PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing

bruiser
11-25-2014, 11:05 PM
I know some of you have been in embarrassing situations. I never had that happen until tonight (well, maybe one time before.) (Ok, ok, maybe several times). I was working on the Spyder changing plugs and wires. I get that done and i want to check it before I close it up. Key on, pre start button pushed, hit start switch. Nothing. Reboot and check kill switch, still nothing. Ok, check over everything to make sure nothing was disconnected. All checks good. Check battery, good, check battery connections, good. Recheck kill kill switch and cycle three times. Still no start :banghead:. What the heck am I missing. Don't need to press brake pedal, it's not an SE. I'm getting a little irritated. Well, a lot irritated. Start from the beginning, recheck all connections. Recheck fuses. Recheck battery. Wife comes out to see how I'm doing. I tell her it won't start. She asks if she can help. I say ok. She tries, nothing. "Did you check... yes I checked that!! Sorry. I'm a little ticked off and tired. So we try again. Still no start. Then she say's "do you need to pull the clutch in?" I say "no it's in neutral". "Well, try anyway". So I humor her. Pull in the clutch, hit start switch. The f*&%ing bike starts. Seriously? I wasted twenty freaking minutes because I forgot that I put the bike in first when I parked it on the ramps.

Clean s@%t off my face. Button up the Spyder.

JerryB
11-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Hi bruiser,

Re: Clean s@%t off my face.

All of us who have spent any time over or under any vehicle has: Been there, done that.

:opps:

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I started wrenching on my first bicycle when I was 10 yrs old ( 1950 ).

Chupaca
11-26-2014, 02:27 AM
happens to the best of us...the time it takes to figure it out may vary...:roflblack::roflblack: but you got her going..:clap::clap:

PW2013STL
11-26-2014, 08:02 AM
I have the "Been There - Done That" T-shirt. If fact I need to get a new one since I have it worn out.

Dan McNally
11-26-2014, 08:08 AM
LOL! I love the "beep beep beep" that tells everyone what an idiot I am when I turn off the key without setting the parking brake on my RT :opps: . . . it is the little things that keep us humble! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 08:17 AM
These little incidents along the way help, to remind us to keep our sense of humor nearby and handy... :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
11-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Gee! Nothing like that's never happened to me! :doorag::joke::joke:

MisterP
11-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Before we moved down here to God's waiting room, we owned a condo with a detached garage in Maryland. I had my Suzuki Boulevard at that time, and hadn't been riding it long. The garages were new, with a smooth concrete floor. See where this is going?

I came back from a ride on a fine, warm spring day. Sunny, with just a hint of humidity to keep the wind chill down. The builder had thoughtfully raised the garage floor a couple of inches above the adjacent driveway to keep the rain out. I carefully approached the garage, and was stopped by the raised floor. A slight twist on the throttle, and the front tire was in the garage.

Flushed with success, I decided I had momentum on my side, so when the rear tire got to the lip, I twisted the throttle again. The rear tire came up onto the garage floor, cold from the winter and now slightly damp from the warm spring day. It began to spin, with the rear of the Suzuki kicking out to the right.

Did I put the bike down? Absolutely not. My forward momentum threw me and the bike into my red rolling Craftsman toolbox, thoughtfully placed inside the garage door to break my fall. Now I was pinned between my toolbox and my leaning Suzuki, with my death grip on the throttle causing a burnout that any alcohol dragster would be proud of. I quickly shut the bike off and rested a moment, savoring the fact that I was trapped in my garage with no one around. The thought of having to explain my predicament to a condo building full of neighbors was an excellent motivator, and with superhuman strength I levered the bike off my increasingly compressed left leg, parked it and closed the garage door.

The skid mark was still there when I sold the garage. I chose not to explain it.

bruiser
11-26-2014, 09:58 AM
I am very familiar with the "damp" garage floor. It affected hangar floors too. Nothing like stepping across the access door and doing the split as soon as your boot hits the wet hangar deck. As far as laying the bike down, yeah, it's embarrassing. Especially when you do it in front of 700 other bikers. :opps:

robtdonna
11-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Hate it when that happens ! :banghead:

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Burnouts are always fun...

...and sometimes expensive! :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHwLNiEUQP4&feature=player_detailpage

SDM
11-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Speaking of doing stupid :cus: in front of a bunch of bikers: A few months ago the hubby (Tobor 9) and I were at Cycle Gear for their bike night. A young man came in on a gorgeously painted/wrapped crotch rocket, set the kickstand, got off and the bike promptly fell over on the right!:gaah: At that point the whole group broke up laughing!:roflblack: The general consensus was that he forgot which side the kickstand was on!:roflblack:

currin20fan
11-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry Bruiser, ole buddy, pal of mine BUT the only thing i can think to say is :shocked::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack:

ARtraveler
11-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Gee! Nothing like that's never happened to me! :doorag::joke::joke:

:agree: me too! :roflblack:

garb55
11-26-2014, 10:25 PM
48 years ago when I was 20 years old
I bought a brand new sports car
went to work and everyone wanted to see it
after work we all went to the parking lot
when I went to start it Nothing
Would not start
I called AAA and the tow truck driver said let me try it
he got in and started my car first try
I asked what he did
He said he put it in neutral
This was my first AUTOMATIC
:yikes:

spyder3
11-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Im sure being a Jersey girl, the wifey didn't rub it in too much.....:yikes:......Lets just say you will NEVER hear the end of it:rolleyes:

bruiser
11-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Sorry Bruiser, ole buddy, pal of mine BUT the only thing i can think to say is :shocked::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack:

One word- Payback.

Oldmanzues
11-29-2014, 10:44 AM
then there was the light plane pilot who landed gear up. After the crash, the pilot was asked why he did not respound to the tower advising him of the retracted gear. His answer, I could not hear the radio because of that loud horn going off.
Oldmanzues