PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Online Presence for a Reason

Spyder_Cowgirl
11-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Hello fellow SpyderLovers ... the subject line says it all. Due to a case of IDENTITY THEFT (as in my information was stolen), nojoke I have severely limited my online presence. I am also thankful for LifeLock as they caught a newly opened account with a certain wireless company where my SS and b-day were used but the name didn't match. Sent me an alert 10/12/2014 and the account was closed within 24 hours of open -- in addition, I have an e-mail from the wireless carrier stating I am not responsible for charges. So, a police report, and 7-year fraud alerts on BOTH our credit files later ... I feel a bit better, but am still limiting my online presence. Have no idea where the info was stolen, I did just start a new job and had filled out a few applications with personal information (all paper) .... but, just don't know (I don't even use my correct birthday in any of my online accounts).

So, if you have sent me e-mail or a PM recently and I haven't responded, that is why and I apologize for not responding (when, clearly, a response was expected) -- I'm still keeping a pretty low online profile. I read a lot, but don't login or post near as much as I did before this happened.

Just to be clear, I'm not pointing fingers here ... but I AM urging everyone to take care with their personal information and, if you can, get some id theft protection such as LifeLock (this is not a specific endorsement for them either).

Be careful ... the thieves are out there and trolling ... All the best .... Ann

Chupaca
11-28-2014, 04:56 PM
thanks for the heads up...this is a read only post...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 05:49 PM
:shocked: I am sorry to hear that you've had to endure this...

Thanks for filling in the gaps, and the best of luck with getting things made right! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
11-28-2014, 06:00 PM
had it happen to me also, so how do we know this is really you

ARtraveler
11-28-2014, 06:03 PM
We live in a whole different world today. We have to be careful about so much. :(

Spyder_Cowgirl
11-28-2014, 07:14 PM
:shocked: I am sorry to hear that you've had to endure this...

Thanks for filling in the gaps, and the best of luck with getting things made right! :2thumbs:

Thanks Bob .... so far, it is just the one account ... but I am watching things VERY closely, for sure. All the best ... Ann

Spyder_Cowgirl
11-28-2014, 07:17 PM
... so how do we know this is really you

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Thanks John -- I need the humor! I'm STILL laughing as I type this!

All the best .... Ann (and yes, it's really me ...nojoke)

bruiser
11-28-2014, 08:27 PM
It can happen to any one of us. We shred all paperwork that has our name and address on. If it doesn't get filed it gets shredded. I put a stop on all unsolicited credit card applications that come in the mail. I don't open e-mails If I don't recognize the name. You really have to watch.

grumpybob
11-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I got an alert letter from the bank about my Debit Card this past Tuesday. Wednesday I cancelled my debit card, closed my checking account, opened a new checking account, will not get a new Debit Card, & will not hook my savings account to my checking account anymore. Next I will go to a cash only concept except for auto-deposit.

GunDoctor
11-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Here is the thing when "friends" send out those cute kitten picture to everyone in their address book, it's open game. You have now been shared with the cyber world. It's your friends that you have to be careful of if they don't blind copy. I have a friend that keeps sending me all kinds of crazy email, so I know it isn't her. I know this to be true because she died from lung cancer last year. One you open up "familiar" email you're basically screwed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
11-29-2014, 12:28 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Thanks John -- I need the humor! I'm STILL laughing as I type this!

All the best .... Ann (and yes, it's really me ...nojoke)

glad i can make you smile in a bad time, i am also glad you took it as i meant it. i also have lifelock and have gotten a few reports from them. it is a good service to have, all the best,,, john

AbNormy
11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
My AAA membership includes a credit monitoring service and it works !

Bob Denman
11-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Ann,
I don't think that was John answering you... :shocked:
It didn't look like him at all! :yikes:

anonymous...