PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet

Commander
11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Looking for new helmets for me and my wife. I have the SENA 20, which helmets would the SENA 20 fit in best?

ursamajor35126
11-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Looking for new helmets for me and my wife. I have the SENA 20, which helmets would the SENA 20 fit in best?

The Wife and i have Shoei Neotech helmets and the Sena 20S installs easily and works great..... Not the cheapest helmet but what is your head worth? REALLY like them, flip down sun shield is the bomb....Go to Cycle Gear and try one on.... they don't fit everyone. Good luck!

NoLmtz
11-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm a big believer that if your going to invest in a helmet then get the best you can afford. Thus with that said, I'd prioritize your search on the safety certifications - all helmets are DOT but only some have the more stringent British certification of SNELL. So my advice would be get a helmet with both certifications for maximum protection. For reference, I have a Shoes RF1100 and have my Sena SMH10R attached.

PW2013STL
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
We just picked up the Arai CT-Z 3/4 helmets. For us the most comfortable helmet available, but not cheep. We got a great price from a local dealer that beat on line pricing. As to how the 20s fits I do not know yet, but will be finding out soon.

jaherbst
11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
When selecting a new Helmet be aware of the manufacture date. Five years after manufacture is not recommended. Most SALE Helmets are approaching the Five year period or are 3-5 years old. When you buy your Helmet ask what the manufacture date is. DOT and SNELL recommendations is the benchmark. If the Helmet is cheap be ware!

Manufacture date is required inside the Helmet or in the case of Arai it is stamped on the strap ring. Or in any case ask the person selling what date the Helmet was made.

Jack

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I think that HJC has some, that are designed to take the Sena units... :thumbup:

Chupaca
11-18-2014, 12:17 PM
the sena will work with any helmet. Search the best fit and spec's. We have the HJC modular but there are many good ones out there...:thumbup:

Dan McNally
11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Go somewhere with a good selection . . . and try them all on! Not all helmets are made the same shape and you need a quality helmet that fits your head, properly. Revzilla has a helmet guide and they discuss things like fit and features . . . http://www.revzilla.com/best-helmets-fall-2014-guide

daveinva
11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
I've owned a number of Shoei helmets by now, easily used my Sena with all of them. I really love their helmets, best brand I've owned. Been running with the Qwest model for a few years, quiet and comfy all day long. Only wish the GT Air fit me a little better (too rough on my ears), as I'd prefer having the integrated sun visor-- swapping out visors, as easy as it is on the Qwest, is still a PITA.

Shoei makes nice modular helmets, too (like the aforementioned Neotec). They tend to be a bit louder and heavier than pure full-face helmets, however, which may be of concern to any rider (me, I'm a wussy when it comes to wind noise, I want my helmets, when combined with earplugs, to be as quiet as possible).

Once you've got a helmet DOT and Snell certified, anything above that price is buying fit, finish, and comfort, not safety, i.e. you can get a perfectly safe helmet for $100 these days, a $500 helmet is going to be no safer. That said, IMHO never underestimate the importance of comfort, it's TOTALLY worth paying extra for, as a comfortable helmet is a safer helmet-- less fatigue makes a huge difference for a rider's focus when riding long distances.

KCannaday
11-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Me and my wife use the Shoei gt air helmets and love them. The 20s works great on them also! Try them on locally before you buy and check out ebay for some good deals.

ARtraveler
11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Good advice about go and try them on, make sure you get one that is not to old, and make sure they are comfortable for you.

I have been a user of Nolan Helmets for years now. I like the lift up face plate on the full face and the drop down sun visors on all models.

They have built in set up for the N-com communication system--but we do not use that.

We have Sena SMH10 communicators and they are mounted on the outside of our Nolan N-43 and N-44 model helmets. The Sena units are my favorite out of the 4 brands I have tried.

Ron YPA
11-18-2014, 08:01 PM
The Wife and i have Shoei Neotech helmets and the Sena 20S installs easily and works great..... Not the cheapest helmet but what is your head worth? REALLY like them, flip down sun shield is the bomb....Go to Cycle Gear and try one on.... they don't fit everyone. Good luck!
get the SHARK EVOLINE 3

BEST MODULAR HELMET OUT THERE

M109Dreamer
11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
get the SHARK EVOLINE 3

BEST MODULAR HELMET OUT THERE
I agree. I have had mine since 09. Will be getting another one this year. Chin piece goes all the way over instead of straight up like others. The only downside I would say at all would be that it can be a little noisy since the chin isnt fully filled in. But ear buds or the radio take care of that.