PDA

View Full Version : Shootout

danotech
12-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Just saw this this morning
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/polaris-slingshot-can-am-spyder-f3-morgan-3-wheeler?utm_source=mo12042014&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:

retired1
12-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting. In my opinion they should have included the Taurus in the discussion also.

stormtrooper
12-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing :2thumbs: Very cool :thumbup:

Chupaca
12-05-2014, 10:27 AM
thanks for posting the link...have to agree with them can't compare and grade but they will be grouped by dmv class...:thumbup:

den1953
12-05-2014, 10:30 AM
People on this forum have already noted that the "nanny" on the new Spyder F3 is noticeably less intrusive. However these professional test riders, who's job it is to push the limits still find it to be too intrusive. For the 95 to 99 percent of us it'll be just fine I'm sure. As for the other two vehicles in their test, they still do not fit what most us us consider to be motorcycles regardless of how the BMVs of all but Texas feel about it. 80 grand for the Morgan is just out of reach for 99.9 percent of us and the cheaper Slingshot while a best buy comes across as being too "plasticky", which means cheap looking in plain english. I'll still take the Spyder over the other two, nanny and all.

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Please remember; the price of the Morgan was driven upward (:shocked:!), by a host of optional equipment...
They were right about a couple of things:
The Morgan's "Coolness Factor", is off the charts
The F-3's power to weight ratio is better than the other two "bikes".
The view of the Slingshot from the rear... :yikes:

Art Mann
12-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I consider these three machines to be wildly different from each other. About the only things they have in common are the lack of a roof and three wheels, two of which are in the front. I can't imagine anyone trying to decide between any two of them. I absolutely do not want a three wheeler that I sit in like a sports car and steer with a steering wheel. Such vehicles are good for some people but I doubt if very many of them would consider as an alternative a vehicle that has a saddle, front/back seating and you sit on it rather than in it. Also, I can't imagine anyone trying to decide between a budget priced three wheeler or one that costs more than most full size sedans.

If I had money to burn, I might buy more than one but I wouldn't use them for the same purpose.

lightnin leeRoy
12-05-2014, 07:07 PM
I am still impressed with the Spyder, even though I have never driven one and more than likely never will. I really enjoy my RT L
Lightnin' LeeRoy

Laila's Dad
12-05-2014, 07:36 PM
The motorcycle/ not a motorcycle debate will most likely never end so when you ride you have to have your on confidence that it is whatever you need it to be...The thing that stuck out to me(outside of two of the vehicles looking like sports cars) was the comment about an experienced driver having problems with the "nanny". I have only had my Spyder 2 years so I wouldn't say I am a "veteran" of motorcycle riding by any means but from October of 2012 as of 12-5-2014 I have 28,000 miles on my Spyder and I have never once had the "nanny" engage under normal conditions(I have had the VSS come on in ice). This includes out of state trips. The reason is...I am not an aggressive rider(nor driver in my truck) so in curves I don't push it, I slow down. I posted a poll a while back about "types of roads you enjoy" and I may have been one of the few who didn't look forward to "twisties". My rush comes from miles of scenary, not from taking a curve fast on the "dragon" so I think that for some the "Nanny" will hold you back because you enjoy the adreniline rush but for others the "Nanny" is just a lady you hear about but have not met. lol.

Oldmanzues
12-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for posting this.
50 K base means what?
I do have a question, they said, you have to wear a helmet in CA on the Spyder, but not on the others because they have seat belts. I thought the determing factor was three wheels / Like a person with a side car does not need a helmet.
I do wear mine, but just wondering
Oldmanzues

Mexican
12-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Please remember
The view of the Slingshot from the rear... :yikes:
Uglier than a blown light bulb in a night without moon:shocked:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-06-2014, 01:13 AM
It looks like the Slingshot is just plain missing that other rear wheel! :roflblack:

The Morgan looks like a 1930s era Indy race car! The only thing that even somewhat resembles a motorcycle on it is the V-Twin engine, and then it's in the wrong place and turned the wrong way! :roflblack:

The Spyder looks like a motorcycle! And you can see the rider on it! :thumbup:

The big difference when you see them coming down the road, the Morgan and Slingshot look like a set of wheels with a person tucked in. The Spyder looks like a person with a set of wheels underneath. That's the way it should be, IMO! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-06-2014, 03:13 PM
I just back from gathering up some info about the Slinghots... :thumbup:
They're cool...
They're a Sports Car; not a motorcycle... Forget whatever your DMV tells you! :D
You don't sit as low in them as I feared, but ingress and egress will take some practice, in order to exude confidence while in the act...
These things are really... W I D E !! :shocked:

cuznjohn
12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I just back from gathering up some info about the Slinghots... :thumbup:
They're cool...
They're a Sports Car; not a motorcycle... Forget whatever your DMV tells you! :D
You don't sit as low in them as I feared, but ingress and egress will take some practice, in order to exude confidence while in the act...
These things are really... W I D E !! :shocked:

that is you bob, go for it

Bob Denman
12-06-2014, 03:29 PM
It'd be more fun than a barrelful of drunk monkeys... :D
But NOT as a replacement for the Spyder. :thumbup:
The Missus looked pretty good in it... 9968599686
John, I went to Teixera's in Hyde Park. Cross the Kingston/Rhinecliff bridge, and head South on Rte 9G for exactly 11 miles...
The guy I spoke with (Russ), said to come back when the roads are clear, and take it out for a spin! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
12-06-2014, 03:57 PM
It'd be more fun than a barrelful of drunk monkeys... :D
But NOT as a replacement for the Spyder. :thumbup:
The Missus looked pretty good in it... 9968599686
John, I went to Teixera's in Hyde Park. Cross the Kingston/Rhinecliff bridge, and head South on Rte 9G for exactly 11 miles...
The guy I spoke with (Russ), said to come back when the roads are clear, and take it out for a spin! :thumbup:

would love to hear a ride report. when i went out shopping today it was pouring and i was wondering if it had some sort of drainage in the cockpit if you get caught in a storm, or will it become a bath tub

Bob Denman
12-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Just carry a snorkel in the storage behind the seat... :thumbup:
Oh! And a bar of soap; might as well take advantage of the hand that you get dealt! :D