PDA

View Full Version : Front Tires scalping

Jim141
12-07-2014, 08:11 AM
I have a 2014 Spyder RT. I have about 6100 miles on it. I have noticed the inside of the front tires are scalping. It is like it is out of alignment. You can let go of the handle bars and it does not pull in ether direction. It handles good I was just worried about the tire ware. :sour:

PW2013STL
12-07-2014, 09:22 AM
I have a 2014 Spyder RT. I have about 6100 miles on it. I have noticed the inside of the front tires are scalping. It is like it is out of alignment. You can let go of the handle bars and it does not pull in ether direction. It handles good I was just worried about the tire ware. :sour:

:welcome:

My front tires started cupping around the same mileage and once this happens there is no way to fix those tires. As for ware I now have 16,000 on them and they will last a lot longer.
I was planning on replacing them with car tires, but I have decided to ware them out before I do that.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-07-2014, 10:24 AM
..................................:gaah: Not sure what you mean by " SCALPING " but it sounds like an " alignment " problem. I would find someone in your area ( they have a list here on Spyderlovers ) that has / does the ROLO / OUTLAW ....LAZER alignment ........don't bother with any other type they arn't anywhere near accurate enough. After all you just bought a Bike that was properly aligned BRP so you know how good that was ( NOT :roflblack: ).......PS very few Dealers have this system...... Mike :thumbup:

pickelhead
12-07-2014, 11:37 AM
When I drove a truck, our company bought about 100 steer tires, they started cupping. They turned out to be defective. Goodyear had to recall the whole batch.

DrewNJ
12-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Good luck!.....here comes the Kool aid!

coz
12-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I'm thirsty...........:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black:

BikerDoc
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Never heard that term before but there have been numerous postings here about front tires on the 2014 RT wearing out at between 6000 and 8000 miles (usually called cupping) (it was not an alignment issue - one of the people who experienced it owns a laser alignment company).... BRP has replaced some under warranty and others "not".. A number of these front end Kenda tires are flat out defective and its a waste of money to attempt to fix them... follow the role model above and wear them out, then replace them with more reliable tire. My Federal Evos now have 17000 plus miles on them after the replacement with no sign of wear...

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Never heard that term before but there have been numerous postings here about front tires on the 2014 RT wearing out at between 6000 and 8000 miles (usually called cupping) (it was not an alignment issue - one of the people who experienced it owns a laser alignment company).... BRP has replaced some under warranty and others "not".. A number of these front end Kenda tires are flat out defective and its a waste of money to attempt to fix them... follow the role model above and wear them out, then replace them with more reliable tire. My Federal Evos now have 17000 plus miles on them after the replacement with no sign of wear...
:lecturef_smilie:.........But the problem with your theory as I see it is,..... if it is an alignment problem ( and most Spyders as DELIVERED are not aligned correctly ), by the time it shows up on the new tires as a bad wear pattern they will be un-saveable , so He will have to start all over again......If He can get new tires under warranty from His dealer GREAT....But I would still advise a LAZER alignment ..............JMHO.....Mike :thumbup:

Orange Spyder Man
12-07-2014, 04:20 PM
I think BRP made a bad choice using Kenda tires ... have read many are defective... BUT good luck getting BRP to warranty them even they know these tires are sub-standard quality..

OSM

ARtraveler
12-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I replaced the rear tire on my 2014 RT at 9500 miles. The front tires are still looking good.

bamaspyder1
12-07-2014, 05:27 PM
KENDA TIRES SUCK.....Mine cupped BRP said no warranty :mad: Using Federal now... :yes:

jansboy
12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
If the tires are wearing faster on the inside edges the toe in is actually toe out. If the tires are wearing on the outside edges there is too much toe in. Have a quality alignment for maximum tire wear.

PW2013STL
12-07-2014, 07:54 PM
KENDA TIRES SUCK.....Mine cupped BRP said no warranty :mad: Using Federal now... :yes:

:agree: As mine cupped after the Laser alignment and I had it checked again after the cupping appeared so I know it was not the alignment that caused the cupping.
I also will switch to Federals after I burn through these.

Jim141
12-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the input. Sorry about the terminology. So rotating the tires would not be a good idea. Until they affect the handling I will keep them till worn out and I will have to determine what tires I will go to.

2dogs
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the input. Sorry about the terminology. So rotating the tires would not be a good idea. Until they affect the handling I will keep them till worn out and I will have to determine what tires I will go to.

rotating the tires. I think BRP suggest that at around 15k or 20k. Check it out with your dealer.

DrewNJ
12-07-2014, 10:18 PM

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-08-2014, 01:25 AM
rotating the tires. I think BRP suggest that at around 15k or 20k. Check it out with your dealer.
:lecturef_smilie:........I truly don't understand the logic behind rotating front tires.....Why do you rotate them .....A.) because of un-even wear....Rotating them is a Bandaid ...Fix the problem by getting a Lazer alignment .......B.) to get some more miles out of them , therefore saving MONEY..........this is ridiculous ----it will cost it least $ 30 to $ 50 to mount and balance those two tires........I just bought TWO new Toyo " V " rated tire s for $ 114.00 delivered , you might spend $ 40 to get what another 2000 to 3000 miles from those tires ..............................Just think about this ..........................Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
12-08-2014, 03:37 AM
Don't waste money on rotating your Spyder tires.

ulflyer
12-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Mine has done the same as yours. Just had them aligned, for the second time, but now wish I'd have let them wear and spent the $125 on new front tires instead.