PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot review by Matt Farrah

SAPD911
11-18-2014, 05:43 AM
He slams the Can Am Spyder in the end. ugh! I am not sure how to embed the video.

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/new-slingshot-video.1284/#post-26537

vided
11-18-2014, 06:57 AM
if you were planning on giving me one for Christmas,forgetaboutit.
i can see no reason to get a slingshot. JMHO

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 08:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B6HGPvOxKU8
This guy is unreal...
"You don't really notice it's only got one wheel in the back, when going downhill...":shocked:
He doesn't know much about apexes, and he BLEW a bunch of those turns badly...

cuznjohn
11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
i enjoyed watching that, but i have 2 questions, first,,, i thought it came with s 3 point harness, second, ,,, does she come with it

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks for a fantastic setup line... :D

...That I don't DARE use! :shocked:

vided
11-18-2014, 08:41 AM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::clap: :clap:

blacklightning
11-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Nice video, but I was hoping to see it on the "Snake, 421" in the N.C., Tenn. area around Mountain City. I still see it as a 3 wheeled car and not a 3 wheeled motorcycle. I would not feel safe being that low to the ground on a major hwy. Too many trucks and SUVs that would pull over on you and say they didn't see you. And in all seriousness, they probably wouldn't.

wyliec
11-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I looked at one of his videos where he was a passenger on a motorcycle. He is afraid of them, and admitted he doesn't feel safe, which is probably why he made that comment about the spyder. He just doesn't know how to handle anything without a steering wheel, especially when there is no encasement surrounding him.

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 10:32 AM
:agree: He's just a guy, with a lot of pre-conceived notions... :banghead:

2Paw
11-18-2014, 11:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B6HGPvOxKU8
This guy is unreal...
"You don't really notice it's only got one wheel in the back, when going downhill...":shocked:
He doesn't know much about apexes, and he BLEW a bunch of those turns badly...

After almost 60 years of riding I do a lot of things (both good and bad) instinctively and about half way through this video I thought "I don't like the way this guy drives".

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
:D You saw it too... I didn't see him catch even one apex correctly; but he sure did like coasting through the turns! :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
11-18-2014, 11:53 AM
If you have to ask that you shouldn't be watching this video, because we all know the answer is hell no it isn't better than a Can Am Spyder. A "motorcycle" with a seat belt? Really? It is a car with 3 wheels and lousy Kenda tires.

arntufun
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
If you have to ask that you shouldn't be watching this video, because we all know the answer is hell no it isn't better than a Can Am Spyder. A "motorcycle" with a seat belt? Really? It is a car with 3 wheels and lousy Kenda tires.

It's not cool to spread this lie Ann........... ;)

Chupaca
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
If your three wheeler has you sitting in a seat...strapped in...holding a steering wheel...wrapped in a body (some with doors) there is no way it's a motorcycle. Even with the weak premise of a saddle in Texas they are right. You should straddle the seat...hold on to the handle bars and be out in the open air...jmho..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Randy,
Have you driven one yet? :dontknow:
We're looking for an accurate first-hand report; from somebody with Spyder experience... :thumbup:

daveinva
11-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Eh, Farrah's strongly opinionated about most things, Spyder or other. Heck, you can tell he didn't really like the Slingshot all that much.

That said, I'll cut him slack on the sloppy apexing-- how'd you all ride your Spyder for the first time, hmmm? It took me a good while to get the feel of having two wheels in front, one in back. I'm absolutely certain that I'd look pretty messy my first time running a Slingshot through Mulholland.

arntufun
11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Randy,
Have you driven one yet? :dontknow:
We're looking for an accurate first-hand report; from somebody with Spyder experience... :thumbup:

Not yet .................. Possibly next week if they show up, fingers crossed. :popcorn:

Polaris is actually using a camouflage wrap on their delivery trucks so the Slingshots won't get stolen being trucked across the country on their way to the dealers. Pretty smart and a ingenious idea. Here is one of the camouflage trucks....:roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
11-18-2014, 12:44 PM
It's not cool to spread this lie Ann........... ;)

No lie here. Even this yahoo called the Slingshot a car.

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Not yet .................. Possibly next week if they show up, fingers crossed. :popcorn:

Polaris is actually using a camouflage wrap on their delivery trucks so the Slingshots won't get stolen being trucked across the country on their way to the dealers. Pretty smart and a ingenious idea. Here is one of the camouflage trucks....:roflblack:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :clap: :2thumbs:
Cute!

bscrive
11-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Is that when they decide to drive the Sligshot for some promotion, there are always two people in the vehicle. I would like to see how one really handles with just a driver. I bet it can get pretty scary.

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Perhaps the second person is there for carpool lane eligibility?? :dontknow: :roflblack:

sduskin
11-18-2014, 01:26 PM
still requires a helmet in Oklahoma as anything with less than 4 wheels is a "motorcycle" :D

ARtraveler
11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Interesting to watch. The cheap shot at :spyder2: was not called for. Apples and oranges here--IMO

jonnysevel
11-18-2014, 04:33 PM
It is an interesting vehicle and I just don't see it in my garage. I think there is going to be an issue with the licensing of the Slingshot in a lot of states. Texas has fired the first shot.

spyder3
11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Interesting video....I'm surprised he didn't blow the clutch & or the tranny....First time shifting?? :roflblack:

I think the only way to find out whats its like is to drive it. You never know where that might lead you...:roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-18-2014, 04:50 PM
the slingshot does look like a lot of fun, perhaps more so then our little :spyder2:'s but there is no doubt
in my mind it can not be a daily ride & no way can it be driven much in my area. it will bottom out on potholes,
get beat more then a :spyder: on regular roads & i would worry about an suv cutting me off since it sits low.
All in all none of that will stop me from accepting one if polaris decides to give me one.
:ani29::spyder2::spyder: RULE!!

Art Mann
11-18-2014, 08:37 PM
It just looks like a crippled sports car to me. There are a lot better choices if that is what I wanted to drive.

Buggy
11-18-2014, 09:49 PM
:agree:

Motorcycledave
11-19-2014, 09:03 PM
If you were planning on giving one to JMHO, he don't want it just
give it to me. you can bet I will have fun with it.
Dave

if you were planning on giving me one for Christmas,forgetaboutit.
i can see no reason to get a slingshot. JMHO

The_Stones
11-19-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry but can't take this guy seriously as he starts saying that it is a quality built vehicle, then imidiatly says the brakes are bad. I'm sorry but breaks bing bad imo removes it for any level of quality listings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 08:05 AM
:agree: You have brought up a VERY good point about his "reporting"...
If something as important as the brakes is getting your attention in a bad way; how can you say that it's a quality-built vehicle? :shocked:

spyder3
11-20-2014, 03:46 PM
How is the Polaris dealer network compared to the spyder dealer network? Bigger, better? smaller? just as crappy? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
11-20-2014, 03:54 PM
My guess; Is that it's "comparable"... :shocked:
(Perhaps an edge to Polaris...)
These are two companies with deep roots in the sports of snowmobiling and ATVing...
Polaris has more Indian and Victory experience, but they're both relatively new to THIS sort of dealership...

Farmbanker
11-21-2014, 08:54 PM
You sit "in" it, you strap your self in it, it has a steering wheel. That is no bike and I can run my RT through the curves harder than that thing. No thanks......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GunDoctor
11-22-2014, 02:10 AM
I ride this route a lot, he turned around just a turn or two away from the popular Rock Store.

wyliec
11-22-2014, 08:29 AM
You sit "in" it, you strap your self in it, it has a steering wheel. That is no bike and I can run my RT through the curves harder than that thing. No thanks......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you driven one to make that comparison?

Mexican
11-22-2014, 08:44 AM
I will buy one and let everybody test ride it:2thumbs:
actually, i did that with the Spyder and thanks to that 3 or 4 more people rides one, including a member of this great forum:doorag:

Bob Denman
11-22-2014, 08:45 AM
:agree: It's too early for comparisons; please let us know once you've actually run up against one of them, and eaten his Lunch! :2thumbs:

Dragonrider
01-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Now that I have driven the SS, I can attest to the fact that it reminded me of my MGs and Healys of old - hard to get out of for a big guy with bad knees too. But an absolute hoot to drive around in - and it got more attention than my 02 Vrod - with people braking on the freeway to slow down and stare. Lots of folks want to talk about my Spyder, but I haven't had someone hit the brakes for a look, since my 09 RS was new.

I drove the SL variant that was supposed to be mine, but went to an acquaintance for extra cash - and now I can wait for better brakes. They are fine for normal driving, but fade pretty quickly - much like the brakes on the 08 to 10 Spyders. I thought the steering wheel was on the small side, for optimal control and feel, but it was OK, and the full windshield kept the wind out of my hair. One would think that 176HP would be enough, but it isn't quite - like the 990 RTs - you would just like a bit more.

Polaris did a good job - from the occupants perspective, it's a great ride, and you feel you are going 50% faster than you are - again, just like my early Brit cars, without the multi-carbs, and dashpot shocks to deal with.

If you haven't driven one, you should. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's just plain fun. Will it pull the Boomers off their Spyders? Probably not. Will it pull the Xgen folks in? Probably. Those that have an aversion to motorcycles will love the SS.

Unlike the Spyder, where the up charge for the "S" or "LTD" provides little but window dressing, the SL is a solid value for the extra $3K - There are a host of features that I haven't played with yet - so I still have some unanswered questions.

Finally, the cockpit is a bit tight - comfortable, but tight. I like to move around on long trips (think floorboards on the RT), and there's really not much of that, and there were a few sharp edges in places where I would rest my knee - nothing drastic, just niggly bits. For less that the entry cost for a F3, it's a worthy contender for discretionary dollars.

Where would I place it in the fun/utility spectrum against the Spyder? Below the RT, and perhaps the RSS (LTD), but above the rest. I also feel it is totally unfair to compare the SS against the ATOM or similar rides, just as it is to compare the RT against the (non-triked) K16 or GL18 - each is in a unique place in the market spectrum, and offer checks in in boxes the others don't. If I were in the toy market, and the RT wasn't around, I would choose the SS. In the future - probably '16, I'll have both the SS share with my grandkids and my RT.

retread
01-10-2015, 07:20 PM
The statement about the Spyder was more than likely made based on a 10 minute ryde, with no practice before.
If he drives that way on curves, he probably has traffic stacked up behind him for miles.
I have no opinion on the SS, my body probably won't bend enough to get in or out of it, but I had my time with sports cars and other interesting vehicles.
I'll stay with my Spyder.

john