PDA

View Full Version : GPS or VZ Navigator?

GunDoctor
11-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Ordered the F3 totally stock ( because of accessory prices) but am considering the GPS. I use my Smartphone Navigator app now for those needs. Can anyone offer their opinion on why I should go for BRP GPS or is the Smartphone just as good? I get turn by turn through my Bluetooth now. Just curious what I'm missing to substantiate dropping most likely another 1,000 + on it.

Bob Denman
11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
If I were you; I wouldn't change what's been working so well... :thumbup:

robtdonna
11-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I see no reason to spend a grand and clutter the handlebars when Bluetooth turn by turn is working ! Besides think of how many farkles $1000 will buy :yes:

jaherbst
11-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Ordered the F3 totally stock ( because of accessory prices) but am considering the GPS. I use my Smartphone Navigator app now for those needs. Can anyone offer their opinion on why I should go for BRP GPS or is the Smartphone just as good? I get turn by turn through my Bluetooth now. Just curious what I'm missing to substantiate dropping most likely another 1,000 + on it.

Do Not Get the 660--Get the 665 if you get a GPS. You get XM, Traffic and reroute, Real time Weather as you ride i.e.. rain showers and thunderstorms, plus many other features the 660 doe not have. Last I checked you could get them online for $500-600. They are phasing in the new Garmin 590. To be standard on the new RT Limited shortly.

That having been said if you have a iPhone 6 plus or large Samsung you could get at least a readable screen while riding, XM radio and Weather without the Garmin 665.

Jack

Highwayman2013
11-23-2014, 01:39 PM
The only problem I have with the smartphone navigation is when you get into rural areas and lose signal. I am trying out the Tom Tom Rider and so far I like it. $400 and it has a winding route feature. Not enough use to say it is more accurate than the Garmin 660, but the 660 has made far to many mistakes to warrant the cost.

BikerDoc
11-23-2014, 01:49 PM
I am going with the smartphone on my F3.. I have found the navigation app on my smartphone to be vastly superior to the garmin gps that I have on my RTL. with Verizon I very seldom have any problem maintaining a signal even in remote areas

spyder3
11-23-2014, 02:04 PM
I had the 660 & then the 665 on my spyder and bluetoothed into my helmet. Since, I have been using the iPhone on the new wheels and find the clarity & sound much louder and clearer in my helmet whether it be xm, nav directions or music loaded onto iPhone. Not sure why, but like it.

The iPhone 6 plus is probably in my future as to not clutter the cockpit with devices. Whatever works best for ya!

MEP
11-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority but I prefer a dedicated GPS unit, and I have been a Garmin fan since the very early days. I'm just not willing to put my navigational needs in the hands of wireless carriers...the coverage in some areas is too spotty for my liking.

markyodo
11-23-2014, 04:04 PM
The only problem I have with the smartphone navigation is when you get into rural areas and lose signal. I am trying out the Tom Tom Rider and so far I like it. $400 and it has a winding route feature. Not enough use to say it is more accurate than the Garmin 660, but the 660 has made far to many mistakes to warrant the cost.

Navigon or TomTom apps will give you the same functionality as a Garmin or TomTom unit and you won't need a data connection once you have the maps downloaded.

Art Mann
11-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Here are a few comments from a new Spyder RT-S Ryder. I have used both a Samsung Galaxy IIIS and a Garmin Nuvi XXX mounted in the center of the handlebars and both work well for audio directions with a Bluetooth headset. The screen on the smartphone washes out completely in direct sunshine and the Nuvi nearly so. From that perspective I would recommend one of the Garmin motorcycle units which are a lot brighter. I personally like the user interface and navigation features of Google Maps better than Garmin products. Google Maps has one huge problem that has already been mentioned. If you try to create a new route while out of 3G/4G range, you simply won't be able to do it because the maps and route information are downloaded when you create a route. A current route is available without cell service but once you change it you can't get it back or create another route without 3G/4G. In this situation, I use a paid app that runs on Google devices and turns your smartphone or tablet into a stand alone GPS. Its called Copilot. With this app, you download maps of the entire USA, Canada and some other countries (assuming you have the spare memory). It works a lot like a Garmin GPS but the user interface is not as good as the Google one, in my opinion.

Edit: Just reading the original title, there was a mention of VZ Navigator. That is a Verizon add-on product. In my opinion, it is inferior to what you can get free using Google maps. I would definitely not spend extra for access to that product.

GunDoctor
11-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. Big issue for me is powering up a GPS unit to the F3. I don't get along with electrical.

GunDoctor
11-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Just downloaded Copilot, thanks. Will try that for now.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Just downloaded Copilot, thanks. Will try that for now.
Take a look at Sygic Navigation app, http://www.sygic.com/en. When I bought mine last year I looked at Copilot and decided that Sygic was a whole lot more capable, especially in terms of customization. It uses TomTom maps and offers a full functioning trial period. I run it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Here's my install: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64013-Using-a-non-BRP-GPS-Part-1

GunDoctor
11-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Downloaded that one also. Thanks

Bob Denman
11-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority but I prefer a dedicated GPS unit, and I have been a Garmin fan since the very early days. I'm just not willing to put my navigational needs in the hands of wireless carriers...the coverage in some areas is too spotty for my liking.
:agree: :2thumbs:
Where I live; there's tons of areas without wireless coverage. :shocked:

Big F
11-24-2014, 10:14 AM

My two cents says stay with your smart phone!!
BIG F

Gumbeau
11-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Do Not Get the 660--Get the 665 if you get a GPS. You get XM, Traffic and reroute, Real time Weather as you ride i.e.. rain showers and thunderstorms, plus many other features the 660 doe not have. Last I checked you could get them online for $500-600. They are phasing in the new Garmin 590. To be standard on the new RT Limited shortly.

That having been said if you have a iPhone 6 plus or large Samsung you could get at least a readable screen while riding, XM radio and Weather without the Garmin 665.

Jack

i have the 660 "built in" on my RTL. Are they interchangeable? Can I replace the 660 with the 665 directly?

jaherbst
11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
i have the 660 "built in" on my RTL. Are they interchangeable? Can I replace the 660 with the 665 directly?

Short answer no, But if you change the GPS harness Yes. Another way that I did it was to change the cradle face (part with the pins). Works great.
Seven small screws on the back and unplug the two small boards. Plug in the boards and replace the seven small screws. New 665 harness on amazon for $50. You will need the new cradle only.

You will then get XM, WX, traffic and rerouting along with full time WX depicted on your GPS screen. You will need the XM 40 antennae which comes with the 665 and a subscription with XM/Sirius

Jack

ahh-cool
11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
I have the 660. for me it is hard to see even with a hood on it99258

ahh-cool
11-24-2014, 01:57 PM
You will then get XM, WX, traffic and rerouting along with full time WX depicted on your GPS screen. You will need the XM 40 antennae which comes with the 665 and a subscription with XM/Sirius
Jack

Jack how much does xm cost and is it a separate subscription for the weather and traffic?

Bob Denman
11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I have the 660. for me it is hard to see even with a hood on it99258
They're all hard to see... :banghead:

Fat Crip
11-24-2014, 02:52 PM
I've been using an iPhone 5 for SatNav with Maps originally, then Co
pilot and now TomTom. All work, but Maps is limited by 3G/4G coverage whereas dedicated apps hold the full maps. Co-Pilot was great, but a few times too many it crashed, so I now use TomTom and it's now on an iPhone 6.

The other issue, and it's huge, is power drain! To solve this I've fitted a double USB socket on the left speaker grill and a 12v socket on the right. The USB has an isolator switch as shorting it with rain could kill it. Both work great and the 12v, being directly connected to the battery relay terminals also gives me a way to quickly plug my Optimate battery tender in.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2014, 03:35 PM
They're all hard to see... :banghead:
Another reason why I like my Samsung tablet as a GPS. The near vertical screen is fairly easy to read all the time except when the sun is directly behind me!

ahh-cool
11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
for those of you using a tablet where do you put it

jaherbst
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Jack how much does xm cost and is it a separate subscription for the weather and traffic?

Check with them. I have multiple accounts and pay a discounted price.

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Look at the photos in post #21. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64013-Using-a-non-BRP-GPS-Part-1

JT's mount is worth looking at. Fasten RAM mounts to it to hold the tablet cradle.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2014, 09:02 PM
I read on a forum that guys can finagle all kinds of discounts, some by quitting and signing up again, or simply threatening to quit. As in all such subscriptions if you simply accept the signup and/or renewal terms they send you, they win and you lose.

ahh-cool
11-26-2014, 08:33 AM
I read on a forum that guys can finagle all kinds of discounts, some by quitting and signing up again, or simply threatening to quit. As in all such subscriptions if you simply accept the signup and/or renewal terms they send you, they win and you lose.

thanks, not sure if I need it.
does the XM work through the Spyder radio?

Bob Denman
11-26-2014, 08:52 AM
It can... if you have the module installed. :D
For my money; I bought an Onyx XM receiver, and used the MP3 cable to tie it into the radio system.
It gets treated just like an MP3 player (NOT an IPod).
for $50; rather than $400... I can climb out of the saddle to change the station! :thumbup:

WA5VHU
11-26-2014, 01:16 PM

I also use a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with the Sygic Navigation app. There is a little learning curve with the Sygic app as it does not use the same menu structure as a typical GPS although I wish they would.

I use the RAM X-Grip mounts, the small one for my phone on the handlebar and the larger one for the tablet up on the dash. To block the sun I use a Glare Stomper http://www.glarestomper.com (http://www.glarestomper.com/) for the tablet. So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power. To hold all this stuff in place I use JT’s dash mount bracket and RAM Mounts with the 1” balls and assorted length arms.

This is the best picture I have of my setup. By putting the tablet (or a GPS) up high I don’t lose peripheral vision of the road when I look at the map on the tablet and it does not block my view of the road. When I had a temporary GPS mounted in the OEM position it seemed like I might just as well been checking my fly when I looked down to see the map. I lost all vision of the road ahead.

Have fun!
Charles

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2014, 02:20 PM
So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power.
You're right about it being a power hog. I tried using a USB extension between the USB power adapter and the tablet cable. Didn't work adequately. Finally moved things around so the USB power adapter was close enough to the tablet to use only a Samsung USB cable between the tablet and power adapter. Apparently the USB spec limits the adapter power output to 2.1 amps and the tablet sucks it all up. No margin for cable voltage loss at all. I have a 12 volt power plug under the right side service panel in the frunk wired directly to the battery boost posts, w/ fuse of course.

vondalyn
11-26-2014, 04:17 PM
With my RT limited, I have a zumo 660. it works for me, I have no complaints. When I did the build options for the F3, it specifically mentions the Zumo 590. After poking around on Amazon and some other sites, I feel ok about getting it built on with the bike, but I get that's not right for everyone. I just wanted to make sure that the right info is out there. We're not talking about the F3 getting a Zumo 660.

GunDoctor
11-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm totally distracted by the neighbor's design choice for window dressing. Wow

GunDoctor
11-28-2014, 08:10 PM
CoPilot and Sygic apps. No sound at all with Sygic, so the 29.00 was a waste. CoPilot wasn't any different, but did have sound. Verizon works good enough for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-29-2014, 01:52 AM
CoPilot and Sygic apps. No sound at all with Sygic, so the 29.00 was a waste. CoPilot wasn't any different, but did have sound. Verizon works good enough for me
With Sygic did you go into the settings menus and turn on voice notifications? You also have to go into regional settings and select a language and voice. There's also an option to download TTS voices which are needed to announce road numbers, I think it is. You have a whole slew of language choices, maybe even including Swahili!:D Then you can select your choice of several voice accents which for English go from American to British to Australian. There's a button to use or not use the smartphone speaker. That has to be unchecked to get sound through the plug-in headset. If you're using BT then it probably has to be checked.

In other words, you can't just load Sygic, open it up, and expect it to work. You have to set a number of parameters for your liking to use it. Give it a try. I think you'll really like it once you get it figured out. IMO, it is $29 well spent, not wasted. One reason for all the setting options is that it is a global program, not just North American. They use maps from various suppliers from around the world, which for NA is Tom Tom.

GunDoctor
11-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes, all the settings have been made along with the downloads, just don't work. All the features work, with no voice not really usable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaherbst
11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I also use a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with the Sygic Navigation app. There is a little learning curve with the Sygic app as it does not use the same menu structure as a typical GPS although I wish they would.

I use the RAM X-Grip mounts, the small one for my phone on the handlebar and the larger one for the tablet up on the dash. To block the sun I use a Glare Stomper http://www.glarestomper.com (http://www.glarestomper.com/) for the tablet. So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power. To hold all this stuff in place I use JT’s dash mount bracket and RAM Mounts with the 1” balls and assorted length arms.

This is the best picture I have of my setup. By putting the tablet (or a GPS) up high I don’t lose peripheral vision of the road when I look at the map on the tablet and it does not block my view of the road. When I had a temporary GPS mounted in the OEM position it seemed like I might just as well been checking my fly when I looked down to see the map. I lost all vision of the road ahead.

Have fun!
Charles

Wow, that looks like a cockpit of a plane I used to fly. Operating all that I hope your not too busy to ride safely.

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Yes, all the settings have been made along with the downloads, just don't work. All the features work, with no voice not really usable.
Did you see the option to mute the sound? Maybe your sound is muted. If you haven't found it it's in the pop up at the bottom of the screen when you touch the bar at the top of the screen. It stays up for only a few seconds so you may have to bring it up more than once. I do.

Also, Sygic controls the volume independent of your regular phone volume setting. Make sure volume is not turned way down in Sygic.

If none of these ideas fix your sound problem then all I can figure is there is some sort of incompatibility between Sygic and your phone. What phone do you have?