PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays?

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Is that what we're supposed to say to each other now?

It reminds me of a story, from back when I was pretty young and useless...
I come from a Town that is pretty much White, and Protestant...
Somehow; my first girlfriend ever; was Jewish!
We had a great time over the Summer, and things pretty-well kept pace on through the Fall, and into Winter...
I was invited up to their House about Mid-December, for Dinner...
Now; they lived about two miles up on the mountain, at the end of a dirt road that wasn't plowed. You didn't drive there in the Winter; you rode a snowmobile. They had an old Ski Doo Valmont for getting up and down the hill.
...But I had my own ride! :thumbup: My trusty 1968 Ski Doo Super Olympique! We rode often with the local DEC Ranger, and he let us store our sleds at his place for the riding season. It was only about a mile down the road from where the trip to their house got "interesting"...
But that's not important here...
I arrive, and am met at the Door with everyone yelling "Happy Chanukkah!"
To which I dumbly replied... "Happy Holidays"...
It was my first experience with a celebration not involving my own Christian background, and probably also my first miserable attempt at being "sensitive" to someone else's perspective.
Her Mom (A SWEET Lady), asked me if I meant to say "Merry Christmas"?
Of course; I dumbly nodded...
"Then please do!"
"If you say Merry Christmas; I'll answer with Happy Chanukkah"
"That way we can celebrate both!"

It might be a bit early; but at least we've got Thanksgiving safely tucked away...
Merry Christmas; everybody!

ARtraveler
11-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

PrairieSpyder
11-28-2014, 06:39 PM
And to you, too! MERRY CHRISTMAS​!!

Frank G
11-28-2014, 06:46 PM
This is America, we can all have our traditions, respect each other and live in harmony. Merry Christmas

MisterP
11-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Peas on earth, gouda wheel, two men...

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 06:57 PM
:roflblack: :clap: :thumbup:

bruiser
11-28-2014, 08:32 PM
One of the guys I was stationed with was Baptist and married to a Jewish lady. They had a Christmas tree and Menorah in their house.

vided
11-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a quick winter. :yes::yes::yes:

LEEB
11-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Is that what we're supposed to say to each other now?

It reminds me of a story, from back when I was pretty young and useless...
I come from a Town that is pretty much White, and Protestant...
Somehow; my first girlfriend ever; was Jewish!
We had a great time over the Summer, and things pretty-well kept pace on through the Fall, and into Winter...
I was invited up to their House about Mid-December, for Dinner...
Now; they lived about two miles up on the mountain, at the end of a dirt road that wasn't plowed. You didn't drive there in the Winter; you rode a snowmobile. They had an old Ski Doo Valmont for getting up and down the hill.
...But I had my own ride! :thumbup: My trusty 1968 Ski Doo Super Olympique! We rode often with the local DEC Ranger, and he let us store our sleds at his place for the riding season. It was only about a mile down the road from where the trip to their house got "interesting"...
But that's not important here...
I arrive, and am met at the Door with everyone yelling "Happy Chanukkah!"
To which I dumbly replied... "Happy Holidays"...
It was my first experience with a celebration not involving my own Christian background, and probably also my first miserable attempt at being "sensitive" to someone else's perspective.
Her Mom (A SWEET Lady), asked me if I meant to say "Merry Christmas"?
Of course; I dumbly nodded...
"Then please do!"
"If you say Merry Christmas; I'll answer with Happy Chanukkah"
"That way we can celebrate both!"

It might be a bit early; but at least we've got Thanksgiving safely tucked away...
Merry Christmas; everybody!

And my friends, that is the way is should be done! Simple respect for each other. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

MisterP
11-28-2014, 09:23 PM

mowin
11-29-2014, 08:22 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS.....

acinpcola
11-29-2014, 09:56 AM
I hope you all have a Blessed and Merry Christmas

Chupaca
11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Hannukka comes at different dates but always around christmas time. For the most part before Christmas but sometimes as early as Nov due to the Jewish calendar. So I will start with Happy Hannukka and follow with a Merry Christmas...:yes::yes:

Oldmanzues
11-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Merry Christmas to. If you have different holiday or none at all, say it, but please do not knock mine down
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
11-30-2014, 11:54 AM
We'll celebrate ALL of them! Any excuse for a Party! :D :cheers: :thumbup:

Even...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LbfMmCf5-ds

bmccaffrey
11-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Merry Christmas too all:yes:

You know Bob they have taken God out of our schools and goverment. It was recently on the news on the swear in oath for the military one guy refused to say so help me God was against his principles.
Most schools know it's happy holidays and not merry xmas.

LETS ALL REMEMBER THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS!!!!