PDA

View Full Version : Mirror trying to fall off

lwrydr
11-26-2014, 07:49 PM
I was just cleaning my 2013 RT Limited for a parade on Sunday and noticed my left side mirror is trying to fall off. The "keeper", that faces the front, spring seems to have lost it's tension. I called and was told if you put a 2014 "keeper" in place of the old one that it works a lot better. I ordered 2 of these things and hope they get here (Olymoia) by Sat. Was wondering is anyone else has done this.

Cruzr Joe
11-26-2014, 07:58 PM
I was just cleaning my 2013 RT Limited for a parade on Sunday and noticed my left side mirror is trying to fall off. The "keeper", that faces the front, spring seems to have lost it's tension. I called and was told if you put a 2014 "keeper" in place of the old one that it works a lot better. I ordered 2 of these things and hope they get here (Olymoia) by Sat. Was wondering is anyone else has done this.

They have a tendency to bend or break, you have to handle them gently but firmly.

Cruzr joe

Peter Aawen
11-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Each time my 2013 RT went to the local dealer it came back with one of the top 'pellets' broken (the one with the keyhole slot in it that drops over the top pin) The mirrors still 'looked' OK parked & when riding out the driveway, but as soon as I got on the road & hit any reasonable speed the top of the mirror would flop off the pin & the whole mirror would vibrate/fall off!! Not happy with them at all - the local dealer AND the flimsy placcy pellets!! :yikes:

Problem solved now tho - that dealer doesn't work on my RT anymore, & I hand-made 'less fragile' replacements for all of the pellets. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
11-26-2014, 08:15 PM
You can try to squeeze the pins back together with a needle nose pliers, sometimes that's all they need. We keep a supply of them at our house. The price though is ridiculous.

lwrydr
11-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Ann, I tried that and it didn't work....will see if the ones for a 2014 work better....they are suppose to....stay tuned.

robtdonna
11-26-2014, 09:26 PM
2014s are no better. Here is how I fixed mine, go to post #6 (mod #5).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?73434-Synthia-the-SpYder-mods-Let-the-farkling-begin-!

jcthorne
11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Please post the part number for the 2014 mirror catches. Thanks.

lwrydr
11-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Please post the part number for the 2014 mirror catches. Thanks.

The part # that I got from the dealer when I ordered them is 219800156.

Bob Denman
11-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:
But the new parts aren't any better... :gaah:

lwrydr
11-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Bob, I don't want to hear that...The dealer told me that they (BRP) and made an upgrade to how the mirrors attach and you know they do not tell fibs....:sour:

cptjam
11-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Ann, I tried that and it didn't work....will see if the ones for a 2014 work better....they are suppose to....stay tuned.
Remove mirror. Remove clip assembly. Remove spring from plastic. Bend spring clip in. Reassemble, with a spritz of WD40 on it. As long as it is not broken, it will work.
Bring it over, I will fix it!
or send it to me, I will fix it.
16 bucks is beyond reason, to me. 5, maybe. I fix them a lot, it is a common problem. Joe

jcthorne
11-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Just for refrence the clip for the upper pin is PN 219800158 and they are $7.99 each.

cptjam
11-27-2014, 02:04 PM
You can buy the plastic housing and the clip separate. The assembly, complete is pn/219800156. ...158 gets the plastic only.

lwrydr
11-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Guess I really got screwed.....bought 2 and with shipping (USPS standard) the bill was over $40...

Marker
11-27-2014, 02:35 PM
You can try to squeeze the pins back together with a needle nose pliers, sometimes that's all they need. We keep a supply of them at our house. The price though is ridiculous.

:agree: Just have to be very gentle so that the pins will not break

Highwayman2013
11-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Blueknight911 had a fix for this, he made a little "L" bracket for the front clip and put a screw up through from the bottom of the mirror. Check his posts.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Blueknight911 had a fix for this, he made a little "L" bracket for the front clip and put a screw up through from the bottom of the mirror. Check his posts.
​Thanks for remembering me .................But after looking at robtdonna's fix I modified mine and completely did away with the front clip............What I did was to take out the front post put a small " L " bracket there and put the post back on..........then I removed the holding pins device ( because it was a pain in the as* anyway ) put a small hole in the bottom side of the mirror where the bracket stuck out.......then marked the bracket using the hole in the mirror housing .....took off the mirror ....took off the bracket.....drilled hole in the bracket.....put bracket back on.........put small screw into hole into bracket.......and that mirror is not coming off unless you take out that screw....be sure to tell the mechanic at the dealer about this or THEY will break your mirror......just tape a note on it.........You no longer need that front clip holding the post because it was a problem getting the mirror on and off any way........Mike :thumbup:

lwrydr
11-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Remove mirror. Remove clip assembly. Remove spring from plastic. Bend spring clip in. Reassemble, with a spritz of WD40 on it. As long as it is not broken, it will work.
Bring it over, I will fix it!
or send it to me, I will fix it.
16 bucks is beyond reason, to me. 5, maybe. I fix them a lot, it is a common problem. Joe

Joe, I tried that, did not work....waiting on new part and if that does not work I will try screwing the "L" shaped thing on if I can figure out how to build it.

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Bob, I don't want to hear that...The dealer told me that they (BRP) and made an upgrade to how the mirrors attach and you know they do not tell fibs....:sour:
They still crack... :shocked:
I've got two on my bike that are being replaced under warranty in the Spring...

Gordy
11-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I was having trouble with my mirrors being loose and I found if I removed the top post and put a thin 1/4 inch washer under it that the mirrors go on easier and are a lot tighter

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 09:34 PM
:nopic: :2thumbs:

Gordy
11-29-2014, 09:54 PM
:nopic: :2thumbs:
It's put away for winter 6 inches of snow yesterday.I also made new brackets, the ones with the keyhole, out of aluminium,One broke and I was going to have to wait a week so made my own.Picture of them on here somewhere but don'know if it can be found