PDA

View Full Version : F3 S Demo ride

Retired 1
11-25-2014, 01:23 AM
Just have to express how much fun I had at the demo event held at Temecula Motorsports last Thursday.
First off I have never been on a spyder. I have 30+ years on M/C though and don't remember ever smiling as much after a 30 min. ride.
I tested the RT-Limited first, what a let down for me. I have wanted one for a while now, but after the ride I said no way. The thing made me feel like I was being tossed from side to side, way to much. Almost walked away seriously depressed, let down. But I talked to the guys running the demo and they said, ride the F3 S you won't regret it. I did ride the F3 S and they were right, the thing rode great. I felt like a young man again, running hard into the corners and looking forward to the next one. I now get why so many of you ride this things.
What a blast, I am grinning from ear to ear as I write this. Now if they could get the RT to handle that way I would get one asap.
I wonder why the RT rode so badly. There was only one RT to ride so I couldn't compare it to another RT. I thought that the RT-Limited would have been the most luxurious ride of all the spyders.
Maybe I'll just get a F3 S and add bags.
How do you guys feel the ride of the F3 S compared to the spyders you currently own?
Thanks, (1st post)

den1953
11-25-2014, 06:48 AM
I have demo ridden 3 Spyders, a 2009 gs, a 2013 RT-S and a 2014 RT-S. While the RT models represents a major improvement in both comfort and luggage carrying capacity there was always the cramped legroom and a bit of that body-roll understeer thing going on. The 1330 ACE six speed was indeed a big improvement from the 2013 to the 2014 though. I think with the F3 having the legroom and a lower seat height will solve both issues and still will have that great engine and transmission combo. My dealer should be getting his first F3(s) in December which is pretty soon. Winter weather might put a damper on any demo riding though but I'm still looking forward to riding one.

Bob Denman
11-25-2014, 08:31 AM
:welcome: It sounds as if the "hook has been set"... :D :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
11-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Just have to express how much fun I had at the demo event held at Temecula Motorsports last Thursday.
First off I have never been on a spyder. I have 30+ years on M/C though and don't remember ever smiling as much after a 30 min. ride.
I tested the RT-Limited first, what a let down for me. I have wanted one for a while now, but after the ride I said no way. The thing made me feel like I was being tossed from side to side, way to much. Almost walked away seriously depressed, let down. But I talked to the guys running the demo and they said, ride the F3 S you won't regret it. I did ride the F3 S and they were right, the thing rode great. I felt like a young man again, running hard into the corners and looking forward to the next one. I now get why so many of you ride this things.
What a blast, I am grinning from ear to ear as I write this. Now if they could get the RT to handle that way I would get one asap.
I wonder why the RT rode so badly. There was only one RT to ride so I couldn't compare it to another RT. I thought that the RT-Limited would have been the most luxurious ride of all the spyders.
How do you guys feel the ride of the F3 S compared to the spyders you currently own?
Thanks, (1st post)

:welcome: With so much experience on 2 wheels, the Spyder takes some getting used to. I have an RTS and haven't ridden the F3 yet. But I don't have the problem you describe with the RT. It may be a matter of riding technique that the F3 is more "forgiving" on.

So which F3 color did you order?

vondalyn
11-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks, (1st post)

What you experienced on the RT is the same that a lot of us have experienced on our Spyders. It handles differently and feels like it's going to throw you off. Your "normal" motorcycle grip becomes a "death grip" on the Spyder and makes it feel squirrely. There is a sticky post in the General Discussions forum that gives tips to new Spyder owners. People coming from cars have the easiest time getting used to the Spyder, people coming from motorcycles will have a learning curve where they have to get used to how the Spyder feels vs a motorcycle. Some people adapt quicker than others. My dealership told me that most people adjust after about 500 miles. It took me about 2000 (I will admit that I put those 2000 on in the first 2 weeks, so maybe it's a time thing too).

I haven't yet ridden the F3 yet, but I get the impression from others that it's the "most like a motorcyle". So that would explain why you liked the feel of that model vs the RT. If the RT fits your lifestyle and what you want it for (long distance touring?), then go for it and know that you will get used to the handling and most likely come to love it. I got my first Spyder (an RT Limited) in 2012 after many years and miles on motorcycles and once I got used to it you could never get me to go back to 2 wheels. There are way too many positives for me. I'm selling my RTL for an F3 because I'm not retired yet, and don't have the time to do much touring. Most of my riding is in the mountains and after work, so the full bags etc just doesn't really fit all the miles I'm putting on trying to have fun. I've ridden all of the Spyder models except the F3, yet that's the one I'm moving to without even a test drive -- yikes!

BikerDoc
11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
The RS, ST , and RT are all much less like a motorcycle than the F3. with the earlier generation bikes - the more two wheel experience you have the greater the "unlearning curve". I have ridden every model Spyder that BRP makes and now have over 100,000 miles cumulatively. I simply find that each model requires a different skill set to find your comfort zone. One isn't necessarily better or worse than the other.. The key is finding the unit that fits you. I have seen a lot of folks over the years change the minds on a spyder after their second or third test ride on a specific model. One time is not enough to form a solid opinion on something so different.

hawkiii
11-25-2014, 10:43 AM
First off, welcome to SpyderLovers. Sorry I don't have an opinion just yet. My demo ride is this Friday and I can't wait. I am already getting my head around selling my 2008 GS. I never thought I would do that. I love this thing and have tricked it out to my liking, but this F3 is really wearing on me. I just hope my ride puts me over the top. I want to love this thing, just got to ride one first. I'll be back to let you know in a few days.

Chupaca
11-25-2014, 11:47 AM
the all important test ryde... Glad you stayed and tried other models. Though not for me the F3 is a great machine in the line up and you can make it yours with some mods...:2thumbs: :clap:

GunDoctor
11-28-2014, 12:50 PM
I was fortunate enough to test ryde the F3 a few weeks ago, months AFTER I ordered it. My girlfriend has the RSS and I only rode it from the dealer to home (surprise Birthday present) so I understand your take on the handling issue. I've been riding since I was 9, so for the past 50 years I have been on just enough two wheelers to know the Spyder IS different. The F3 on the other hand is more fun than anything I have ever rode. I have a 2003 Harley Deuce and with progressive neuropathy I feel best to make the switch sooner than later. The F3 is a game changer. BRP has a long road ahead to keep up with the demand I think.

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I have a 2003 Harley Deuce and with progressive neuropathy I feel best to make the switch sooner than later. .
:shocked: Is it Diabetes-related? :dontknow:

GunDoctor
11-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes Sir

ARtraveler
11-28-2014, 01:17 PM
What you experienced on the RT is the same that a lot of us have experienced on our Spyders. It handles differently and feels like it's going to throw you off. Your "normal" motorcycle grip becomes a "death grip" on the Spyder and makes it feel squirrely. There is a sticky post in the General Discussions forum that gives tips to new Spyder owners. People coming from cars have the easiest time getting used to the Spyder, people coming from motorcycles will have a learning curve where they have to get used to how the Spyder feels vs a motorcycle. Some people adapt quicker than others. My dealership told me that most people adjust after about 500 miles. It took me about 2000 (I will admit that I put those 2000 on in the first 2 weeks, so maybe it's a time thing too).

I haven't yet ridden the F3 yet, but I get the impression from others that it's the "most like a motorcyle". So that would explain why you liked the feel of that model vs the RT. If the RT fits your lifestyle and what you want it for (long distance touring?), then go for it and know that you will get used to the handling and most likely come to love it. I got my first Spyder (an RT Limited) in 2012 after many years and miles on motorcycles and once I got used to it you could never get me to go back to 2 wheels. There are way too many positives for me. I'm selling my RTL for an F3 because I'm not retired yet, and don't have the time to do much touring. Most of my riding is in the mountains and after work, so the full bags etc just doesn't really fit all the miles I'm putting on trying to have fun. I've ridden all of the Spyder models except the F3, yet that's the one I'm moving to without even a test drive -- yikes!

:agree: Very good input about the RT. The RT is so responsive that it does not take much input to make it go where you want. Over controlling will make the RT seem like a vehicle with a mind of its own. There is a learning curve. The more you have ridden two wheels, the longer it usually takes to get riding the :spyder2:

It took me about 1500 miles on my first (2008). That was less than a week of driving though.

SpyderRx
11-28-2014, 06:43 PM
I test rode the F3 today and I was impressed. Seating position was great. The stock seat was very comfortable I thought. Got to ride about 30 minutes. I had been trying to convince myself to buy a discounted 14 ST but the test ride sealed my fate. f3-S it is for me. All i needed was a windshield and a different set of handlebars to bring them a little closer to me. I love it!

Bob Denman
11-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Yes Sir
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that...
(50 years as a Type I here...)
Diabetes is an "interesting" condition.
If you do what the Doctors say; you'll probably be able to minimize most of the long term effects...
I never did, and I'm regretting it now... :gaah:
So I'll say it... this is from someone who should have known better,

Monitor your blood glucose levels, and keep them under control as best you can...
For 35 years; I was what they generously referred to, as "Non-compliant" :opps:
I'm now the Poster Child for all of the longterm results...
Neuropathy?
Protect your lower extremities. Good boots that offer up a lot of support.
(I lost all of the strength in both ankles... I couldn't upshift the typical motorcycle tranny, unless it had a heel/toes shifter anymore. The SE 6 and 6 setups have brought me back to the street) :thumbup:
Vision?
Detached retina in my left eye, and enough laser treatments in both, that they say that they simply can't do any more of it...
If your eyes are still good; GREAT! Please take care of them; once they're gone, there's no going back!
Life is full of obstacles.
It's not if we beat them; it's how we confront them, that is a true measure of our spirit! :2thumbs:

GunDoctor
11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Type II for 15 years. On a new path now and following a book called Diabetes Protocol. I'm 10 days into a 19 kidney and liver detox. I have never been on insulin. Check the book out when you have time on the Internet, should find a 30 minute video on it which explains this latest discovery. Drug companies don't want cures, just keep trying to pump Meds into us. They offer $$ rewards to Doctors to keep patients on Meds. I'm done with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GunDoctor
11-28-2014, 07:23 PM
SpyderRX. Sounds like we all have been bit by this F3 Spyder. Waiting on mine since September and every review I read makes the wait even longer. Congrats..

SpyderRx
11-28-2014, 11:29 PM
SpyderRX. Sounds like we all have been bit by this F3 Spyder. Waiting on mine since September and every review I read makes the wait even longer. Congrats..

I agree! Now I have to decide pure magnesium or black

GunDoctor
11-29-2014, 12:23 AM
I went with black/magnesium

daveinva
11-29-2014, 10:52 AM
I *still* don't know when the heck my local dealers are getting any F3's for demo... grrrrrrrr. :mad:

den1953
11-29-2014, 11:42 AM
My dealer is saying sometime in December. Other than that I think the F3 could really be a "Game Changer" for both new Spyder customers and existing ones. I think we will be seeing more Can Ams on the road as a result.

GunDoctor
11-29-2014, 12:18 PM
December is a lot better than Apr/May that I was told. Does anyone really know?? Would love some communication from the horses mouth.

SpyderRx
11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
My dealer said the latest he heard was mid-January

capt.jim
11-30-2014, 12:15 AM
My dealer got their demo last week, a white base F3 - SE6. They let me have it today for a 45 minute ride, I took the wife along as she is the CFO. My first response when I got back was "Just Fantastic", and it was. My wife said it felt very planted like it had claws in the road.
I wouldn't test ride one if I wasn't in the market for a new one somewhat, the torque band is very strong and wide and the power is addicting, it will really push you back in the seat.
The Demo's are going to sell a lot of these for BRP. This one is going to grab a lot more of the 2 wheeler crowd if their even remotely interested.
I could feel my wife sliding back every time I twisted the throttle, hanging on to me like never before. The new gearing gets it going in a hurry.
The handling was great also for a stocker, much better than my ST when new, bad ball joints aside. In the corners the nanny is somewhere in the middle between my old GS and ST, but the delivery and interruption in the corners is much smoother now. You can feel it activate but it doesn't stumble like before, just kind of slows you down a bit.
I am really excited to think of what will be coming for this model and can't quit smiling thinking of todays ride, fantastic!

den1953
11-30-2014, 06:15 AM
It's going to be a busy month for me with doctor visits and visits to see my newborn grandson. I'm having arthroscopic surgery on my left knee on December 11th to repair a torn meniscus followed by 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy sessions. Christmas & New Years fits in there somewhere with an eye doctor visit on December 30th. I'm hoping my dealer gets one in before the 11th because doing the math it will be mid to late January before my knee is healed up enough to throw a leg over a new bike. My legs, particularly the knees are why I'm looking at going from two wheel motorcycles to three wheels.

GunDoctor
11-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Been there done that with the Rt knee several years back. Took me a year to feel normal. Hope you're up in around soon.