PDA

View Full Version : sensitive steering....

chuckk
12-08-2014, 04:11 PM
i do not own a spyder, but am thinking about an f-3 .. i have ridden a 2010 rt and a 2014 rs ... i have ridden the rs in the mountains (this is where i like to ride).. i couldn't believe how sensitive the steering is.. in one review, the test rider stated, the f-3 isn't as "nervous" as the other models.. this is the only mention i have run across, regarding the bikes sensitivity.. after riding the rs for 10 miles or so, i felt a little more in control.. it did seem as though, in a tight turn, the outside wheel wanted to bite, and over steer... i plan on taking more short rides on the rs.. to get more used to the handling.. i am a two wheel guy so far, but would like to try something new... does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

ARtraveler
12-08-2014, 04:15 PM
A common issue for those who are not yet familiar with the :spyder2: and its steering characteristics.

Over control (too much input) will cause the :ani29: to act like it has a mind of its own. The new 2014 RT with the 1330 ACE engine, is even more sensitive than the previous versions. The F3 will have the same characteristics.

It takes about 500 - 1000 miles of driving for most people who are coming off of two wheelers. The driving technique is different.

New people to the sport take about 250 to 500 miles to acclimate.

I used to suggest to try as little input as possible and to drive the :spyder2: as though there were eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break the eggs.

Keep this in mind on your test drive and you should have no issues.

Orange Spyder Man
12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
I recently came off a GoldWing & have been riding motorcycles just about all my life .. I find my Spyder 2014 RT for lack of a better term "dances" in curves... I plan to install the BajaRon swaybar.... and I will have my RT laser aligned soon.... I only have 750 miles on my Spyder thus far.. hope the 2 fore mentioned adjustments help...

OSM

chuckk
12-08-2014, 04:57 PM
my friend has just gotten the rs i have been testing.. we ride hwy 33 a lot out of ventura, up into the mountains.. i will have more chances to try out his spyder soon ... i feel i could get used to the sensitivity, if i must... but in the tighter turns, between hanging on and steering, it is a handful! ... i would hope the f-3 with the forward pegs, would do what everyone is talking about.. that is, allowing your legs to do the holding on. then one's arms can deal more with the critical steering... i would think, the longer bars on the f-3 would give the rider more leverage and therefore, more control over the sensitivity issue..

ARtraveler
12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
my friend has just gotten the rs i have been testing.. we ride hwy 33 a lot out of ventura, up into the mountains.. i will have more chances to try out his spyder soon ... i feel i could get used to the sensitivity, if i must... but in the tighter turns, between hanging on and steering, it is a handful! ... i would hope the f-3 with the forward pegs, would do what everyone is talking about.. that is, allowing your legs to do the holding on. then one's arms can deal more with the critical steering... i would think, the longer bars on the f-3 would give the rider more leverage and therefore, more control over the sensitivity issue..

Higher speed riding on curves. If you have to brake at the beginning your going to fast to start with. You should be able to accelerate during the curve. Plant the outside foot on the peg. Grip the seat with your knees. Lean a bit into the curve. Enter the curve from the wide end and head to the other side without getting out of your lane. The leaning and planting reduce the g forces. I can take most curves 15 to 20+ the speed that is posted if I so desire. Keeping the :spyder2: within the proper boundaries. I have never raised a wheel or lit up the nanny.

MisterP
12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I only have a few hundred miles on the Fat White Chick so far, but here are my observations:

- The comments are most appropriate to not chase the bike. Let it wander a bit in a lane, it will quickly wear you out if you start trying to correct all movements. We learned this lesson well from driving my DW's Smart - that sucker skittered around like a scared mouse. I guess that has made my adapt more quickly to the Spyder.

- Try leaning into curves more. I lean and use some pressure on the knee to the inside of the turn to stabilize myself. This keeps my arms free for steering rather than hanging on. I am certainly not doing any high speed turns at this point, but leaning a bit works, and it seems intuitive from riding 2-wheelers.

- I also find a combination of push/pull on the two ends of the handlebars gives me more stability in turns. It also prevents pulling on the throttle more when making right turns - I push more with the left than pull with the right hand. Works for me, your mileage may vary.

chuckk
12-08-2014, 05:39 PM
thanks for all of the suggestions.. i have older, naked, goldwings... i do like to lay them over in the twisties, as much as they allow.... so riding an f-3 and zipping around curves would be just what the doctor ordered! .. now i may be dreaming here, but hope springs eternal..... chuckk ....

Bob Denman
12-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Question: Do you have any ATVing or snowmobiling experience? :dontknow:
The Spyder feels a lot more like them, than anything else! :D
As "AK" said; it takes some time to find the sweet spot...

den1953
12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
I have only three demo rides on Can Am Spyders so far, so my experience is nowhere near what actual owners have with these machines. While I can attest to the steering being sensitive, I've never felt any difficulty keeping a Spyder in line and under control. In fact I'd say the last two, a 2013 RT-S and a 2014 RT-S were better than the original 2008 GS in that regard. I've had trike experience before (demos on 3 different Goldwing trikes as well as built a trike 35 years ago) so maybe that made it easier for me.

chuckk
12-08-2014, 07:19 PM
i have had no snowmobile experience.. nothing but two wheels.. i tried one old goldwing trike... wholly molly! .. not for me..
with the two wheels in front, my mind can adjust to not leaning.. with that trike, and that "mysterious force" behind, not letting me lean....... let's say it was just too much for my little brain! .... my hope is still with the magical f-3 .. gotta ride one................. chuckk ....

Chupaca
12-08-2014, 08:40 PM
your on the right road. But as said..you need mileage under your belt. As you get more accustomed you will widen your smile and love the ride even more. I have an RS and will till one of us is no more. I can make it do anything I did with my two wheeler but split lanes...keep ryding and be safe..!! :ohyea::ohyea:

bmccaffrey
12-08-2014, 09:04 PM
You'll get used to it ,takes a little time. Do not grip tight and try muscling it. Treat it like a women sesitive grip.Lean into corners use feet and knees if riding agressive.
Like a women u grip to tight they'll bite back:roflblack:

ENJOY AND RELAX!!!!!

ThreeWheels
12-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I have to say again..................
I know, I'm sounding like a broken record.
If the Spyder feel like it's dancing on the road, almost like it has a mind of it's own then I recommend you
GET A LASER ALIGNMENT.

A properly aligned Spyder should feel like it's on rails.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

spyderyderjim
12-08-2014, 10:11 PM

Hi,
I had three 40 minute+ 2015 F3-S SE6 Demo rydes in Arizona past week. My Demo ryde Red F3 is the one you see in all the videos/photos!!
The F3 is not steering sensitive, with the forward foot pegs it is much more like a motorcycle.
It has an awesome torque/power 1330 in line triple engine that will spin rear tire at 6,500 rpm shifts 1st through 4th gear!!
The F3 sits lower than RT, closer to a RS size, #3 foot peg position (comes standard), depending on your height felt good for me (6').
It takes 35 mph posted corners at 60 mph!!
I use the Pace motorcycle method of cornering Spyder, coming wide into a corner cutting to inside center line and exiting wide, on the gas.
I think you will enjoy riding a 2015 F3-S SE6 as much as your motorcycle.
Definitely need a F4 Customs windshield; and a Backrest on F3!!
Add a set of Givi hard bags (when mounts are available) for F3 would replace your motorcycle.
You can read my blog of F3 demo rydes. 2015 F3-S SE6 Demo rides seat of pants observations Tucson, Az (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?75519-2015-F3-S-SE6-Demo-rides-seat-of-pants-observations-Tucson-Az)

I rode Hwy 33 many times (& many other So Cal roads) on my 2003 Kawi Concours and Suzuki Bandit 1200 while living for years in Santa Clarita!
Enjoy.
Jim

chuckk
12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
jim, i have read your blogs and agree.... the driver backrest and windshield is for me..... i like to just be able to see over the
top of the windshield... i'm not sure of what size i will order... one almost has to sit on a bike, then have someone else hold up the different windshields.. or maybe try to figure windscreen length plus the angle ?? i have seen the video on windshields... it helps some... actually, i will check out the first bikes delivered to my dealer...... i only want to buy one... those things aren't cheap, if you make the wrong choice... by the way, i'm 6 ft. tall also.... so the stock peg location should be good for me too................. when you mentioned the slight similarity of the f-3 with a two wheeled bike, it gave me hope........... what i ride.... a naked 1984 goldwing 1200 ... a naked 1976 goldwing (i installed an 1100 motor in it).... another naked 1981 goldwing 1100 .... i had two cbr 1100 blackbirds, i was riding for a year or two... some of the other bikes i had were....... fjr 1300 ...vfr 750's ... honda st 1300 .. 1500 vulcans ... 1800 goldwing.. 1500 goldwing... honda vtx 1800 .... i'm 71 now, and my butt needs cushy.... i always liked backrests... got one one my 1984 1200 ... this is my first day here on spyderlovers... kinda fun, sharing .... i will have to put a few of my bikes in an album i guess... i don't know how it all works, but i'll try................................. chuckk ....

cheska
12-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I have only test driven spyders so do not have a lot of experience. But both the wife and I test
drove the F3 this last week. We did not feel the steering was as sensitive on the F3 as on other
spyders. Note we have not driven a 2014. Please test drive a F3 before making any decisions.

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 08:42 AM
when you mentioned the slight similarity of the f-3 with a two wheeled bike, it gave me hope........... what i ride.... a naked 1984 goldwing 1200 ... a naked 1976 goldwing (i installed an 1100 motor in it).... another naked 1981 goldwing 1100 .... i had two cbr 1100 blackbirds, i was riding for a year or two... some of the other bikes i had were....... fjr 1300 ...vfr 750's ... honda st 1300 .. 1500 vulcans ... 1800 goldwing.. 1500 goldwing... honda vtx 1800 .... i'm 71 now, and my butt needs cushy.... i always liked backrests... got one one my 1984 1200 ... this is my first day here on spyderlovers... kinda fun, sharing .... i will have to put a few of my bikes in an album i guess... i don't know how it all works, but i'll try................................. chuckk ....

:clap: Bravo!! :2thumbs:
That is some nice riding you've been piling up!
:agree::nopic: or seven?