PDA

View Full Version : Helmets! What kind do you wear?

Greg H.
10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
My Wife and I wear the HJC Sy-Max II Modular. When I decided to buy a Spyder, I knew I was going to buy a full face helmet. I want the best protection. So; I did a bunch of research. And, one of the things I found was that I was having a very difficult time getting my glasses on with the full face helmets, I was looking at. It was getting very frustrating, too.

My wife found a couple that she really liked with nice color schemes, while I was banging my head against the wall just try to find a helmet that I could wear with my glasses.

After going to many shops, I found one selling the HJC Sy-Max IIs. Buying one online, to me, was no good option, either. I had read enough to know that to get a good fit, you really need to try them on in person, and forget sizing charts. All helmet makers are different. So, one size by one company does not guarantee that a size 'Medium' by them will fit like a 'Medium' by another maker. I think most of us here have read about those woes, and may even have friends that have experienced this.

We received good advice, and first rate service at the dealer selling the HJC brand. Although, the 'medium' size that fits me was in stock, the color that I wanted, was not (Silver). So; like my Spyder, my helmet needed to be ordered, as well. Actually. so did my Wife's.

The Sy-Max II isn't inexpensive. But, like they say; what is your head worth, right? :) I love the modular design. You can open it up, get a drink.. when you stop to get gas, open it, and you can hold a conversation easily, you can go into a quick shop, etc,,,.
Also; the Sy-Max II has the internal 'fighter pilot' drop down sun shield. My Wife loves that feature. For me, it was something that I thought was cool. But, since I wear transition lense glasses, I figured, I wouldn't be using it. I was wrong. It's fantastic! When riding into the west in the later afternoon hours, I lower it (3 positions), and it helps a lot.

Also; Helmet Harbor reviewed the Sy-Max II with very positive results.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8ce04b3127ccec526af07620200000040O08AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

tatt2r
10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
brp helmet love it

Bimjo
10-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Same concept, but I wear Nolans. Did wear a N102, next will be a N103 with the internal visor.

Greg H.
10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
brp helmet love it

A Scorpion, then! Nice helmet! :thumbup:

Same concept, but I wear Nolans. Did wear a N102, next will be a N103 with the internal visor.

Nice! :)

Big Arm
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Greg, Got to agree with you. We also have the two silver HJC Sy-Max helmets. (Did not get the Max II , which would have been a nice feature.) and we love them. Have no problem with our glasses, and would recommend this helmet to anyone. :thumbup:

Greg H.
10-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Greg, Got to agree with you. We also have the two silver HJC Sy-Max helmets. (Did not get the Max II , which would have been a nice feature.) and we love them. Have no problem with our glasses, and would recommend this helmet to anyone. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Latemarch
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Shoei RF1000, Love It!

sleepman
10-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a Shoei RF-1000. With that being said remember that with helmets price doesn't always mean it's the best. The Z1R helmets, Korean made I believe, can retail at about $80 for solid color full face and have shown better test results than some of the more expensive brands.

Bersquack
10-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I have a scorpion 700 series that I like a lot, but will most likely buy a Icon domain II helmet next spring.

ataDude
10-26-2008, 12:24 PM
All flip-fronts... I have Shoei, Nolan, HJC, and Vega. I wear the Nolan the most... because of color. The Vegas are good, too... just wrong color.

I will add that a Bell saved my noggin in 1987 and a Nolan in 2002. All good.

BeRight
10-26-2008, 12:48 PM
HJC fossil 249

SSPSpyder
10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
When trying helmets, one brand would be an XL and another a 3X - both fit the same!

Try before you buy.

I ended up with Bell.

Zerocool
10-26-2008, 01:12 PM
The Can-Am logo Scorpion 1000.

mrfilovirus
10-26-2008, 03:48 PM
My wife and I both have the Shoei RF-1000. Good helmets, great airflow.

Jeff in Dallas
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
I rotate between a Harley carbon fibre 3/4 (excellent), a Harley 1/2 or a Shoei Multi-Tec. I also have a RF-1000 (worn a couple of times, should sell it), a Sy-Max and a a Schuberth J1 and a Cromwell from Europe.

I have way too many helmets!

skorp55
10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I wear the Suomy Spec 1R. Very high quality and comfortable.

Lamonster
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
SyMax here. I'm on my second one and have yet to find one that fits me better. :doorag:

4leafpat
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Schuberth Concept, but I am looking around for a lighter one, like the flip fronts best, I like lots of ventilation too.

Later: I just ordered an Akuma Ghost Rider, after seeing the demo on webBikeWorld. Check out that website, they have tons of helmet reviews

Sopher
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I too wear glasses and the one that fit me best was the Shoei Multi-Tec. The shop where I took my MSF class offered a decent discount when buying an accessory. It actually has small grooves/indent in the foam that allows my glasses to slide on and off without being crammed against my face.

NancysToy
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
I too wear glasses and the one that fit me best was the Shoei Multi-Tec. The shop where I took my MSF class offered a decent discount when buying an accessory. It actually has small grooves/indent in the foam that allows my glasses to slide on and off without being crammed against my face.
My Scorpion EXO700 has the same thing.
-Scotty

Smylinacha
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Well I tried really hard last weekend to wear my HJC full face modular. I was MISERABLE. Maybe because I hardly wear the thing and wasn't used to it - I felt confined and it was freakin heavy on my head. I have been looking around for a lighter fullface but I think I'm just gonna stick to my 3/4 Z1R cheapo helmet - it's lightweight and does the job. In the summer I like to wear my shorty but I'm having probs keeping it on when riding the Spyder but I love that helmet the best - feels like I'm not wearing a helmet. I don't like having that feeling that something is on my head. I have compressed discs in my neck so maybe that is why I'm a little sensitive to having something on my head.

craigclive
10-27-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a Caberg. I lov ethe helmet but it is noisy and replacementa parts are unavailable so I am looking for a new lid.

GeminiJane
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a bunch but all full face. I guess I feel if I'm going to be unlucky enough to need a helmet for safety (also bug deflection) that I want my face intact, too, not just my brain.
I have a couple of Shoei, couple Arai, Scorpion 700, Fulmer, and a Z1R - different colors and patterns to mix and match with coats and gloves on different bikes. Luckily, after LASIK, I don't need glasses anymore, but do wear sunglasses in all my helmets so I don't have to pack spare shields for dark or cloudy days.
I bought two different liners for the Scorpion and put the XS in in summer and change to SM in winter so I can wear a bit thicker buff over my head and ears. The Z1R is light but a littler "rounder" so you get a bit more air up in side - good for summer, but need a chin curtain and a neck warmer in winter to keep air flow out. (Z1R is DOT but Snell approved but according to studies might be best for riders that don't weigh too much - Snell might actually be too stiff for safety on smaller riders.)
When I first started with full face helmets, my neck/shoulders would hurt but I think I just had to build up a bit of muscle strength to support the extra weight. Now an 8 to 9 hour day doesn't seem to bother me at all with any of my current helmets. Modulars are usually a bit heavier which is why I've not tried them.

zzneonzz
10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Scorpion Exo 400 for me.

jnt
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Been wearing flip-fronts since our first BMW and love 'em. Seems our heads are German-shaped :-) I used to have a favorite BMW System 4 till an SUV fixed it (BTW no damage to me in the process). Now wearing Schuberth C2 - quite comfy, but the speakers were a @#$%!! W still has her System 4.

Arachnid
10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1460/63306886965822635297redrt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
I have this coming, according to my info. It's supposed to pretty much match the red of my Spyder.
Mike:popcorn:

retread
10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Black Nolan N42 looking at N103 and Scorpion and Arai. The lining in my old Arai disintegrated. (25 years old)!

dltang
10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a full faced HJC Carbon Fiber Vader. I wanted a light helmet. That was my concern. My neck was getting sore from my old Gmax28 I didn't realize how heavy it was until I got my HJC. The Carbon Fiber makes a hugh difference in the weight on my neck. That is the one thing that keeps me from a flip helmet, they have to weigh a bit more for the mechanisms. Maybe when I find a Carbon Fiber Flip that I can afford, I will look into that, but for now, I am very happy. I like the full face coverage more for the bug protection than anything else. And with the current weather it helps keep me warm too.

jedd
10-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Shoei RF-1000 here it was 1 of 5 choices for me because of XXXL size it perfoms excellent, purchased from helmet harbor.com they were great.

Star Cruiser
10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
HJC CL-Max. I really like it. Before the Spyder I always wore a 3/4 Shoei. I had a Full face Bell in '71 and it was heavy and confined. They have come a long way since then. The Flip up chin is great on the CL-Max and it is nice and warm when the temp is below 40°F (4°C). Silver Black matches my Spyder to boot.

teacherbob
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I wear the NEW NOlan N-103. Quieter than the N102 and the dark visor is on the inside. I have these priced cheaper than anyone else.

Bob
Powersports4Less.com:2thumbs:

barkingspyder
10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I now wear a Nolan N103. It is noisy and the comm system is not very good(I used wired earbuds today with my GPS and and they out performed anything I've ever used). I like the thing though. The built in flip visor is really cool. I will keep ear plugs handy for when not using electronics.

baldev
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
My turban.:joke:...............multi colored interchangeable design low cost maintenance................P.S Not suitable for weak at heart, great for cold weather.