PDA

View Full Version : in a perfect world

cuznjohn
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
in a perfect world we would have everything we want. we could have our loved ones with us forever and not just fond memories. we could have health, wealth and happiness. we could get and have everything we want and the money to buy it with out having to build wish lists. there would be peach on earth and everyone would be friends. and some woman would learn to drive!!!

now all that being said, the main thing i am trying to get to is me wanting a slingshot. being retired and living alone on a fixed income, not starving but limited to what i can buy. i am a full figured man ( FAT ) and really like something i can't fit in or get in or out. so here is what i was thinking, if a person my size had the funds for another toy, my thoughts are doable but not at this time. first... a removable racing type steering wheel so you can have a open space for a big belly. second... bring the bike / car to a custom prefab shop to have a electric scissor lift made for under the drivers seat so that you can lift yourself up enough to have a easy access in and out of the slingshot.

i did takes my medication today so don't ask if i did, i just have a lot of time to think ( and i get in trouble when i do ) and i have never owned a sports car being a large person and would love to experience the feeling of having something sporty for once in my life. ok that's my thoughts for today, thanks for reading them and you can think i am nuts, but i call it dreaming.

Bob Denman
12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi John!
Don't worry; I fully understand how having too much time on your hands, can cause these dilemmas! :D
You will need to search out the companies that make these quick-detachable steering hubs first, and find out if they make one for this "car"... If they don't list it; you could then try to find out what sort of hardware bolts the wheel on the 'Shot... there might be a universal kit available.

The seat... :gaah:
It's designed to move fore and aft quite a bit; the lift mechanism would need to fit underneath all of that, (Which means that it has to be VERY compact), in order to be workable.

You've got a fine project in front of you. Good Luck, and let us know what you find out! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
You have heard this, but it is worth repeating. Where there is a will, there is a way.

If owing a SS is that important, I would be checking out the mods that you need to make it operable for your needs. Think about all the mods that have been done to :spyder2:'s to make them accessible for those who need special mods.

It will not be easy because SS in on the cutting edge. You will have to search high and low, but I am guessing you will be able to come up with what will work.

It's a whole lot better than saying "wow, I could have had a V-8."

Go for it. :yes:

cuznjohn
12-08-2014, 03:03 PM
the first thing would be a place to put it, that would mean building a garage so that is where the funding or lack there of would be, and bob i know it would have to go under the back and forth movement but i think it would still be doable.

mowin
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Im thinking you could add some grab handles easer than a scissors lift under the seat.

cuznjohn
12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Im thinking you could add some grab handles easer than a scissors lift under the seat.

i thought the same thing, a full role bar would do it, but remember this is just thinking and a dream

vided
12-08-2014, 05:38 PM
i thought the same thing, a full role bar would do it, but remember this is just thinking and a dream

:agree:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OROFfLYQ0b0.

wyliec
12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
cuznjohn,

Check out this swivel seat:

http://www.timstrim.com/mobility/transfer-seats/

cuznjohn
12-08-2014, 06:08 PM
the seat sits below the side frame rails so something like that wouldn't work

Chupaca
12-08-2014, 08:58 PM
How often would you be getting out (getting in seems to be easy)..?? You could have a winch set up at home and winch yourself free there...:roflblack::roflblack: but I heard they had a fully adjustable steering wheel just to help with this situation...:thumbup:

bmccaffrey
12-08-2014, 09:51 PM
John anything is possible if you want to pay for it.

I did a job for a guy on a 46 jeep. This is what he took his wife on their first date, 50 yrs ago

I moved the seat back 2 feet electric 12 volt air pump to rais and a swivel seat to get him out.Opened the door openings as to have the room to accomodate.Lots of fun and interesting. He is a friend money was not a big factor. Done some stuff for handicap and have enjoyed it. NOT FOR HIRE

Point being anything can be done.

GO for it:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 08:04 AM
John,
A stray idea landed here overnight. :D
The Missus has a 2012 MINI hardtop, and the seats have a manual height adjustment on them.
It might be possible to just buy the bracketry that holds the seats in the car, and adapt it to the 'Shot? :dontknow:
It'd give you about a three inch vertical adjustment...

PrairieSpyder
12-09-2014, 08:53 AM
As already said here, where there's a will there's a way. And i think the roll bar would be the most elegant solution, though it's fun to over-engineer the seat in our heads.

When I'm in that mode of wanting something that's new, but having constraints (technical, financial, etc.), and I think I may need to get back down to earth, I try to think of what really attracted me to the prospect in the first place. The convertible experience can be had with lots of other vehicles.

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 08:56 AM
The idea of a rollbar doesn't excite me... :shocked:
My reason? If you put that over top of you; it might impair ingress and egress...

cuznjohn
12-09-2014, 09:39 AM
it is fun tossing ideas around, but please remember this is just a dream that will not come true.

coz
12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
just wait for the used market to develop. there will be bargains, just like any other mc/toy. getting in and out is the easy part.:thumbup:

cuznjohn
12-09-2014, 10:37 AM
just wait for the used market to develop. there will be bargains, just like any other mc/toy. getting in and out is the easy part.:thumbup:

coz you looking forward to the last show of SOA tonight

Joe T.
12-09-2014, 01:06 PM

I would think a NEW style windshield, with a grab rail as part of the windshield, could solve your problem - along with the removable steering wheel. Doesn't the SS come with a removable steering wheel as standard?

Regards,
Joe T.

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 01:12 PM
There's no windshield support pillars or struts... :shocked:

cuznjohn
12-09-2014, 01:42 PM

bob is right, there are two types of windshields, one full one and a double side by side and they are all fastened from just under the rear of the hood where the firewall is, GEE did i just say bob was right

Bob Denman
12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
:shocked: I think that you were lying... :D
John,
Are you coming to the Big Show on Saturday??

coz
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
coz you looking forward to the last show of SOA tonight i hate to see it end. this last season has been really good.

Joe T.
12-09-2014, 10:29 PM

Perhaps not on the stock SS. Good after-market product -- for those of us who are avoirdupois challenged!!!

Joe T.

spacetiger
12-09-2014, 11:30 PM
in a perfect world we would have everything we want. we could have our loved ones with us forever and not just fond memories. we could have health, wealth and happiness. we could get and have everything we want and the money to buy it with out having to build wish lists. there would be peach on earth and everyone would be friends. and some woman would learn to drive!!!

now all that being said, the main thing i am trying to get to is me wanting a slingshot. being retired and living alone on a fixed income, not starving but limited to what i can buy. i am a full figured man ( FAT ) and really like something i can't fit in or get in or out. so here is what i was thinking, if a person my size had the funds for another toy, my thoughts are doable but not at this time. first... a removable racing type steering wheel so you can have a open space for a big belly. second... bring the bike / car to a custom prefab shop to have a electric scissor lift made for under the drivers seat so that you can lift yourself up enough to have a easy access in and out of the slingshot.

i did takes my medication today so don't ask if i did, i just have a lot of time to think ( and i get in trouble when i do ) and i have never owned a sports car being a large person and would love to experience the feeling of having something sporty for once in my life. ok that's my thoughts for today, thanks for reading them and you can think i am nuts, but i call it dreaming.

Are you saying you look like your avatar?

cuznjohn
12-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Are you saying you look like your avatar?

exactly like it

Bob Denman
12-10-2014, 08:15 AM
:shocked: He's not joking... :shocked: