PDA

View Full Version : Local and regional expressions

Pennyrick
11-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Rattigan Roger's recent thread about next and next generated some back and forths from folks about the way people interpret communications.

Reminds me of an embarrassing day in 1980. I was raised in Canada but moved to Michigan in '73 and then Ohio in '78. In 1980 the company promoted me to head up their operations in East Tennessee.

On my first week on the job I was in the production department reviewing some procedures with the staff and I told one staffer that I thought one job could be performed in a different, but more efficient manner.

"I don't care to do that", she replied.

I repeated my thoughts on the job and once more I got the "I don't care to do that", response.

Later, I took her aside and told her I didn't like her attitude. She broke into tears and couldn't seem to understand why I was so upset with her.

Then, one of her co-workers explained to me that in the vernacular of the mountains of East Tennessee she was telling me that things were fine and she agreed to do as I asked. "When she says she has 'no care' that is the same as 'no objection' in her mind."

It wasn't the first time I was tripped up on the special language of the mountains but I was very careful after that.

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 01:07 PM
That; would have stumped me, as well... :shocked:
My Brother in Law is from Brooklyn; he's been up here over 40 years now, and there are STILL some times that I just can't figure out what the heck he is saying to m! :roflblack:

cuznjohn
11-20-2014, 01:10 PM
That; would have stumped me, as well... :shocked:
My Brother in Law is from Brooklyn; he's been up here over 40 years now, and there are STILL some times that I just can't figure out what the heck he is saying to m! :roflblack:

brooklyn is a different breed of people, it is only one Borough away from me and it seems like a whole new world if i go there

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nIaN9Koa9oM

Chupaca
11-20-2014, 01:54 PM
you should see the mess you can get into in the spanish language traveling from country to country. :gaah: happens in the english speaking countries as well...

Cruzr Joe
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
brooklyn is a different breed of people, it is only one Borough away from me and it seems like a whole new world if i go there

I agree, i grew up in Brooklyn and sometimes i don't understand the voices in my head talking to me. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
You too? :shocked:

Maybe we should try swapping voices... :D

Cruzr Joe
11-20-2014, 02:00 PM
You too? :shocked:

Maybe we should try swapping voices... :D

Bob, we are confused enough. :yikes::yikes:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
:D I know... Ain't it GREAT?!? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :shocked:

ARtraveler
11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Regional differences are very interesting. Are we going to list some things we find here?

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Since I've only been blessed by one very local viewpoint; I'll have to see what those who have sampled the language from around our Country; can report...
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

garb55
11-20-2014, 04:39 PM
We had a new employee from Australia
He asked one of the female workers if she had a rubber
she was very upset and went to the manager [me]
I called him in my office
He said all he wanted was an eraser [he said the thing on the other end of a pencil to remove what you right]
I explained what a rubber was in the USA
He was embarrassed and apologized to the young lady
Also he called tennis shoes "runners"
True story

vided
11-20-2014, 04:43 PM
What is a 6/12" sandwich called?
1- a hero

cuznjohn
11-20-2014, 04:55 PM
only expression that is given in brooklyn is the bird

ARtraveler
11-20-2014, 05:00 PM
When the "outsiders" come to visit Alaska, I will buy them a "soda."

spydaman60
11-20-2014, 05:05 PM
What is a 6/12" sandwich called?
1- a herogrinder, sub, hoagy, hero, depending where you live!!!:thumbup:

JerryB
11-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi Don,

In England, getting knocked up in the morning means to wake you up.

:thumbup:

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 05:40 PM
grinder, sub, hoagy, hero, depending where you live!!!:thumbup:

Or even a "Po' Boy" :thumbup:
Never heard of "Hoagies", until I ended up serving my Collegiate Sentence in Nu Joisey! :D Up here; you can call them Heroes or Subs...

mowin
11-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Its "soda" here in NY, when I lived in Ohio, it was "pop". When my brother comes to visit, he still calls it pop.

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 05:56 PM
:D We call it "Beer"... :cheers:

ARtraveler
11-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Its "soda" here in NY, when I lived in Ohio, it was "pop". When my brother comes to visit, he still calls it pop.

Pop also in MN and WI.

Yazz
11-20-2014, 06:46 PM
We had a new employee from Australia
He asked one of the female workers if she had a rubber
she was very upset and went to the manager [me]
I called him in my office
He said all he wanted was an eraser [he said the thing on the other end of a pencil to remove what you right]
I explained what a rubber was in the USA
He was embarrassed and apologized to the young lady
Also he called tennis shoes "runners"
True story

Lived in Australia for two years. When we first arrived, Son got a school list of required items. (It was a private school with uniforms for all different weather.) On the list was a rubber (took me a while to figure that one out), a jumper (sweater) and a speedo. Poor guy had to take swimming classes.

Yup, they may speak english, but sometimes the same word has a TOTALLY different meaning.

The good thing is some strong Aussie swear words are quaint over here. Only Hubby realizes how pissed/angry I am. ;)

Down here it's coke. As in "What type of coke to you want?"

Oldmanzues
11-20-2014, 10:40 PM
This could be fun.
Carry me to the store...I would like a ride
Lower the radio ... turn it down
British a whole diferent langauge, I say, please check the boot for a new tyre and replace it. I had a wing dinger and ruined one.
or brew up a billy.
Spent a lot time in England TDT during my serrvice career. Knock me up made for a lot interesting moments.
Oldmanzues

Pennyrick
11-21-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm sure our Canadian members could contribute to this list.

When I was growing up....

A napkin was called a serviette
A couch was called a chesterfield
Pants were trousers
Suspenders were braces
A vacation was a holiday
French fries were chips
Chips were crispers
Electricity was Hydro
A wrench was a spanner
An eraser was a rubber

Oldmanzues
11-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Pants were trousers
Suspenders were braces
A vacation was a holiday
French fries were chips
Chips were crispers
Electricity was Hydro
A wrench was a spanner
An eraser was a rubber
I think most of these are also British. My wife was told by her langauge instutor to bring rubber for their field tip, whil stationed in German, Brit insstructor.
A person asking for a napkin in a restuirant over in England would really get a strange look when I was there 30 years ago. How to say this nicely. A napkin is something a man does not need, but a lady might.
Our150 year old + house in German had a bathroom nwith a tub and a water closet. Our German friends said to make sure to ask for a water closet if we needed to use the tiolet. Asking to use a person Bathroom would be a serious breach of conduct
Someboyd mentioned getting in trouble in spanish between different countries. Try Chinesse, mis pronouning the tone can change the meaning from Good Morning to @$%^ you
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 10:51 AM
What did you guys call a "couch"?

My Grandma Matzinger called them, :shocked: "Davenports"... :dontknow:

wyliec
11-21-2014, 12:00 PM
I hesitate to post this one that happened this morning.

Bob D,

You might enjoy this one, since you've met my gf before.

When I'm driving, and we are going to stop at a store, I usually ask my gf (when in front of the store)- Do you want me to let you off here? This morning she was driving and we went to Costco; when in front of the store, she said- Do you want me to get you off here? I think it may be an Asian thing? But, I said, we should wait till we get home.

Dan McNally
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM

Pants were trousers
Suspenders were braces
A vacation was a holiday
French fries were chips
Chips were crispers
Electricity was Hydro
A wrench was a spanner
An eraser was a rubber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8amMzGAx4

lwrydr
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
My father moved to Chicago from Georgia in the 1920's. He was working in a gas station when a customer pulled up and he was from New England. They had to get a 3rd person so they could understand each other. That was was of his many funny stories.

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I hesitate to post this one that happened this morning.

Bob D,

You might enjoy this one, since you've met my gf before.

When I'm driving, and we are going to stop at a store, I usually ask my gf (when in front of the store)- Do you want me to let you off here? This morning she was driving and we went to Costco; when in front of the store, she said- Do you want me to get you off here? I think it may be an Asian thing? But, I said, we should wait till we get home.

That was a VERY kind and generous offer... :lecturef_smilie: Don't be so quick to dismiss it next time! :D

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Two nicely dressed ladies happened to start up a conversation during an endless wait in Los Angeles Airport.The first lady was an arrogant Californian woman married to a wealthy man. The second was a well-mannered elderly woman from the South.

When the conversation centered on whether they had any children, the California woman started by saying, "When my first child was born, my husband built a beautiful mansion for me."

The lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my husband bought me a beautiful Mercedes-Benz."

Again, the lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued, "Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet."

Yet again, the Southern lady commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to Charm School," declared the Southern lady.

"Charm School?" the first woman said, amazed, "Oh, my God! What on earth for?"

The Southern lady responded, "Well for example, instead of saying, "Who gives a :cus:?" I learned to say, "Well, bless your heart!"

spydaman60
11-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Or even a "Po' Boy" :thumbup:
Never heard of "Hoagies", until I ended up serving my Collegiate Sentence in Nu Joisey! :D Up here; you can call them Heroes or Subs...it was always a grinder for me, up in nh!

Pennyrick
11-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Apparently there have been a number of unexplained deaths of crows in the greater Boston area.

Over 250 crow carcasses have been examined to see if an outbreak of Avian Flu may be in the works.

After the autopsies, it was found the crows died from massive trauma but traces of blue, yellow, green and red substances were discovered on their beaks and wings. Analysis showed this to be paint and was traced back to diesel trucks but no automobiles.

Researchers then noted that crows have a warning system when they gather on the roadways to feast on carrion and road kill. One crow always stands guard while the others eat so that a warning can be called.

Apparently these crows from Boston can say "Caw" but are unable to say 'Truck'.

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 06:18 PM
:shocked: :roflblack: :thumbup:

AppleSpyder
11-21-2014, 07:23 PM

We also called them davenports. When we were kids it was always breakfast, dinner, and supper. I was always confused when someone wanted to eat dinner at night...didn't know which meal they were discussing.

ARtraveler
11-21-2014, 07:34 PM
We also called them davenports. When we were kids it was always breakfast, dinner, and supper. I was always confused when someone wanted to eat dinner at night...didn't know which meal they were discussing.

I remember davenports. :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Apparently there have been a number of unexplained deaths of crows in the greater Boston area.

Over 250 crow carcasses have been examined to see if an outbreak of Avian Flu may be in the works.

After the autopsies, it was found the crows died from massive trauma but traces of blue, yellow, green and red substances were discovered on their beaks and wings. Analysis showed this to be paint and was traced back to diesel trucks but no automobiles.

Researchers then noted that crows have a warning system when they gather on the roadways to feast on carrion and road kill. One crow always stands guard while the others eat so that a warning can be called.

Apparently these crows from Boston can say "Caw" but are unable to say 'Truck'.

:roflblack::roflblack::clap::roflblack:

SDM
11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Two nicely dressed ladies happened to start up a conversation during an endless wait in Los Angeles Airport.The first lady was an arrogant Californian woman married to a wealthy man. The second was a well-mannered elderly woman from the South.

When the conversation centered on whether they had any children, the California woman started by saying, "When my first child was born, my husband built a beautiful mansion for me."

The lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my husband bought me a beautiful Mercedes-Benz."

Again, the lady from the South commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman continued, "Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet."

Yet again, the Southern lady commented, "Well, bless your heart."

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to Charm School," declared the Southern lady.

"Charm School?" the first woman said, amazed, "Oh, my God! What on earth for?"

The Southern lady responded, "Well for example, instead of saying, "Who gives a :cus:?" I learned to say, "Well, bless your heart!"

As a Southern Lady I can appreciate that!!:roflblack:

Joe T.
11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
- - - - - -
Down here it's coke. As in "What type of coke to you want?" - - - - - - - -

Same in Texas when I was a kid. Two trade marked words had generic meanings:

"Momma, can I have a coke?"

"What kind do you want?"

"Dr. Pepper."

Also, Kleenex. Kleenex just meant tissue.

Another is the term 'Washateria.' That is what we called a laundromat. Never heard the word laundromat until much older.

Joe T.

Joe T.

Joe T.
11-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Sofa.

Joe T.

srwilli
11-22-2014, 04:43 PM
As a young NCO from the south I was transferred to Westover AFB, MA. It was summer so the family and I go to the local ice cream shop and I order a chocolate shake. You can imagine my surprise when I get a cup full of shaken chocolate milk.. I learned quickly that what I wanted was a frappe.. Who would'a guessed that one..:D:D:shocked:

ahh-cool
11-22-2014, 06:05 PM
sprinkles = jimmies

AppleSpyder
11-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Another great one is "bubbler"....... in Wisconsin a water fountain is called a bubbler. I had no clue what a water fountain was.

Bob Denman
11-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Sofa.

Did you buy it from Sofa King? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C1_MZApnzGI

Gray Ghost
11-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Another great one is "bubbler"....... in Wisconsin a water fountain is called a bubbler. I had no clue what a water fountain was.

I was stationed in Wisconsin some years ago. Right after I got there I overheard a couple of ladies in the office talking about going to the time machine Confused the heck out of me for awhile until I noticed that the ATM on post was labelled "Tyme"