PDA

View Full Version : Break Leak??

AppleSpyder
11-23-2014, 03:45 PM
I had my Spyder in the garage today and as I was backing out I noticed a quarter size spot of clear amber liquid on the floor. It is not oil. I am assuming it is brake fluid? (I looked at the brake fluid and it matches the color and consistency) I looked under my Spyder and there were a few small drops of liquid under the front right side almost directly across from the right front wheel "axle" on the black housing. (I don't know what it's called but looks like a black covering to protect the underside of the spyder.) After a couple hours I went out and looked again but there are no drips on the ground and no drops collecting on the black box. I started it up and let it run for a bit and also stepped on the brakes a few times but there are no drips now. I looked through the posts for brake leaks but nothing addressed this issue. All the brake leaks had to deal with either the filler caps leaking or leaks by the back tire. My brake fluid level is at max (cold engine).

Could this be break fluid up in the front? Could this be a onetime fluke and I don't need to worry about it? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, Cindy

coz
11-23-2014, 04:13 PM
could be some spyder vomit coming from the canister vent hose, that is in that same area.:barf:

Chupaca
11-23-2014, 04:40 PM
you would have to pull some panels and see if your can trace the leak. If your level is holding may not be brake fluid. Was there any recent oil changes or other work done that could have left some residue. Liquids like to travel strange and wonderous paths. Keep an eye on it or if more comfortable have it checked out...:thumbup:

AppleSpyder
11-23-2014, 06:39 PM
No recent work done on it, so that's not it. Thanks for the thought though. I'll be taking it in, it did have a few more drops again now so something is going on.:(

AppleSpyder
11-23-2014, 06:43 PM
could be some spyder vomit coming from the canister vent hose, that is in that same area.:barf:

Major yuck! too funny ....but I like the description. Nope that's not it, checked that too. Thanks

Trbayth
11-23-2014, 07:58 PM
I have the same thing. Turns out that it's coolant, not brake fluid.

Get a cheap aluminum casserole pan at the supermarket and put it under the right front of the bike to collect the drips. If they're orange tinted, they're coolant.

Seems to be a common problem. Could be a cracked coolant tank, just a loose lower radiator hose clamp, or leaking water pump seals. Those are the causes I've seen listed in several other threads here.

Trb--

AppleSpyder
11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I have the same thing. Turns out that it's coolant, not brake fluid.

Get a cheap aluminum casserole pan at the supermarket and put it under the right front of the bike to collect the drips. If they're orange tinted, they're coolant.

Seems to be a common problem. Could be a cracked coolant tank, just a loose lower radiator hose clamp, or leaking water pump seals. Those are the causes I've seen listed in several other threads here.

Trb--

Thank you very much. I will do that.

Tazzel
11-24-2014, 11:30 AM
If it does not turn out to be coolant and is brake fluid, I had the same problem with my 2012 RS SE5. I would get about a quarter size puddle once in a while but mainly I had to keep adding brake fluid to the front brake reservoir. at my 9200 service I complained again about my concerns. Dealer was able to trace it back to the brake reservoir leaking and they replace the it under warranty. No problem since.

Bob Denman
11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
I believe that they DID switch over to some sort of Orange Anti-Freeze. Check the connections and fittings; you probably have one that is a little bit loose. :thumbup: