PDA

View Full Version : Mounting suggestions for my TPMS

OverHillAndDale
11-25-2014, 06:30 PM
have ridden with a TPMS since I had an unfortunate experience with a low tire, but I hate the way I have mounted this one. It has to be remove able to be turned on and to replace the battery. I've used Velcro on the right side, and used a right angle with a hole to hold up the antenna side.

In addition to not liking to rely on Velcro at highway speeds, this is plain ugly. RAM says none of their mounts can grip anything this small. 99304

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
11-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Have you tried mounting it in the glove compartment? :dontknow:
I took the foam insulation from mine, and cut a hole in it to fit my garage door opener...
It works great! :thumbup:

EDIT: I see that you've got a 2014. You'll need to either buy the liner from a prior model year, or see if anyone has one that they're not using...

edmarino
11-25-2014, 07:15 PM
I have mine mounted with Velcro for the last 3 years and it has not come off yet only to change battery if needed . I have it on the glove box door ( for lack of a better name for it) between my legs and can push the button to turn it on & off with out moving it. I do take it off if I am riding in the rain.

Chupaca
11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
if you remove the suction cup on a ram mount..mount it to that base you could then use a ram mount arm to attach it to a ram ball...:thumbup:

SPYD3R
11-25-2014, 08:42 PM
some of these TPMS aren't cheap..... :yikes:
http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=TPMS&catalog=

let me ask: CAN YOU USE "RIDE-ON" WITH THESE....??? :chat:
dp

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2014, 02:15 AM
have ridden with a TPMS since I had an unfortunate experience with a low tire, but I hate the way I have mounted this one. It has to be remove able to be turned on and to replace the battery. I've used Velcro on the right side, and used a right angle with a hole to hold up the antenna side.

In addition to not liking to rely on Velcro at highway speeds, this is plain ugly. RAM says none of their mounts can grip anything this small.

As a high holding power substitute for velcro take a look at Scotch Dual Lock fastener. It's kind of a super duty tough version of velcro. Some came with my Edsets headset to hold the module on the helmet and I used about a 1" square piece to hold my Samsung tablet to the cradle after the end latch/catch broke off. I got it from Walmart in the same display as glues and velcro.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-26-2014, 08:15 AM
i keep saying i wish they had built in TPMS for our little :ani29:, i don't know why it is mandatory on cars but not
bikes. i can't speak for others but my life rides on my tires.

jmbiii
11-26-2014, 10:03 AM
A question about the TPMS add-on systems. Most are for a four tire vehicle.
For our rides, how does it know to monitor only three?
Seems as it would always report an error in pressure. ? ? ?

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 10:21 AM
There are units designed for use on trikes...
And some are even set up for Spyders! :thumbup:

OverHillAndDale
11-26-2014, 11:24 AM
You can buy these things for 2, 3, 4 and even 5 tires (3 for the bike and 2 for the trailer). Big Bike Parts makes a TPMS for trikes, but the display shows one in front and two in back (my mind is still sharp enough to look at the front and know it's the back). Someone (don't remember who) makes one where the display is proper for Spyders. I bought the Big Bike Parts model because it is on sale from about $120 as opposed to $200 which is the normal price.

One issue with the Velcro, be it the standard Velcro or the industrial stuff is the the unit is poorly designed for mounting. The top is curved, and of course the curve doesn't match the inside of the Spyder dash. The on switch is also on top, so it has to be accessible. The back bulges around the battery so can't be mounted flat. It comes with a keychain connector but I removed it - the unit is useless if you can't see it.

I'm curious about the RAM mount with the suction cup removed - how did you envision that end attaching to this device?

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Someone (don't remember who) makes one where the display is proper for Spyders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-RT-Limited-Motorcycle-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-/111402382566?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f01974e6&vxp=mtr

bmwlarry
11-26-2014, 12:16 PM
My question is "have you replaced the valve stems before installing sensors?" I have been told to NEVER put screw on sensors on any valve stems other than a straight metal one. The centrifugal forces while at speed will cause failure on 90 degree or angled rubber stems!

ursamajor35126
11-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm curious about the RAM mount with the suction cup removed - how did you envision that end attaching to this device?

Dale my new RTL came with the Zumo GPS... in the GPS box are numerous mounting option parts that are not needed on the RTL. Since you also have a RTL maybe you can "adapt" some of this stuff to mount your monitor. JT's dash mount system with the ram mount "X" mount is working great for my phone.... maybe give him a call and see what he recommends. http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/category&path=63 :firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2014, 02:09 PM
One issue with the Velcro, be it the standard Velcro or the industrial stuff is the the unit is poorly designed for mounting. The top is curved, and of course the curve doesn't match the inside of the Spyder dash. The on switch is also on top, so it has to be accessible. The back bulges around the battery so can't be mounted flat. It comes with a keychain connector but I removed it - the unit is useless if you can't see it.
I wondered if that might be an issue, although that can probably be overcome with some ingenuity by creating a contoured mounting surface to attach to the dash. Or maybe a two sided interface piece, one side to fit the TPMS and the other to fit the dash. Just thinkin' is all.:)

samewok
11-26-2014, 02:27 PM
The one I have is made for the Spyder. It is from HawksHead ( www.tpms.ca ).
It was 219.00 with shipping.
I have it mounted to JT'S dash mount with a small 2 inch extension and 2 1/2 inch base from ram ball.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-26-2014, 02:31 PM
My question is "have you replaced the valve stems before installing sensors?" I have been told to NEVER put screw on sensors on any valve stems other than a straight metal one. The centrifugal forces while at speed will cause failure on 90 degree or angled rubber stems!

i'm not going to get into it, but no it is not true.
i have been working with tpms since 1991.

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 02:33 PM
The one I have is made for the Spyder. It is from HawksHead ( www.tpms.ca (http://www.tpms.ca) ).
It was 219.00 with shipping.
I have it mounted to JT'S dash mount with a small 2 inch extension and 2 1/2 inch base from ram ball.

:nopic: or three?? :2thumbs:

OverHillAndDale
12-01-2014, 01:10 PM
I've read the literature about stainless steel stems, and I will replace mine at my next tire change. That said, I've used these for years without issue. The front tires have 45 degree stems and the lightweight sensors actually flex against the wheels so I doubt there is much stress on the stems.

Since I asked this question, I've tried velcro in 2 or 3 other places without success. My next step will be the industrial strength velcro as suggested.

OverHillAndDale
12-03-2014, 02:10 PM
:yes:In addition to holding sufficiently strong, the unit hangs at the proper angle now (previously it kind of hung down, like it was sad it knew it wasn't viewable).

I mounted it on the lip just in front of the BRP logo.

Bob Denman
12-04-2014, 08:35 AM
:congrats:
What'd you have playing on your IPod?? :D

OverHillAndDale
12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I have a 16 GB iPod Nano in my trunk loaded with music when music was born (plus a few other items so people will call me eclectic :hun:).
- Rock from the late sixties through early eighties (that is 80% of my collection), including ALL of the Beatles, Eagles, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, CCR, most of ELO and a few others)
- Some soft rock ie. James Taylor, Janis Ian, Carole King, Moody Blues
- A bit of classic such as Vivaldi
- A smidgen of country, primarily Emma Lou Harris
- Some Christian praise
- A few of high-energy motorcycle riding tunes

Bob Denman
12-04-2014, 08:57 AM
...Only an eight-Gig here. :opps:
But it holds some of the noisiest stuff that isn't fit for human consumption... :D
Late-Sixties through Early-Eighties Heavy Metal...

It keeps the wax from collecting in my ears! :roflblack: