PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes tour from 40 year's ago

Pennyrick
11-30-2014, 02:42 PM
I was looking through some old stuff this morning and came across an article my wife wrote for Touring Bike Magazine (long ago out of business) about our trip around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. I dug into the old photos and found a couple of pics from that trip.

In 1974 we were riding brand new Honda 360 Ts'. This was the old 350 twin design, punched out to 360 so it delivered 34 horse power. The T designated the fact that it had a disc brake on the front but I never did figure out where the T came in.

Shortly after we bought the bikes my wife painted hers pink and not to be outdone I painted mine a sickly frog green. We had added clear fairings, sissy bars to strap our luggage to and 23 channel (40 channels were not available back then) CB units so we could talk to each other.

We lived in Michigan at the time so we headed north toward Sault Ste. Marie and began our trek up the Trans Canada highway along the coast of Lake Superior. Even though it was June we encountered below freezing temperatures and most days we rode with several layers of clothing as the wind coming off of the lake was pretty severe.

One memorable experience was coming down into Thunder Bay in a freezing rainstorm that iced up the road and made it pretty hairy on those little Hondas.

We crossed back to the USA and headed for Duluth and then back along the bottom of Lake Michigan and back home.

It was a ten-day trip that was very memorable but I am amazed to think back on the fact that we did it on two little V-twins that combined, didn't have the power that one of our Spyders do today. They did have six speed transmissions that used the power of those little twins to the best of their ability.

We've come a long way but the thrill stays pretty much the same.

mowin
11-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Sounds like you made some great memories.

Cruzr Joe
11-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Cool w/pictures!!!! :yes::yes::yes:

Cruzr joe

vided
11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Cool:yes:

Chupaca
11-30-2014, 04:27 PM
we need a repeat on the current ryde..with pictures to match. Must have been a great ride and fun re living it now..wheres the article..?? :2thumbs:

Pennyrick
11-30-2014, 05:26 PM
we need a repeat on the current ryde..with pictures to match. Must have been a great ride and fun re living it now..wheres the article..?? :2thumbs:

I can only find the first page of her article on our trip. I'm still looking for the other pages.

Here is another piece she wrote for the same magazine that you may find interesting.

PrairieSpyder
11-30-2014, 06:00 PM
That was back when "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" !!!

Thanks for sharing that - and the pics, too!:thumbup:

NovaSpyder
11-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Cool thanks for sharing. My cousin had a 360T, but I opted for the big one a '75 CB500T! Didn't make any long trips like that, but nonetheless had some memorable ones.

I love that you both still have the same passion for biking as you did 40 years ago! :2thumbs:

So did you make that 3 week trip to Mexico?

ARtraveler
11-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks for posting about your Great Lakes trip. I also had a 360T at the same time. Lived in Ft. Wayne IN at the time, so it never saw MN.

Those smaller cc engines were very dependable and fun to drive. Compared to today, they lacked some power, but I loved it anyway.

Raknid
11-30-2014, 09:57 PM
very cool.... and bonus points for the action shot of the Chevy Caprice (Impala??) in the one pic. ��