PDA

View Full Version : F3 Demo and Frunk Size

SpyderGTL
12-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Had a blast today getting to see and ride the F3 for the first time. The Can Am demo truck came to north Texas this week and they were quite busy today! Lots of interest here! Absolutely love this machine. Can't wait to get one!

Had a pleasant surprise during the demo ride considering the demo units did not have any type of windscreen. Through ~60 mph, the wind blast on my upper body and helmet was very tolerable. At one point, I got it up to about 65 going into a 10-15 mph wind (net 75 - 80 mph wind on the body) and I could definitely feel the blast, though I never felt I was hanging on for dear life. It would just be uncomfortable for any kind of long distance. I plan to get a windscreen anyway, since I do a lot of riding above 60 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I shouldn't need a very large windscreen. I prefer to look over the windscreen, so if BRP doesn't come up with a replacement for the taller windscreen they just cancelled, then the mid-size may work fine for me.

I thought the stock seat was very comfortable for me. Of course, it's hard to tell much after only 20 minutes, but I don't feel that I need to be looking for a different seat right out of the gate. I loved the seating position and forward controls. It's a big change from my big German sport tourer - a change I'm looking forward to.

The only thing that was a little disappointing was the tiny frunk. :shocked: It did swallow my full face helmet (with the Sena removed), but that's about it. I don't recall seeing any pictures of the frunk with a FF helmet in it, so I took some to post here... The helmet is a Shoei Neotec, size M. Saddlebags, handlebar helmet locks and my travel tail bag are definitely going to be needed for riding this thing to Spyderfest and the next Owners Event. Since I use my bike as a daily driver, I'll also need to strap my laptop bag to the pillion seat, I suspect. It fits in the frunk of my wife's RT, but wasn't close to fitting in the F3's frunk. Until I see the saddlebags, I won't know if that bag will be able to be carried internally.

The other mildly disappointing thing was a piece of news. The Can Am reps were saying that these would begin shipping at the end of January or early February. I know my dealer has one ordered with an expected January delivery date, and it has my name penciled next to it - I was hoping it would be early January! Oh well, I had to wait a couple of months for my current bike, so I know it can go with the territory.

daveinva
12-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the pics, I've got a Shoei Qwest so I'm expecting a similar fit. You said you had your Sena removed... did you *have* to remove your Sena to fit the helmet?

I ask because that's a PITA if true. :(

MMMII
12-13-2014, 10:17 PM
I saw one today as well. My full face didn't have any problem fitting in the frunk with the Sena attached. Nothing else would fit with it that's for sure.

I did see two posts (one on each side) under the rear seat where you could hang your helmets (like you can on a sports bike by the buckle on the chin strap). Didn't try it but it looks like it would work.

SpyderGTL
12-13-2014, 10:37 PM
I didn't try putting the helmet in there with the Sena attached. A guy before me tried to put his helmet in the frunk with what might have been a Cardo Scala Rider. It didn't look like it fit. I'm used to popping the Sena unit off, since that's what I do to put my helmet in the top case on the K1600, so I popped it off without thinking about it. It comes off and on so easily, it's not a concern for me. And there's plenty of room left over in the frunk for it!

Glad to hear that they may have some type of helmet retention already onboard. I have the Kewlmetal handlebar end helmet locks on both the K1600 and my wife's Spyder. I really like them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupaca
12-14-2014, 01:11 AM
but because they put the radiators on the sides the frunk was reduced and hopefully things in there will not get well done. Glad you got a chance to ryde one and give us a review...thanks for the photos as well...:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
12-14-2014, 09:31 AM
The bike wasn't designed to be a perfect fit for ALL parts of the market...
If you need to put your helmet in a frunk; BRP has other bikes available for you. :thumbup:
My very in-expert guess: the target audience for this bike isn't the rider who will wear a Full-Face Helmet on a regular basis...

StanProff
12-14-2014, 09:56 AM
The bike wasn't designed to be a perfect fit for ALL parts of the market...
If you need to put your helmet in a frunk; BRP has other bikes available for you. :thumbup:
My very in-expert guess: the target audience for this bike isn't the rider who will wear a Full-Face Helmet on a regular basis...

I have not ever worried about being able to get a helmet in a compartment on the Spyder. I never had a place on my two wheelers to store a helmet anyway.
the Frunk and bags on the spyder are for storing STUFF. Meaning rain suits, tire repair kit, small air compressor,gloves, extra jackets, misc tools, micro fiber towels and spray polish (to keep the bugs off of the windshield) a anti-gravity micro-start hot shot unit just in case,, and I am sure if I go out to the garage there will be a dozen other things I will find. point being the helmet doesn't go there, it is for other stuff.

Bob Denman
12-14-2014, 10:53 AM
:thumbup: Carrying a helmet never bothered me much either... :D

den1953
12-14-2014, 11:29 AM
If you really need to have carrying capacity, saddlebags and a topcase would add a bunch. Those expensive BRP saddlebags looked kind of small. I was thinking something like GIVI or Hepco & Becker bags and case that mount on a rack. As for the F3 frunk it might hold our rainsuits plus a few other odds & ends.

SpyderGTL
12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
All in all, I consider the frunk bonus space on this cruiser style of motorcycle. Unfortunately, it's too easy to compare it to its predecessors which hold significantly more stuff. As a design engineer, I suspect the Can Am engineers had a design goal to fit the full face helmet in there. The way the bottom of the frunk is dished and how the helmet fits just one way makes it seem more than just a lucky coincidence.

On both of my bikes to date, I've had one saddlebag full of "just in case" stuff - rain gear, tire repair kit and mini compressor, first aid kit, bungees, tools, cool vest, etc. I'll probably fill a saddlebag with that stuff on the F3. I like being able to get my helmet out of the elements when needed, so it may find a home in the frunk occasionally. To that end, I'm really glad it fits!:yes: Plus, that leaves the frunk open for the quick trip to the store for some beverages. Hopefully, a six-pack of longnecks was also a design criteria for the frunk! :doorag:

den1953
12-14-2014, 04:20 PM
My wife and I each have a half or shorty style helmet. It's conceivable that they both would fit into the F3 frunk. We also each have a rain suit so those would probably need to go into the saddlebags. My dealer should be getting a Spyder F3 in his showroom soon so I can see it firsthand.

Bob Denman
12-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Please let us know if they fit! :thumbup:

StanProff
12-14-2014, 06:17 PM
"To that end, I'm really glad it fits!:yes: Plus, that leaves the frunk open for the quick trip to the store for some beverages. Hopefully, a six-pack of longnecks was also a design criteria for the frunk! :doorag:"

:cheers::thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-14-2014, 06:22 PM
The proper question should be, "How much ice can you lay in around those longnecks, and still be able to close the lid? :D

GunDoctor
12-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Good call, Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 legs nz
12-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Had a blast today getting to see and ride the F3 for the first time. The Can Am demo truck came to north Texas this week and they were quite busy today! Lots of interest here! Absolutely love this machine. Can't wait to get one!

Had a pleasant surprise during the demo ride considering the demo units did not have any type of windscreen. Through ~60 mph, the wind blast on my upper body and helmet was very tolerable. At one point, I got it up to about 65 going into a 10-15 mph wind (net 75 - 80 mph wind on the body) and I could definitely feel the blast, though I never felt I was hanging on for dear life. It would just be uncomfortable for any kind of long distance. I plan to get a windscreen anyway, since I do a lot of riding above 60 mph. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I shouldn't need a very large windscreen. I prefer to look over the windscreen, so if BRP doesn't come up with a replacement for the taller windscreen they just cancelled, then the mid-size may work fine for me.

I thought the stock seat was very comfortable for me. Of course, it's hard to tell much after only 20 minutes, but I don't feel that I need to be looking for a different seat right out of the gate. I loved the seating position and forward controls. It's a big change from my big German sport tourer - a change I'm looking forward to.

The only thing that was a little disappointing was the tiny frunk. :shocked: It did swallow my full face helmet (with the Sena removed), but that's about it. I don't recall seeing any pictures of the frunk with a FF helmet in it, so I took some to post here... The helmet is a Shoei Neotec, size M. Saddlebags, handlebar helmet locks and my travel tail bag are definitely going to be needed for riding this thing to Spyderfest and the next Owners Event. Since I use my bike as a daily driver, I'll also need to strap my laptop bag to the pillion seat, I suspect. It fits in the frunk of my wife's RT, but wasn't close to fitting in the F3's frunk. Until I see the saddlebags, I won't know if that bag will be able to be carried internally.

The other mildly disappointing thing was a piece of news. The Can Am reps were saying that these would begin shipping at the end of January or early February. I know my dealer has one ordered with an expected January delivery date, and it has my name penciled next to it - I was hoping it would be early January! Oh well, I had to wait a couple of months for my current bike, so I know it can go with the territory.

I wonder if my Neotec 3 XL would fit ??:dontknow:

Bob Denman
12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Good call, Bob
I'm just thinking of my friends; I'd hate to see them drinking warm "Barley-Pops"... :D

PW2013STL
12-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Looks like in order to get to the fuses and battery one will need to pull the four plastic pop rivets and lift out the liner as I do not see a access door for them. Should be easy to do, but you will need to bring along a tool to do that.

SpyderGTL
12-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Made it official today - put a deposit down on the first F3 coming to my dealer. Can't wait for next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck gross
12-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Congrats on the new F3 what model did you order?

Bob Denman
12-20-2014, 09:44 PM
:agree: :congrats: :2thumbs:

SpyderGTL
12-20-2014, 10:30 PM
I got lucky in that the first unit that the dealer ordered for his stock was exactly what I wanted - an F3S in Pure Magnesium Metallic. :yes: I had wanted to test ride one first before pulling the trigger, and as soon as I did, I knew the big German bike was going to be finding a new home.

On a related note, saw the new Red/Black RT Special Series last week and the new red RT Limited today. Those are great looking Spyders!

chuck gross
12-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Nice choice I have always liked that color. I looked at the K1600 before i bought my 2013 STL my wife had already bought a 2011 RT and I enjoyed riding her Spyder so much I had to get one. Good by big German machine I am sure you will miss it some but you will have way more miles and smiles on your new F3 excellent choice. :thumbup: