PDA

View Full Version : Superheroes the originals....

Pennyrick
11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
We seem to have a lot of Superheroes roaming around these days and as I was visiting with my daughter this week I realized that she had no idea where these characters originated. So, for the benefit of younger SpyderLovers, here is some history.

The first group of Superheroes were called The Justice Society of American and originated in 1940 in All Star comics. The team included Doctor Fate, Hour-Man, The Spectre, Sandman, the Atom, the Flash, Green Lantern and Hawkman. Some of these characters appeared in DC comics so this was the first inter-company superhero collection. The rule was that if a superhero gained his/her own comic book title they would have to become just an honorary member. Superman and Batman were already honorary members as they had their own titles in 1940. Later The Flash and Green Lantern got their own titles and they had to drop out.

In 1942 Wonder Woman got her own title but she was allowed to become the Secretary of the Society but was not allowed to be a crimefighter in a blatant display of 1940's sexism.

By the fifties the Society had faded from view but in 1959 a new line up of DC comics superheroes became the Justice League of America. This new group consisted of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern and the Martian Manhunter. Three year's later Green Arrow, The Atom and Hawkman were added to the group.

I had all of these comics hidden away in a chest in my bedroom and while I was away on my honeymoon in 1962, my mother decided to do me a favor and clean everything out..... that collection would be worth thousands today. It took me four years to forgive her.

wyliec
11-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Keep something in mind; forgiving your mother was priceless. There are some who never had the chance to do that.

The information you've given on comics is very interesting.:thumbup:

Chupaca
11-23-2014, 11:12 AM
great history lesson. I imagine many a collection was dealt a similar blow. I only remember the individuals but never heard of the groups. Thanks for filling us in on where they all started...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-23-2014, 12:52 PM
:shocked: The stuff that gets thrown out along the way... :gaah:
If we still had all of it; we'd be the freaks on that T.V,. Show, "Hoarders"... :yikes:

PrairieSpyder
11-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Did you know the Green Hornet was the Lone Ranger's great nephew! The Lone Ranger was John Reid, and his brother was Dan Reid. Dan's son, Dan, Jr., his mother moved east after Dan's death. He became a wealthy publisher, founding The Daily Sentinel. Dan, Jr's son, Britt, chose not to follow in his father's footsteps, and became a vigilante as the Green Hornet.