PDA

View Full Version : Received my slingshot Saturday

rabtech
12-01-2014, 09:44 AM
I first have to say that no one should be trying to compare a Slingshot with a Spyder. I love them both. The Slingshot is like a tiny sports car. I am 6'3" tall and 300 pounds and I fit perfectly. I have no wind in my face and I get to talk to my wife which now get to sit beside me. I still have my RT Spyder and will have it for a while longer. I have reasons to ride each one at different times. I think in the summer the Slingshot will have heat issues on the passenger side. Yesterday it was 70 degrees and you could feel heat on that side. It wasn't bad but you could feel it. I put this post in the off topic area because I don't think Slingshot info should be pushed on everyone that rides a Spyder. And i wont go into any topics with it unless someone ask me about something. So if you want a specific picture or want to know a specific bit of info just post it here.

Here are a few pics. I have ordered the bigger wheels and tires. And I have added the tall windshield and infotainment system to it already. The wheels and tires should be in Dec 12th.

cuznjohn
12-01-2014, 09:52 AM
very nice, good luck and ride safe

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 10:00 AM
:congrats: I believe that you're the first to report an actual delivery! :firstplace:
Here's to hoping that it bring you and yours, lots of fun! :2thumbs:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Wish i had the garage space for that.

rabtech
12-01-2014, 10:12 AM
:congrats: I believe that you're the first to report an actual delivery! :firstplace:

Thanks for the replies ,,,
I think i am the first one in Alabama. Cant tell for sure. But the truck driver said Hamilton AL was his first stop. He was dropping off two at 4 different dealers. They are trickling into each state slowly.
Texas, Indiana, Connecticut, Hawaii, and Maryland can't take delivery yet. Something about the law saying saddle and not saddle/seat. I had it sitting in my carport yesterday while I was cleaning out some space in my garage. It is a huge toy. Its wider than my F150 Ford.

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 10:16 AM
:shocked: That's pretty darn W... I.... D... E... :D

SpyderAnn01
12-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Reggy from TricLED has had his for over a week and another guy in Florida has his also. You miss these things, Bob, not being on Facebook.

murphybrown
12-01-2014, 10:42 AM

Reggy Tan of TricLED.com got his red one and has already tricked it out with LED's....NICE

Chupaca
12-01-2014, 10:50 AM
looks nice in solid black..you should have all aspects of open road riding covered now. In time you may have to move to the convertables..road to air and road to sea....:roflblack: enjoy and be safe...:thumbup:

DJFaninTN
12-01-2014, 10:59 AM
looks like fun!

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 11:04 AM
:shocked: If I don't see it in here...

..I won't see it! :D

:congrats: to Reggy! :2thumbs:

Joe T.
12-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I see the Slingshot as a TREMENDOUS platform for all kinds of upgrades, farkles, etc. A lot of people are going to make a lot of $$ on the Slingshot.

Joe T.

PrairieSpyder
12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
:congrats:

Imagine that . . . Heat on the right side!!!

Purple Guy
12-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Looks like a lot of fun!

Enjoy!

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Imagine that . . . Heat on the right side!!!

It does seem a bit... conspiratorial! :shocked:

mtbear
12-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Looking good.
mtbear:thumbup:

spyder3
12-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Looks awesome, best of luck with it!!:clap:

I was trying to get some perspective on how large it is.....It's 2" wider and 10" longer than my Rewaco. It is a big beast no doubt.

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Question: How w I d e are they actually?
The RTs are just a touch over 62" in width...

spyder3
12-01-2014, 12:54 PM

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot/specs

Bob Denman
12-01-2014, 01:27 PM
:shocked: Wow... :shocked:
An extra 15" across the beam...

blacklightning
12-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Congrats:clap:. That definately seems like a vehicle you would see Batman and Robin riding in:yes:.
I also think that would be a nice platform to place a small turbo onto the engine.

daveinva
12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Soooo... any other thoughts? Fun? Handling? Braking?

Completely random observation inspired by your pics: I've thought this before, but given the "open" nature of the headrests, I've wondered whether it'd be possible to strap soft luggage to the back of them for extra storage for roadtripping. Just don't know how easy it would be to tie down...

Saluda
12-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Interesting concept. Wish you the best with it.

ARtraveler
12-01-2014, 04:11 PM
:congrats: on your new Slingshot.

I note you mentioned delivery issues with more states than just Texas now. We will have to keep up on that one.

QUOTE: " I think i am the first one in Alabama. Cant tell for sure. But the truck driver said Hamilton AL was his first stop. He was dropping off two at 4 different dealers. They are trickling into each state slowly.
Texas, Indiana, Connecticut, Hawaii, and Maryland can't take delivery yet. Something about the law saying saddle and not saddle/seat. I had it sitting in my carport yesterday while I was cleaning out some space in my garage. It is a huge toy. Its wider than my F150 Ford. n it."

Enjoy your news SS and Welcome to the land of beta testers. :yes:

SAPD911
12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Any issues with the paint, low idle when downshifting, belt whine? Heard the brakes were not that good. I was in line to get one, but TX legislators are being butts right now!

I see you got the infotainment, windshield, and wheels/tires. Were the options more than the red SL? Do they charge install for these items? My dealer is charging $1600 over MSRP, says its freight and setup. BS! Sry for all the questions. Awesome SL!

BentGamer
12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I went for a ride in a friends last Friday. It is ridiculous! Ridiculous fun and ridiculous styling! Pictures just don't do it justice. He was wiping this thing like a Grand Canyon mule. Man it just handled like a dream. He was only getting 22 mph during our run through the Livermore hills, because of his aggressive driving. I had heard about some fit and finish concerns, so I looked his over real close. It really had quality through and through. He demonstrated the brakes. If I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, I would have been over the windshield and on the hood. There is absolutely no problem with the breakes!

Motorcycledave
12-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Was that you on Hwy 84 heading toward San Jose ???? I was on the other side riding my ST1100 going
toward Livermore...
I have mine on order right now.
Merry Christmas to me... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Dave

I went for a ride in a friends last Friday. It is ridiculous! Ridiculous fun and ridiculous styling! Pictures just don't do it justice. He was wiping this thing like a Grand Canyon mule. Man it just handled like a dream. He was only getting 22 mph during our run through the Livermore hills, because of his aggressive driving. I had heard about some fit and finish concerns, so I looked his over real close. It really had quality through and through. He demonstrated the brakes. If I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, I would have been over the windshield and on the hood. There is absolutely no problem with the breakes!

cuznjohn
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
i was at my dealer today just to say hello. he has 2 slingshots coming in tomorrow. they are spoken for so no test rides yet. i was curious and asked how they were delivered, he said a enclosed car carrier with no assembly. his 2 are coming from Syracuse NY. the truck is leaving there tonight and will be at his dealership in the morning.

Bob Denman
12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
:shocked: Do you want me to flag them down? They've got to pass by here somewhere... :D
If he's got two of them in shipment; that'd give EACH of us a chance to deliver them in person! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
12-02-2014, 02:40 PM
one red and one gray, i want the red

arntufun
12-02-2014, 02:43 PM
This is great news John !!!!!! Maybe mine will get dropped off along the way. :yes:

spyder3
12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
This is great news John !!!!!! Maybe mine will get dropped off along the way. :yes:

Two were just received in the philly store. Both sold, but you can look at them...:D

Bob Denman
12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
:nopic: or three of them?? :D :2thumbs:

SpyderDen
12-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Spent about an hour in the "other FL guys" Slingshot yesterday. Fun ride. Doesn't sit as low to the ground as I expected. Very smooth. The muffler is directly ahead of the passenger floorboard, but in 75 degree weather was not a problem. Have experienced much more heat on both of my RTS units. The 2.4L Solstice power plant is smooth. Had a HD rider checking it out and he asks "How much?" Then says "wow you could have got a Miata for that". He's on a 2005 HD, so I ask him "How much you pay for that?" He says "28k". Of course I say " wow you could have bought a Miata for that much". :roflblack:

GunDoctor
12-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Looks like a lot of fun for sure. Love the front end, rear, not so much. Reminds me of a Ferris wheel bucket. Would rather see a tubular frame, other than that..great fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JerryB
12-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi rabtech,

Re: It is a huge toy.

I just got a call from the local Polaris dealer about a test ride. He said that there would not be any costs for a test ride but that those folks who have put money down are first in line.

So I told him that I could contact him after the first of the year for that test ride.

We will see how it goes; always nice to try something different out ( wives excluded, of course ),

Jerry Baumchen

rabtech
12-03-2014, 08:29 AM
77" wide at the tires edge. Mirrors are a bit wider.

rabtech
12-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi rabtech,

Re: It is a huge toy.

I just got a call from the local Polaris dealer about a test ride. He said that there would not be any costs for a test ride but that those folks who have put money down are first in line.

So I told him that I could contact him after the first of the year for that test ride.

We will see how it goes; always nice to try something different out ( wives excluded, of course ),

Jerry Baumchen
If you were closer you could test drive mine.

redflasher
12-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Any issues with the paint, low idle when downshifting, belt whine? Heard the brakes were not that good. I was in line to get one, but TX legislators are being butts right now!

I see you got the infotainment, windshield, and wheels/tires. Were the options more than the red SL? Do they charge install for these items? My dealer is charging $1600 over MSRP, says its freight and setup. BS! Sry for all the questions. Awesome SL!

Salesman told me that the Slingshot is shipped assembled in a semi trailer. Not on a pallet so what set up can there be except adding fluids-charge battery- wash?

BentGamer
12-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Was that you on Hwy 84 heading toward San Jose ???? I was on the other side riding my ST1100 going
toward Livermore...
I have mine on order right now.
Merry Christmas to me... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Dave

Merry Christmas indeed! Good times ahead. Slingshot F3 so many toys.
Probably my buddy, but not with me. We headed into the Livermore hills going away from San Jose.
What dealership are you buying from?
I will be getting one in the spring.

rabtech
12-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Yea it has issues with paint. It is acceptable but not show car good. Its like the metallic has spots where its a bit more concentrated. Its not really noticeable unless you really stare into it. I also will say they could have taken more time around the edges and sanded the moulding seams.

I don't think its belt whine personally. I think its the 1:1 shaft to belt gear box. I haven't investigated it. Its just annoying. Some say they like the noise. I hate it. Brakes are on par. I would like them to be a bit better but they are good. I would say if I could fix only one thing it would be whining. It goes away when your driving normally. Taking off its a low moan. and it works its way up to a high pitch at speed. The low idle has only happened once to me.

I got it for the same price as the red SL. They added all the stuff the SL had and even thru in a trailering cover. My dealer was great. I do all my installs so I had them put the box with the infotainment system into my truck. I did my install the next day. It was a pretty tough one. I had to remove a ton of stuff to install it. It does sound good but I have already gutted the speaker pods and installed JL C2 speakers. I am installing a JL amp also . I haven't installed the amp yet but I will tonight.

rabtech
12-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Salesman told me that the Slingshot is shipped assembled in a semi trailer. Not on a pallet so what set up can there be except adding fluids-charge battery- wash?

The only thing they have to do is remove a strap holding down the suspension on the back. And screw the mirrors on. They start it up and drive it off the truck.

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 11:58 AM

I just got the official word:
Teixera's Polaris, in Hyde Park, NY has two of them on site...
(845) 229 8877

We're going to go take a look at them tomorrow! :yes::ohyea::yes:

rabtech
12-05-2014, 03:03 PM

(845) 229 8877

Better carry the checkbook. Its a looker! And so far the farkles are about the same as any other toy.

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
The Missus carries both the checkbook, and my testicles; with her at all times... :opps:

cuznjohn
12-05-2014, 04:24 PM
do you feel that you need a windshield on yours, it is a option

ARtraveler
12-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I still want one real bad.

Two Problems: Cannot find a dealer here that is going to carry them.

Would have to sell off the 2011. I offered it for sale for $24K in another thread that got taken down so I will put it up here also. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 06:08 PM
I'd love to pay you that amount... :thumbup:

...Except it's just not the rare and valuable PE from 2010... :D

ARtraveler
12-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I'd love to pay you that amount... :thumbup:

...Except it's just not the rare and valuable PE from 2010... :D

Which KBB said was worth at least $500 more. NOT!!!!!!~! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack: Ya can't fault me for trying though. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I would have been sorely disappointed, if you hadn't... :D :thumbup:

We're gonna go check them out tomorrow... They'll have both models on the showroom floor. The Missus is charging up her camera...

JerryB
12-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi rabtech,

Here is an article on the SlingShot from today's WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/polaris-slingshot-an-odd-way-to-blow-24-000-1417805910

Jerry Baumchen

rabtech
12-06-2014, 09:04 PM
do you feel that you need a windshield on yours, it is a option

Yes, you need it. Im 6'3" and the wind just hits the top of my head with the blade windshield.

rabtech
12-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Hi rabtech,

Here is an article on the SlingShot from today's WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/polaris-slingshot-an-odd-way-to-blow-24-000-1417805910

Jerry Baumchen

Yea , its neat that he hasn't ever ridden in one and wanted to be a keyboard representative of the Polaris Slingshot world.

I don't wear a helmet when I ride in mine. Alabama as well as a few other states have a law that exempts "enclosed cabins". I have already been stopped 2 times and shown them the paperwork from NHSTA and the Alabama State Law. I had one cop get all excited and tell me it wasn't enclosed. I said " your almost correct, it is "enclosed". Its just not "fully enclosed". And then I referred him to two other states that have "enclosed" and "fully enclosed" cabins as their definitions. Both said " looks good to me" and on my way I went.

rabtech
12-06-2014, 09:18 PM

(845) 229 8877

Well what did you think about it??

Bob Denman
12-07-2014, 09:49 AM
I put it up in CuznJohn's thread about going to see them...
In a nutshell; an alternative, but not a replacement!
But WAY cool! :2thumbs:
I also stuck some pictures in there, and an impression or two about the mechanicals...

jimcrom
12-14-2014, 01:11 AM
So here is my question. I sat in one last weekend and with a 61" waist it was a little tight. Now I have seen on Nascar cars that they have a device where you are able to remove the steering wheel. How difficult/expensive would that be. Also changing the diameter of the steering wheel by an inch would give more room.

Yes, you need it. Im 6'3" and the wind just hits the top of my head with the blade windshield.