PDA

View Full Version : Biker Killed in My Area Yesterday

cisaacs
10-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I heard this morning from some friend with the local EMS service that a biker was stuck head on by a car yesterday evening. From what I can gather from everyone he was stuck by a car that had been weaving across the centerline for miles and while in a straight away he crossed the centerline and stuck a motorcyle headon. The rider was thrown onto the road and then stuck by another car. The witness said it happened so quick noone had time to react befor ethe impact. Our thoughts go out to the family. No info has been released yet about the driver who caused the accident so we will have to wait to see if he was impared by anything.

Everyone hears about accidents and deaths on bikes but it really hits home and makes me think more when it happens right up the road. Everyone be safe out there.

Roaddog2
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
:pray:

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
:pray:

That's what concerns me most; someone crossing the center line. And, on all the country roads, I travel, I am a very concerned Spyder rider.

bone crusher
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
This is a horrible scenario that happens all too much...

Perhaps it's a good idea to re-visit the jackets with the 'air pockets' built in...

If you are thrown from your bike, air bag protection will help with impact...if you are then struck by another vehicle, who knows what could happen...however, for optimal protection, it's hard to argue against jacket airbags.

I don't have one of these but I'm seriously considering it...there should be no shortage of money for safety equipment...whenever you come off your bike without your intent, it can be harmful or deadly...

There is a thread here about one called the Pharoah and it's about $400.00...yeah, it's expensive, but what is your life worth?

I think I'm going to get one...you never know...but it's always better to be prepared...

As a crash reconstructionist, I can agree with all of us on this board that armor is good for reducing superficial injuries and for absorbing some impact, but it pales in comparison with air protection...

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 10:57 AM
This is a horrible scenario that happens all too much...

Perhaps it's a good idea to re-visit the jackets with the 'air pockets' built in...

If you are thrown from your bike, air bag protection will help with impact...if you are then struck by another vehicle, who knows what could happen...however, for optimal protection, it's hard to argue against jacket airbags.

I don't have one of these but I'm seriously considering it...there should be no shortage of money for safety equipment...whenever you come off your bike without your intent, it can be harmful or deadly...

There is a thread here about one called the Pharoah and it's about $400.00...yeah, it's expensive, but what is your life worth?

I think I'm going to get one...you never know...but it's always better to be prepared...

As a crash reconstructionist, I can agree with all of us on this board that armor is good for reducing superficial injuries and for absorbing some impact, but it pales in comparison with air protection...

Air Pocket Jackets? I did not know something like that existed. Sounds like a good idea. Good post! :thumbup:

Director
10-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Air Pocket Jackets? I did not know something like that existed. Sounds like a good idea. Good post! :thumbup:

Here is a link to one of these products:

http://www.impactjackets.com/

I have never owned one, but they look like a good idea.

Bruce

bone crusher
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Please hold on this topic...we're working on getting a discount for spyderlovers.com board members...

This product is awesome...I'm getting one...but something is in the works...

cisaacs
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Got the paper a few minutes agoand it has the story on the front page. From what is says the gentleman on the bike was on a Goldwing with a small trailer and traveling from Ohio throught our area. He was thrown from the bike and pinned under the front tire of another vehicle. I just rode by where the accident happened on my way to a friends house and it sure was creepy driding through all the painted markings on the road.

bone crusher
10-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Horrible...

There's only so much we can do to stay safe on a bike...

However, whatever we can do, we should...

I'm excited to have Lamonster speak with the owner of impactjackets and get something going here so more of us can do the most we can to stay safe!

Motza also spoke with the owner...he's quite game to offer a discount to us spyderlovers!!

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I know one of the things I think about a lot is allowing as much space between me and other folks on the road.

$400 for a jacket like has been mentioned isn't bad, if it works. I'm sure my next Spyder $$$'s wil be for the Triple Play system by No Magic Neon. My Wife isn't too keen on the stock lights on the Spyder. And, she mentioned this to me after following me several miles to the house last evening in her Mazda.

bone crusher
10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Spoke with Lamonster...he'll call the company tomorrow to perhaps work something out...

As far as the triple play goes, is that the best lighting option?...I know there are a few...is that one the general consensus best from everyone here?

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Spoke with Lamonster...he'll call the company tomorrow to perhaps work something out...

As far as the triple play goes, is that the best lighting option?...I know there are a few...is that one the general consensus best from everyone here?

It's a good option! Check out the video comparison..

http://www.nomagicneon.com/spyderturnsignals.html

bjt
10-23-2008, 07:27 PM

I used to have the Evoluzione brakelight conversion kit and I changed them out for the Triple Plays. I like having the super bright LED lights for my turn signals. Also, the turn signals also function as brake lights. They are a tremendous upgrade for rear visability. The Evoluzione kit used the stock bulbs but changed the way the lights operated to attract attention.

This thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=36702&postcount=1) has a few YouTube videos comparing the Triple Play to the stock lights and the Evoluzione kit. They are the third and fourth videos in that post.

Smylinacha
10-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Very sad! We lost alot of bikers in CT this summer - more than usual and one wasn't too far from us either. We went out the day after it happened and saw all the white stuff they put on the road after an accident. I felt so bad. Remember all the gear all the time and drive defensively and pay attention.

bone crusher
10-23-2008, 07:56 PM
To all the pros out there...difficulty level of installing triple play?

bjt
10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
To all the pros out there...difficulty level of installing triple play?

From 1 being super easy and 10 being super hard, I would give it a 3. Follow the directions and its no problem. The wiring is basically plug and play and you have to replace the turn signal bulbs with the LED "Genesis puck". Takes about 45 - 60 minutes for the average install I would guess. Less time for a professional Spyder afficionado / mechanic and more time for someone who's never taken a panel off of their Spyder before.

jedd
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Air bag coat:2thumbs: