PDA

View Full Version : music for my spyder

Buffalosoldier007
11-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Looking to buy an apple i-pad mini at black friday prices, as music for my spyder, and can use it for as another notebook also...
but will it work as as spyder intended on my rtl. or do i need to keep looking for and i-pod.

Cruzr Joe
11-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Looking to buy an apple i-pad mini at black friday prices, as music for my spyder, and can use it for as another notebook also...
but will it work as as spyder intended on my rtl. or do i need to keep looking for and i-pod.

Buy a used (16 or 32 Gig) i-pod on ebay and leave it in the trunk. (this is the least expensive way) make sure that you get one with the older style connector, i don't believe the new lightning connectors work with the Spyder.

Cruzr Joe

Buffalosoldier007
11-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Buy a used (16 or 32 Gig) i-pod on ebay and leave it in the trunk. (this is the least expensive way) make sure that you get one with the older style connector, i don't believe the new lightning connectors work with the Spyder.

Cruzr Joe
I found an i-pod nano 4th gen. what are the old style connectors ar you referring and will that let me switch artist from the mode screen?

Deeprzymus
11-17-2014, 10:58 PM
I purchased conversion plug/jumper from the old style to the fire connector for my new IPod. It works great and Leave it in the trunk full time.

Cruzr Joe
11-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I found an i-pod nano 4th gen. what are the old style connectors ar you referring and will that let me switch artist from the mode screen?

I recommend a 3rd or 4th generation ipod touch, i don't believe a nano will allow you to change songs or playlists from the handlebar controls, the old connector i was referring to is the apple connector

Cruzr Joe

robmorg
11-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I recommend a 3rd or 4th generation ipod touch, i don't believe a nano will allow you to change songs or playlists from the handlebar controls, the old connector i was referring to is the apple connector

Cruzr Joe Joe, that information is not correct. I use a fourth generation nano with my Spyder and it works perfectly . I can control selection of playlists, skip songs, etc. from the handlebar controls. I also have a newer iPod with the new lightning plug. As Deeprzymus just pointed out above, that also works perfectly if you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter that Apple sells. So bottom line, just about any iPod will work with the Spyder, with the possible exception of some of the very early models that may not charge properly.

Also worth mentioning is that if you are going to use the 30 pin to lightning adapter , use the one that Apple makes. Some of the cheaper knockoffs that you find on eBay and Amazon may not work.

Cruzr Joe
11-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Joe, that information is not correct. I use a fourth generation nano with my Spyder and it works perfectly . I can control selection of playlists, skip songs, etc. from the handlebar controls. I also have a newer iPod with the new lightning plug. As Deeprzymus just pointed out above, that also works perfectly if you use the 30 pin to lightning adapter that Apple sells. So bottom line, just about any iPod will work with the Spyder, with the possible exception of some of the very early models that may not charge properly.

Also worth mentioning is that if you are going to use the 30 pin to lightning adapter , use the one that Apple makes. Some of the cheaper knockoffs that you find on eBay and Amazon may not work.

Thanks for the update, i was not sure that a nano would work.

Cruzr Joe

CruiseRT
11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
The manual tells you everything you need to know from what works and how to use the controls.
This is from the manual:
Compatible iPod Device
Made for:
– iPod touch (2nd, 3rd and 4th genera-
tion)
– iPod nano (5th and 6th generation)
– iPad
– iPad 2
– iPhone 4
– iPhone 3GS
– iPhone 3G.
As the old saying goes "Read the Book"

robmorg
11-18-2014, 10:40 AM
The manual doesn't show the complete list, though. Like I mentioned, I use a nano 4rth generation and it works perfectly, as will new iPods with the pin adaptor.

Pirate looks at --
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Works as well, and with the iCloud I can carry all 14,0000 songs along with me. I am quite sure that the iPhone 6 will work as well. For both of these huh will alson need the 30 pin to lightning converter. We have taken our music to the helmets though via Bluetooth connection to the Scala device. The sound of the speakers on the bike is pretty cheesy so I run my music throught a Bose headset.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
The manual doesn't show the complete list, though. Like I mentioned, I use a nano 4rth generation and it works perfectly, as will new iPods with the pin adaptor............................For convenience, because I thought it was kind of useless having your DEVICE in the trunk, I took the plug out of the trunk .....stripped out the wire from the harness ( carefully with a razor ) and brought it up to the RIGHTside of small center compartment ( 2014 RT ) drilled a hole and put the plug in there.......Now that it's winter if you have a warm area to work in this is not to difficult . You just have to remove some of the right side panels .......There is just enough wire to comfortably reach the compartment ...........................Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
:clap: :nopic: :2thumbs:

finless
11-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I used a iPod 4th gen that had a cracked screen. You don't need a screen on the thing!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54670-My-2nd-tip!-iPod-connection-and-some-tips-with-your-iPod

So I would get on Ebay and find someone selling one with a cracked screen for CHEAP!

Bob

Art Mann
11-18-2014, 03:26 PM
...........................For convenience, because I thought it was kind of useless having your DEVICE in the trunk, I took the plug out of the trunk .....stripped out the wire from the harness ( carefully with a razor ) and brought it up to the RIGHTside of small center compartment ( 2014 RT ) drilled a hole and put the plug in there.......Now that it's winter if you have a warm area to work in this is not to difficult . You just have to remove some of the right side panels .......There is just enough wire to comfortably reach the compartment ...........................Mike :thumbup:

Is it not true that you don't have to do anything to the iPod if you use the interface provided by the Spyder? Why not leave it tucked away in the trunk? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Is it not true that you don't have to do anything to the iPod if you use the interface provided by the Spyder? Why not leave it tucked away in the trunk? :dontknow:
:ohyea:I'm very old school and can barely manage my MP-3 player.....which is what I use. But in order to turn it on and off it's easier if it's in the front compartment. And when you think about does anyone Really NEED to do anything to their Spyder .........Not really but if they can they usually do. The cost of moving it was " ZERO " .........Mike :thumbup:

Buffalosoldier007
11-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I am without word to hear of the advice. really speechless in a good way. I did get a 5th gen nano today and will purchase a i-pad on black friday.
not being sexist but you guys are fantastic. :clap: