PDA

View Full Version : Check DPS

craigclive
10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
About three weeks ago I was going up my driveway when the engine light came on. The message read “Check DPS”. I turned around and drove down the driveway to put the Spyder in the garage. I shut it down to open the garage door. When I started up again the light was off so I drove the Spyder to work.

I had no further issues until Thursday morning on my way to work. I felt a hesitation and the engine light went on. The message read “Check DPS”.

After work I started the Spyder and the light was off. I rode home. I rode about 3 miles to a meeting. When I came out to start the Spyder, the dash went blank once I turned the key. I left the Spyder there and returned the next morning.

I placed a battery charger on the battery and the Spyder started right up. However, the RPMs began climbing and settled at 6,000. They began to climb to 7,000, 7,500, and 8,000. I drove the Spyder home at approximately 5,000 RPMs.

I disconnected the battery to add a line for my battery tender. I then charged the battery and left the Spyder overnight.

I started it this morning and the RPMS were in the correct range. I did notice that the Spyder seemed louder and there was a smell of unburnt gas.

I took it to the dealer and they indicated that they had to replace an exhaust gasket.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks

Craig

NancysToy
10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
A bad exhaust gasket sure won't cause a DPS failure, or a blank dash. This sounds more like wiring, ECU, or dash module failure, or a combination thereof.
-Scotty

cisaacs
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I had the check dps light problem when I had a Spyder. I took it 100 miles to the shop and of course they said it would take a weeko get to it. When they finally checked it they had to order parts which took another 2 weeks to find out there was still a problem. Another 2 week wait on parts later it was fixed. They never said what the actual problem was but it did end up with a complete new power steering system.

smokster
10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I had the check dps light problem when I had a Spyder. I took it 100 miles to the shop and of course they said it would take a weeko get to it. When they finally checked it they had to order parts which took another 2 weeks to find out there was still a problem. Another 2 week wait on parts later it was fixed. They never said what the actual problem was but it did end up with a complete new power steering system.
Can you find out what the resolution was?
I and others have the same problem, noone can tell us what is the solution.
Thanks