PDA

View Full Version : The vibration between 70-74mph while accelerating... Normal?

Greg H.
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I have been reading this and that about vibrations. And, it was making me think more about it. I have been pretty much taking the characteristics of my Spyder for granted, thinking it was all pretty normal.

But, I have noticed, and I checked this again this afternoon on the highway; if I am accelerating in 5th getting into that magical 4,500-5,000 rpm mark, when I get around 70mph a vibration occurs and then goes away after about 74mph. Is this normal? I was thinking it was.

Most of the other areas of speed are fairly smooth.

ataDude
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Greg... that's the particular (relatively minor) vibration (on mine, too) that I believe is related to the belt drive. The few times I've had the bike up on a jack (doing the belt alignment), you can actually see the belt "vibrate" / flex as it comes down off of the front pulley... and feel the effects on the bike. Although this was in third gear, I'm making the guess that that is it.

I have been reading this and that about vibrations. And, it was making me think more about it. I have been pretty much taking the characteristics of my Spyder for granted, thinking it was all pretty normal.

But, I have noticed, and I checked this again this afternoon on the highway; if I am accelerating in 5th getting into that magical 4,500-5,000 rpm mark, when I get around 70mph a vibration occurs and then goes away after about 74mph. Is this normal? I was thinking it was.

Most of the other areas of speed are fairly smooth.

BeRight
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
As in another post of mine, I am having this vibration pretty much whenever in 5th gear and 4500 thru the 5000s- which is the usual rpm range on the highway.

jedd
10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Mine also has slight vibe around there I assume normal and o.k.:read:

NancysToy
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Mine also has slight vibe around there I assume normal and o.k.:read:
Slight vibe, yes...bad shake, no! Guess it may be all in our perception. All bikes have a place in the rpm band where the vibrate more than the rest of the time. A bad shake is another story altogether.
-Scotty

GeminiJane
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Ditto on mine. From 67 to 72 I have the "floppy belt" feel, but only if I'm accelerating up pretty quickly from a lower speed. If I ease my way up from 64 etc., it doesn't happen. Also if I get to 72 and it's still vibrating, I can ease back to 70 and then roll back up and it doesn't do it. Once I'm through that one band, though, can go right on up to 80, 90, whatever and never feel it again. I just think of it as my "speed check" reminder:D:D.

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Slight vibe, yes...bad shake, no! Guess it may be all in our perception. All bikes have a place in the rpm band where the vibrate more than the rest of the time. A bad shake is another story altogether.
-Scotty

With my Spyder, this is more of a vibration. And, with most of my daily riding, I don't see 70-75mph. I'll mention it to my dealer on my next service.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :thumbup:

daddydarko
10-23-2008, 06:28 AM
My Buell is like a jackhammer in the low RPM range and above 90mph. My :spyder: never shakes- even at 125 mph.

I like to think of it not as vibrating; rather, they thump with love and enthusiasm.

Oh, and check your windshield. If any of those bolts are loose, you'll notice vibration at high speeds.

Greg H.
10-23-2008, 06:36 AM
My Buell is like a jackhammer in the low RPM range and above 90mph. My :spyder: never shakes- even at 125 mph.

I like to think of it not as vibrating; rather, they thump with love and enthusiasm.

Oh, and check your windshield. If any of those bolts are loose, you'll notice vibration at high speeds.

So.. you get no vibration with your Spyder, at any speed?

daddydarko
10-23-2008, 06:58 AM
So.. you get no vibration with your Spyder, at any speed?

Nothing noticeable. I see my left mirror shake but don't hear or feel any shaking or rubbing. The Spyder is very clean in this respect.

If you think your Spyder vibrates, hop on a high compression rocket once. It's like Magic Fingers.
http://www.magicfingers.com/images/MF2.gif

mike3069
10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
i noticed this 4500-5000 vibration on the way to homecoming and asked an enginner about it at the factory. He said this is a "normal" condition.

I have found, thru experimenting, that if you run the belt looser you can "move" this around in the rpm range. When asked about belt tension, the endenner replyed "Belt tension is not critical IF you do not get excessive belt vibration". It is up to you to decide what and where in the rpm's you are comfortable with this occuring.

BRPjunkie
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
This is a pretty long belt and at some point, a little belt related vibration is expected. While each dealer adjusts the belt to proper tension based on their techs skill, each bike will likely see this phenomenon. It does seem to be a function of hard acceleration.