PDA

View Full Version : 331 Mile F3 Test Ryde

BikerDoc
11-30-2014, 09:33 AM
On Thanksgiving Day I took a 331 mile F3 Test Ryde compliments of Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee, Fl. It was an incredible way to spend the holiday. For those who wish to see my full trip report/evaluation click on the following link
http://www.usspyderryders.com/blog/2014/11/29/331-mile-f3-thanksgiving-day-test-ryde

Dec 1st I rode the F3 an additional 93 miles and updated my blog for some additional observations. You may wish to look at the link again to get the full report Ryde Safe

den1953
11-30-2014, 09:43 AM
That was one of the best demo ride reports yet. Hopefully another demo rider will do a You-Tube video of his F3 ride sometime soon. I like these videos taken from the rider perspective and get a lot from watching & listening to their comments. Your's was well written though and appreciated.

bodymanpainter
11-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Good right up and I am liking the F3 more and more, just will not get rid of my RTS and can't bring myself to
part with my Honda 1800N (the beast) so may be some time in the future it may be my next bike.
Thanks for your right up and thoughts on a great new machine. I got to test ride one in Daytona and was very
impressed with it also, just didn't get to ride as far as you did.
Toby

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Doc! :clap: :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
11-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Nice write up, thank you

(keeping my 2014 RTS)

Cruzr Joe

GunDoctor
11-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Ditto from my review...power is crazy fun. Like your comment on a windshield. I just couldn't remember the wind issue during my ride. May have to look more into that as I will be using the Magna 9 from Bell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BikerDoc
11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Nice write up, thank you

(keeping my 2014 RTS)

Cruzr Joe so am I, The F3 is an add on. The RTL and trailer will still be with us for long distance rides

one2doo
11-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Great Review thanks.:clap:

SpyderRx
11-30-2014, 05:27 PM
so am I, The F3 is an add on. The RTL and trailer will still be with us for long distance rides
Great review! I had a much shorter demo ride but I agree with many things you said. Especially the windshield! What did you think about the stock seat. I was on an F3-S and I thought the seat was extremely comfortable. I agree about buying both backrest but I had originally thought I may also need the cannonball seat based on the comfort of the stock seat on previous spyders but I'm not so sure it is needed. I will definitely not buy it up front and try the stock for awhile. My only concern is storage as I plan on doing at least a couple of 1500 mile trips per year but I'm sure that can be solved easily. I'm on an 09 GS now and the smoothness of the ride compared to my bike was unbelievable. Spyders sure have came along way in a few short years. I love the F-3!!

Chupaca
11-30-2014, 05:32 PM
now thats a test ryde...a bit more and it will be broke in..!! :thumbup::thumbup: thanks..!!

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 05:46 PM
:agree:
Doc,
Is CFPS going to hire you on, as the guy who delivers bikes as pre-broke-in? :D

BikerDoc
11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Great review! I had a much shorter demo ride but I agree with many things you said. Especially the windshield! What did you think about the stock seat. I was on an F3-S and I thought the seat was extremely comfortable. I agree about buying both backrest but I had originally thought I may also need the cannonball seat based on the comfort of the stock seat on previous spyders but I'm not so sure it is needed. I will definitely not buy it up front and try the stock for awhile. My only concern is storage as I plan on doing at least a couple of 1500 mile trips per year but I'm sure that can be solved easily. I'm on an 09 GS now and the smoothness of the ride compared to my bike was unbelievable. Spyders sure have came along way in a few short years. I love the F-3!! I think the stock seat is quite comfortable compared to any standard Spyder seat I have ridden before. I did not order the cannonball seat and the only reason I ordered the backrests was for extra support against the torque (the deep cut of the seat actually supported my lower back fairly well)

Scooter
11-30-2014, 06:43 PM
On Thanksgiving Day I took a 331 mile F3 Test Ryde compliments of Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee, Fl. It was an incredible way to spend the holiday. For those who wish to see my full trip report/evaluation click on the following link
http://www.usspyderryders.com/blog/2014/11/29/331-mile-f3-thanksgiving-day-test-ryde

Nice write-up Doc. But I will keep my 2014 RTS :thumbup: :thumbup:

randian
11-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Can somebody summarize the F3 for me? Lots of raves but I'm not clear why it's so much better than the previous Spyders.

JYM GERD
11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Nice review.

SpyderRx
11-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Can somebody summarize the F3 for me? Lots of raves but I'm not clear why it's so much better than the previous Spyders.
I think the biggest and most significant difference to me was the fact that you are sitting lower and "in" the spyder instead of "on" the spyder. It allows you to take corners without the feeling that you have to counter the force pulling you away from the curve. Now you are a part of the spyder and simply follow it through the curve, if that makes and sense. I've only ridden an RT a very short distance but comparing it to the RS and ST it is a much smoother ride with more power and torque. I also like the fact that the motor runs at a lower RPM at cruising speed. That's just my take on it for whatever it is worth.

ARtraveler
11-30-2014, 08:00 PM
A good review. Thanks for posting Doc. :yes:

PrairieSpyder
11-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the review. Tell more about the "linkages" you'd buy for ufit. Can't the fit be adjusted without buying something more?

chuck gross
11-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the review. Tell more about the "linkages" you'd buy for ufit. Can't the fit be adjusted without buying something more?

Patti when I looked at the F3 at the Seattle international motorcycle show and talked to the BRP guys yes you have to buy different linkages for the Brake pedal on the se6 at 29.99 each or the sm6 you will need one for the brake and the shifter at 49.99 also each different handle bar set is 449.99 each. you would only need to buy these if you want to change your riding position after the initial set up.
it will be interesting to hear the people gripe about not getting the set up that fits them right the first time and having to purchase different linkages and handle bars at a fair amount of cost. hopefully the dealers/BRP will be willing to work with people to get it right up till say 2K miles at no extra cost, but some how I doubt it cause as soon as you drive it off the lot it is now used and I know that I wouldn't want them putting some one else's used parts on my new machine at least until I wanted to do the swap thing and not have it cost anything I guess we shall see!! :popcorn::popcorn:

petegtsv10
11-30-2014, 10:33 PM
If one chooses to move the pegs (or floorboards) to different positions, specific length linkages must be used to also move the brake pedal and/or gear shifter. It's too bad they didn't just design the linkages to be adjustable. On a surprising mote, the linkages are not very expensive!!

chuck gross
11-30-2014, 10:42 PM
If one chooses to move the pegs (or floorboards) to different positions, specific length linkages must be used to also move the brake pedal and/or gear shifter. It's too bad they didn't just design the linkages to be adjustable. On a surprising mote, the linkages are not very expensive!!

The linkages are relatively cheap but the handle bars aren't they run 449.99 for chrome I think the carbon black are only 149.99 if I am reading it right in the new catalog.

SpyderRx
12-01-2014, 12:12 AM
The linkages are relatively cheap but the handle bars aren't they run 449.99 for chrome I think the carbon black are only 149.99 if I am reading it right in the new catalog.
I think you are correct on pricing however I was under the impression that if you made any change from the stock position it comes with from the factory you have to purchase the linkage or handlebar. Are you saying there is no charge for the initial setup no matter what the position?

chuck gross
12-01-2014, 12:38 AM
I think you are correct on pricing however I was under the impression that if you made any change from the stock position it comes with from the factory you have to purchase the linkage or handlebar. Are you saying there is no charge for the initial setup no matter what the position?

Gosh I don't know for sure I would like to think that you can get it adjusted initially at no extra cost thus the whole Idea of the U-fit system.
I didn't get too specific with BRP guys as I haven't decided to order one I am a little once bitten twice shy with the 2013 STL as much as I love my spyder I am a little apprehensive about buying a first year model again.
I do really want to test ride an F3 that won't be happening until February when my dealer gets their shipments.

JYM GERD
12-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Great writeup!

BikerDoc
12-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Today I rode the F3 an additional 93 miles bringing my total test ryde to 424 miles. I made some new observations on my blog. you may wish to click on the link again to get the latest tidbits in what I hope is now a full report.

ARtraveler
12-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the additional update. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

vondalyn
12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
did you talk to the driver of the slingshot after your ride? what did they think of you honking at them in corners? :doorag:

den1953
12-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Yeah, a windshield and a passenger backrest would definitely come first as must haves. Saddlebags as well but maybe somebody will make a luggage rack that will accept a nice sized trunk/topcase that would have a passenger backrest built into it. I mean one big enough for a full face helmet at least. Givi comes to mind as well as others like Hepco & Becker. Corbin is usually very expensive and styled a bit over the top for my taste.

PrairieSpyder
12-01-2014, 08:21 PM
I think I'd get a windshield & backrest anyway, but don't you suppose you'd get used to rolling on more carefully if the acceleration is that powerful? Or learn to lean forward when you're about to roll on.

randian
12-01-2014, 08:25 PM
The front trunk not accepting a full face helmet is an epic fail. Why is the acceleration so good? I thought this was the same old 1330 engine.

Dragonrider
12-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Gearing.... I suspect the milage will suffer a bit too

randian
12-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Short gearing will do that. Do those tiny accessory windshields provide much wind protection for the chest and hands? Looks like little protection for the legs.

Mike,P
12-01-2014, 08:55 PM
The front trunk not accepting a full face helmet is an epic fail. Why is the acceleration so good? I thought this was the same old 1330 engine.

Gearing and 160 pound diet

den1953
12-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Or shorty helmets as they are sometimes called is what I wear. That little frunk might be able to hold one who knows? Shorty helmets also like windshields as I've demoed open bikes on windy days where it felt like the blast was trying to tear the helmet off. Open bikes cause me a sore neck mostly.

BikerDoc
12-01-2014, 09:20 PM
The front trunk not accepting a full face helmet is an epic fail. Why is the acceleration so good? I thought this was the same old 1330 engine. In addition to gearing, it weighs 180 pounds less and most importantly its profile through the wind is about half of the RT. When you drive and RT forward its similar to trying to push a large wall up the highway... The F3 is low and lean - much better aerodynamics

BikerDoc
12-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Short gearing will do that. Do those tiny accessory windshields provide much wind protection for the chest and hands? Looks like little protection for the legs. My comment was that I felt like I had an anvil on my chest, and my buddy who also test rode 300 miles said he felt like he had a elephant on his chest.. SO CHEST AREA PROTECTION IS THE KEY FOR ME. I think the two larger windshields will do the trick.. I ordered the Route 66

bikeguy
12-01-2014, 09:44 PM
In addition to gearing, it weighs 180 pounds less and most importantly its profile through the wind is about half of the RT. When you drive and RT forward its similar to trying to push a large wall up the highway... The F3 is low and lean - much better aerodynamics

I haven't weighed either so I can't be positive but the service manual says my 2010 base RT weighs 882 pounds, a difference of only 52 pounds more than the F3. As far as aerodynamics, my guess is that the biggest difference is the windshield and I'll trade the wind protection and comfort for the speed and gas mileage any day. But that's just me.

Cotton

BikerDoc
12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I haven't weighed either so I can't be positive but the service manual says my 2010 base RT weighs 882 pounds, a difference of only 52 pounds more than the F3. As far as aerodynamics, my guess is that the biggest difference is the windshield and I'll trade the wind protection and comfort for the speed and gas mileage any day. But that's just me.

Cotton The 2014 RT with the 1330 weighs well over 1000 pounds- Spyder have put on weight.......

SpyderRx
12-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Short gearing will do that. Do those tiny accessory windshields provide much wind protection for the chest and hands? Looks like little protection for the legs.
I hardly felt any wind on my legs when I rode last Friday. You actually do have great coverage because of the way the body is shaped in front of you bit pretty much covers you and there are deflectors located on the frame just in front of the foot pegs. I was pleasantly surprised! As far the windshields I will get the Route 66. It appears short for a "tall" windshield but you have to factor in that you are sitting much lower on the F3 than other spyders. I have not rode with a windshield but would love to before I purchase one but this is my logical observation I came up with.

petegtsv10
12-01-2014, 10:37 PM
All of this talk about how fast the F3 accelerates has me confused. It's an 850 lb machine with 115 hp and 96 tq. BRP claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That puts it's acceleration on par (or slower) than large V-twin cruisers like H-D, Victory and Indian. Very few people would consider any of those "fast" machines. That's also in the realm of many sports sedans. I think we've gotten a little carried away with our first impressions here. My wife will have hers next month and I'll post back if I need to admit I'm wrong.....

den1953
12-02-2014, 06:52 AM
I'm riding a Victory Cross Country (1734cc) with Stage One and previously had a Triumph Rocket III Touring (Inline Triple @ 2297cc) which was the strongest accelerating cruiser I ever had. I had a Yamaha Star Roadliner 1900 (1858cc) prior to that which was pretty quick too. I don't think there will be anything hairy or scary about the F3 in terms of acceleration. At least to me anyhow

Bob Denman
12-02-2014, 09:38 AM
All of this talk about how fast the F3 accelerates has me confused. It's an 850 lb machine with 115 hp and 96 tq. BRP claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That puts it's acceleration on par (or slower) than large V-twin cruisers like H-D, Victory and Indian. Very few people would consider any of those "fast" machines. That's also in the realm of many sports sedans. I think we've gotten a little carried away with our first impressions here. My wife will have hers next month and I'll post back if I need to admit I'm wrong.....
So; you haven't even ridden one yet, and you STILL feel prepared to talk about how it accelerates? :dontknow:

bikeguy
12-02-2014, 10:50 AM
So; you haven't even ridden one yet, and you STILL feel prepared to talk about how it accelerates? :dontknow:

Until the F3's are widely available to ride, I think it's legitimate to consider their performance based on numbers. Numbers don't mean everything but they are a good starting point. Personally, I don't see them as being hot-rods, either. BRP claims 0 - 60 times of 4.8 seconds for the F3 but they claimed 0 - 60 times of 4.5 seconds for the '08 and '09 GS/RS's. So, according to BRP's own numbers, the RS's are still the hot-rods in the stable. There are a lot of things that are desirable about the F3 depending on your taste, for me I love the looks of it. I just don't see it as being a hot-rod.

Cotton

petegtsv10
12-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I didn't intend for this to be at all negative concerning the F3. I am actually eagerly anticipating it's arrival at our house. (I never warmed up to the RT even though my wife loves it) I'm just amused at reading how quick some feel a 4.8 second 0-60 feels. You don't hear people with mid 4 second cruisers (typical) worrying about needing a backrest to stay on the bikes! With all the turbo sedans on the market now, sub 5 second cars are at every stoplight. We are really looking forward to the increased performance over the non-Ace RTs, however.

OJ UK
12-02-2014, 10:58 AM

I believe the acceleration comparison is with other Spyders not two-wheelers, a similarly powered bike is always going to be quicker than a trike.
......There are no figures for standing quarters yet which is hardly surprising as no-one yet owns an F3. When you are sitting that low down rather
than the higher position of the RT/RS the perception of speed is greater.
I also believe that Lamont reckons that the 4.8 sec. 0-60 might be a bit conservative. By the time that SpyderFest arrives there'll be quite a few riders
who will be able to confirm their findings. I might even have ridden mine enough to pass an opinion.

den1953
12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
I agree that a two wheel motorcycle that might weigh 100 pounds or more less with the same horsepower & torque will indeed sprint a good deal quicker. Power to weight ratios are the biggest reason for a vehicle's quickness or slowness. Gearing and traction are important for getting "out of the hole" while aerodynamics becomes huge at speed. A two wheel motorcycle has a much narrower profile as well as a weight advantage. But that's not really what makes the Spyder so special as it's a different animal, apples & oranges so-to-speak.

Mike,P
12-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Fast n quick are two measurements that are different and yet both relative to how fast or quick you've been on something else... I've been on a race track in cars on motorcycles on pavement as well as off-road.. I've been over 180 mph on a motorcycle and almost 160 in a car so speaking for myself,, I think I have a pretty good sense of what fast / quick is.. Having said that,, the modifications I made to my 13 RTS made me happy ,, but I'm moving to an F3 because I think I'll be happier 😎 given the fact it's so much lighter n more nimble than what I currently ride.. I think I'll be quite satisfied = fast n quick enough for me 😃

JYM GERD
12-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Sounds like the F3 is going to be a success!