PDA

View Full Version : F3 windshield discontinued

GunDoctor
12-08-2014, 11:42 PM
I decided to add the Route 66 windshield to my build. Dealer called me back to let me know that the Route 66 is discontinued!! Really, it isn't even out yet. So had to go to the next smaller size, which will not be available until March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike,P
12-09-2014, 12:30 AM
I decided to add the Route 66 windshield to my build. Dealer called me back to let me know that the Route 66 is discontinued!! Really, it isn't even out yet. So had to go to the next smaller size, which will not be available until March.

What's the name of that one??? Thx

stevedfive
12-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Blue Ridge Windshield

Mike,P
12-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Blue Ridge Windshield

That's the one I ordered..

den1953
12-09-2014, 06:37 AM
That's what I'll have to do, just wait & see. I was thinking the Route 66 windshield as it looks I'm tall enough to see over the top, judging from that windshield video. The Blue Ridge is definitely lower cut and my only concern might be windblast/buffeting as well as eating a few bugs.

PrairieSpyder
12-09-2014, 08:36 AM
I'd check around with other dealers for the windshield. Maybe that part is delayed and the dealer just wants to complete the sale as soon as possible.

flamingobabe
12-09-2014, 08:49 AM
is the Route 66 the same shield that was on the ST...if so....maybe BRP discontinued it because of the dip in the shield that caused distortion while riding through twisties.......I look over the shield....but in the middle of twisty roads just the angle of the spyder and yourself there was distortion and you had to compensate....very distracting....purchased a Cal-Sci

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 08:49 AM
:agree: When it comes to any dealer... :shocked:
It's okay to trust what they're telling you; if you can independently verify it! nojoke

Dan McNally
12-09-2014, 09:17 AM
It's okay to trust what they're telling you; if you can independently verify it! nojoke

Actually, if it is really a good dealer, you can take what they tell you to the bank. Any dealer that blows smoke up your :cus: is, by definition, not a good dealer. nojoke

Highwayman2013
12-09-2014, 09:30 AM
With a little patience the aftermarket should come up with something. I liked riding the F3 but it needs a windshield for me to enjoy it.

SpyderAnn01
12-09-2014, 09:35 AM
is the Route 66 the same shield that was on the ST...if so....maybe BRP discontinued it because of the dip in the shield that caused distortion while riding through twisties.......I look over the shield....but in the middle of twisty roads just the angle of the spyder and yourself there was distortion and you had to compensate....very distracting....purchased a Cal-Sci

I think you are right. If I remember correctly the windshield on the touring F3 demo bike at the motorcycle show had the dip in it.

SpyderRx
12-09-2014, 10:16 AM
That's the windshield I would get too. Hard to believe it is discontinued already.

GunDoctor
12-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Well, dealer gave me a nice discount, so I won't miss the one or two inch difference. The only delay is it won't be available until March. F3 is still on schedule for Jan.

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Actually, if it is really a good dealer, you can take what they tell you to the bank. Any dealer that blows smoke up your :cus: is, by definition, not a good dealer. nojoke

:agree: But you've got to determine what kind of dealer they are, first... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Interesting that something would be discontinued before it is even on the market.

Trust but verify is also my advice. Give our friend Pitbull a call, see what they have to say.

This could be like the elusive electronic frunk switch. Yes, no, yes, no, etc.

BRPcare final word on that--no switch--they are working on getting it out of the vehicle information system.

Slagiatt
12-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Since I've already paid for the Route 66, I called my dealer (probably the most reputable dealer in Indiana) and their Parts manager is going straight to the source...I'll post his reply when I hear back.

Looking at the BRP windshield video, it looks like the Blue Ridge has the same width as the Route 66 but is just that 2-3" shorter. I could live with that...

PrairieSpyder
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
If it's really discontinued, it must be they decided just not to offer it after all. After publishing all those catalogs, brochures and web-pages. What a marketing screw-up!

Which makes me think the dealer isn't being straight or is, at best, mistaken.

OJ UK
12-09-2014, 08:43 PM
The Route 66 windshield was made originally for the ST and I fancy that is
the one that has been stopped. As the F3 is totally different it would not be
interchangeable. The best way to find out is to download the F3 parts list and
make a check using the part number.

BikerDoc
12-10-2014, 10:13 AM

I have a copy of the BRP memo from their parts dept to the dealers which announced the change plus confirmation from BRP District Rep

BikerDoc
12-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Since I've already paid for the Route 66, I called my dealer (probably the most reputable dealer in Indiana) and their Parts manager is going straight to the source...I'll post his reply when I hear back.

Looking at the BRP windshield video, it looks like the Blue Ridge has the same width as the Route 66 but is just that 2-3" shorter. I could live with that... According to the official spec provided in the BRP memo the Blue Ridge is a full 5 inches shorter than the route 66

flamingobabe
12-10-2014, 11:06 AM
just saying...be happy that the Route 66 shield has been discontinued.....several complaints to NHTSA.....

den1953
12-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I am sure the aftermarket windshield manufacturers will have something taller than the Blue Ridge model and quite possibly cheaper too.

Outporter
12-10-2014, 11:31 AM
According to the official spec provided in the BRP memo the Blue Ridge is a full 5 inches shorter than the route 66

I can't remember where but I've seen the following information on-line:
Route 129 = 20"
Blueridge =23"
Route 66 = 25"

Slagiatt
12-10-2014, 01:56 PM
If you watch BRP's windshield video, at the end where he shows a shot from the front of the bike for all 4 options, it looks like the Route 66 is only a couple of inches higher than the Blueridge.

den1953
12-10-2014, 03:51 PM
The waiting game is what we're all playing. The F3 hasn't yet shown-up in any dealer showroom so it's just a guessing game until we can experience one first-hand. As for this windshield dilemma, it will sort itself out once we have the bikes (trikes) available. I personally like to see over the top of my windshield but still have it tall enough to deflect bugs and turbulence up and over my head. That's just me, but for that to happen the windshield has to be within an inch or two being up to about the bottom of my nose height-wise. Any higher and I have to look through it, any lower and I get the bugs with air turbulence.

BikerDoc
12-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I can't remember where but I've seen the following information on-line:
Route 129 = 20"
Blueridge =23"
Route 66 = 25" I stand corrected.. I was looking at the Canadian memo which was in centimeters so only 2 inch difference.
Still I wasn't all that happy with 25......

den1953
12-10-2014, 08:39 PM
In that video the Blue Ridge windshield didn't even come up to the model/actor guy's chin. I don't know how tall he is but I'm a six footer and that doesn't look tall enough to do any good for me. Regardless I'll still have to actually sit on an F3 to see where the tops of different windshields are in relation to my face.

BikerDoc
12-10-2014, 08:43 PM
In that video the Blue Ridge windshield didn't even come up to the model/actor guy's chin. I don't know how tall he is but I'm a six footer and that doesn't look tall enough to do any good for me. Regardless I'll still have to actually sit on an F3 to see where the tops of different windshields are in relation to my face.:agree:

Slagiatt
12-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Parts managers says all of the Route 66 windshields he ordered (including for stock) were cancelled saying "discontinued." I just ordered the Blue Ridge...he has no information saying these will be delayed (as mentioned in an earlier post.)

And the saga continues...:popcorn:

F4 Customs
12-11-2014, 12:04 PM
This is Don at F4 Customs and we are working on developing a windshield at this time but need some input from you riders.
What would you see as the best height?
What width?
Tinted and Clear is a given.
Would you want a vent?
We are looking for someone to work with us on development so if you are interested call Don Frank at F4 Customs at 330-968-4644

den1953
12-12-2014, 06:33 AM
I have to say "you guys rock" at F4 Customs. Even though none of us (other than Lamont) have an F3 Spyder yet you have replied and responded. I like your pro-active business model and have noticed on this forum how well regarded F4 Customs is. I can imagine our taller riders and those who travel longer distances and with passengers would like taller windshields. Guys like me who do shorter rides with a few distance rides thrown in probably will want a medium height we can look over. Vents or cut-outs that equalize the negative air pressure behind the windshield and reduce turbulence might be desirable, just depends. Hats-off to you at F4 Customs and I will put you at the top of my list for a quality aftermarket windshield whenever I can get a new Can Am Spyder F3.

Grandpaspeed
12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
:agree: And I would also like to see you make one that I can look over.