extremely low IQs.

Bob Denman
12-15-2014, 12:58 PM
:congrats: :2thumbs: :firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2014, 08:15 PM
As well as the stories on NPR, Washington Times, The Telegraph in London, NT News in Australia, National Post of Canada, the Science Daily, and many others, I presume? It may be offensive to you but it is a story circulating around the world, and the conclusion is based on research, so what should the world do about it? Ignore it just because people don't like it? I don't think so. JerryB did post it sans any personal commentary.

Yazz
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Try being a natural blond female.

The stories I could tell that happened to me that weren't handled right . Don't know if they were gender related, but I know they wouldn't treat a guy that way. nojoke

Happens so often it doesn't bother me anymore. Just stand my ground.

Did you know Hubby got stitches somewhere on the same date for three years in a row? Weird but true.

The Emergency Care kept track...

JerryB
12-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Hi Yazz,

Re: Try being a natural blond female.

My daughter is one and every now & then I send her a 'Dumb blonde' joke.

Then she usually sends me a 'Dumb engineer' joke. :yes:

Life is good,

Jerry Baumchen

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Hi Yazz,

Life is good,

Jerry Baumchen
And to continue on in this vein! :ohyea: Quite a few years ago a principal in a consulting engineering company said to me, "You know how general thinking is that women are difficult to manage in an office organization? Well, let me tell you, engineers are a lot more difficult to manage than are women!"

P.S. I'm a graduate engineer.

Yazz
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi Yazz,

Life is good,

Jerry Baumchen

Love a good joke! You have to be able to laugh at yourself. It lightens your load. :2thumbs:

And to continue on in this vein! :ohyea: Quite a few years ago a principal in a consulting engineering company said to me, "You know how general thinking is that women are difficult to manage in an office organization? Well, let me tell you, engineers are a lot more difficult to manage than are women!"

P.S. I'm a graduate engineer.

This is getting too funny. Now I know why Hubby is the way he is. He's an engineer too! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Joy,
Has he learned how to duck any better yet? :D

Yazz
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Joy,
Has he learned how to duck any better yet? :D

He's learned to leave me alone till I cool down. Then he shows up with flowers and a bottle of my favorite wine. :)
On the road, he can hear me over my pipes. :gaah:

Bob Denman
12-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Yes; a safe distance, is always a good idea... :D

JerryB
12-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi Yazz,

Re: Now I know why Hubby is the way he is. He's an engineer too!

And my daughter married and engineeer.

Her bestest friend from college is also married to an engineer ( must be something in the water ). Every now & then they get together and are convinced that all engineers came from the same mold.

I'm too biased to know,

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
12-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I thought that some folks became engineers...

...Because they thought that they'd be allowed to play with the Whistle! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EfFEW8GpU_Y

Yazz
12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi Yazz,

Re: Now I know why Hubby is the way he is. He's an engineer too!

And my daughter married and engineeer.

Her bestest friend from college is also married to an engineer ( must be something in the water ). Every now & then they get together and are convinced that all engineers came from the same mold.

I'm too biased to know,

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry, I think all engineers came from the same mold too.

IMHO, everyone's brain works a little different. That's what makes us unique. There's a type of mental processing that makes the person a perfect fit for being a engineer. Don't always understand Hubby's logic and conclusions, sometimes he doesn't understand mine.

Life would be boring if we were all the same...