PDA

View Full Version : Spyder lift/carrier for motorhome.

draboo
11-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Even tho we are Spyder-less, I thought I d post this for those of you who are traveling with a motorhome and are interested in taking your Spyder along without trailering it. You can still tow a vehicle with this lift installed. We are most likely be snagging an Indian Scout this Feb and are looking at lifts for our coach. I m surprised that a company makes a Spyder-specific carrier! :)

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/canam-spyder/

Bob Denman
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM
:shocked: That's a whole lot of weight, sitting up pretty high...
Thanks for posting this! :thumbup:
Do you see any room for improvement needed, on the support structures? :dontknow:

spydaman60
11-23-2014, 01:40 PM
nice looking rv and lift. think our 23' would look kinda funny with the spyder on the back. might even lift the front wheels off the ground. :roflblack:

JayBros
11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
nice looking rv and lift. think our 23' would look kinda funny with the spyder on the back. might even lift the front wheels off the ground. :roflblack:

Would have mortgage the homestead to buy the rig for the lift. Might not even be enough dough left for the Spyder!

PrairieSpyder
11-23-2014, 04:09 PM
How much does this cost?

Big Arm
11-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Do you see any room for improvement needed, on the support structures? :dontknow:

Not too sure I'd be putting a lot of trust in those 1/4" wing nuts holding the front chocks in place.

Chupaca
11-23-2014, 04:44 PM
looks like a nice set up. Would have to see a it more feed back but would help many travelers out...thanks.!! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Not too sure I'd be putting a lot of trust in those 1/4" wing nuts holding the front chocks in place.
:agree: Looking at the rear wheel; I'm thinking a honkin' big tie-down, to nail it securely to that beam! :thumbup:

ahh-cool
11-23-2014, 08:44 PM
I think the problem is the foot pound weight.
A 2 wheeler sits closer to the back of the coach.
The Spyder will sit further away.
Most coaches of that size have a 10,000 pound hitch
which means you can only put 1,000 pound on it. 10% rule.
I believe the Spyder is 1,200 pounds and would have to hang out about 2 feet.
which would make it about 2,400 pounds of weight on the hitch.
There is a better idea it's called a swivel wheel trailer
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
Stefan

jcthorne
11-24-2014, 08:48 AM
If you look closely at the pics of the lift, it is not mounted to the hitch. It goes under the rear of the coach to the frame. Still, 1200lbs hung 4ft aft of the frame is a BIG moment arm load applied to the frame.

Also only diesel pusher motorhomes have 10k hitches. Gas engine motorhomes on the Ford F53 chassis (only one still in production) are limited to 5000lbs or the difference between GCVWR and Actual vehicle weight, whichever is less.

ahh-cool
11-24-2014, 01:26 PM
limited to 5000lbs or the difference between GCVWR and Actual vehicle weight, whichever is less.

I didn't think the hitch capacity had anything to do with the gross weight of the coach.
I have a question about this,
when you figure the gross weight of the coach are you including the weight of the car or just the tongue weight?
Stefan

jcthorne
11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I didn't think the hitch capacity had anything to do with the gross weight of the coach.
I have a question about this,
when you figure the gross weight of the coach are you including the weight of the car or just the tongue weight?
Stefan

The weight you can tow is the lesser of the hitch rating (5000lbs) or the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating, less the actual weight of the coach. Some coaches are very close (or over) the Gross Vehicle Weight limit and thus when subtracted from the GCVWR will leave less than 5000lbs towing capacity. These weight ratings are on a tag, near the driver. Usually under the drivers window or in the door frame if there is a drivers door.

The combined weight is the total loaded weight moving down the road. Coach, hitch, water, people, trailer, car etc. This cannot exceed the GCVWR.

lyonsden
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
I like this idea better. Probably less expensive too.
http://tandem-tow.com/index.html

SAR41
11-24-2014, 04:06 PM
I looked into all these options a while back. I have a Tiffin Allegro Bus, the one like the Phateon shown on the Hydralift site. The main problem I had was like mentioned, the towing capacity gets lowered to 5000#'s. Both vehicle I tow go over the 5000 mark, one at 6500 and other 7500. I tow my Lexus LX470 when we just need a vehicle, but depends on where we are going I want to bring either my Can Am Commander or now the Spyder with us and still have a vehicle for normal use. So I have a F250 Ford Pickup. Installed the http://www.rampagelift.com/ into the truck. I already have it setup with a custom ramp system to hold the Commander and now with the lift I can take the Spyder along instead. The wife tried to tell me that I can't always take my toys along with me, I said BS, I'll figure out a way! And I did!!:clap:

Dragonrider
11-24-2014, 04:54 PM
On a different note, I want to see what the Spyder looks like after a couple of hundred miles in a rain storm.... I know what the back of my RT looks like on a wet street, and ............