PDA

View Full Version : The End?

zuni
11-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Last (???) of the lighting is complete. Nothing guarantees that you will be seen by everyone one the road but this should help unless they are texting or asleep. Road trip time to break in the finished trailer. Waiting on the battery for it to be complete. Internal and external lights run off the bike or the trailer battery. Dual usb charging port and standard outlet. Battery recharged from the bike when running.

ARtraveler
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Very nice lighting setup. :bowdown::bowdown::firstplace::firstplace:

jerpinoy
11-15-2014, 09:43 PM
IS that legal on the road.?

zuni
11-15-2014, 10:00 PM
IS that legal on the road.?

No problems yet. I think it looks a lot brighter in a static shot that rolling. It does look pretty cool in the rain though. The underside green makes lighted trails off the tires. Green fire on the road.

CJ JAX

Ben Burped
11-15-2014, 10:55 PM
I applaud your creativity ,but I question the legality of the lighting. I believe that the "standards" for lighting empower all of us to look at a color pattern and quickly know what we are looking at and determine an approximate size and direction of travel of that motor vehicle. There is a reason that the forward lights are amber and the aft lights are red. This tells other drivers a lot. If we are all allowed to create our own custom lighting scheme, we loose the uniformity that communicates so much to other drivers. Finally, would we even be able to safely navigate the roads if everyone exercised their God given right to design their own light set up on each of several million vehicles on the road ? IMHO

jaherbst
11-16-2014, 12:45 AM
I applaud your creativity ,but I question the legality of the lighting. I believe that the "standards" for lighting empower all of us to look at a color pattern and quickly know what we are looking at and determine an approximate size and direction of travel of that motor vehicle. There is a reason that the forward lights are amber and the aft lights are red. This tells other drivers a lot. If we are all allowed to create our own custom lighting scheme, we loose the uniformity that communicates so much to other drivers. Finally, would we even be able to safely navigate the roads if everyone exercised their God given right to design their own light set up on each of several million vehicles on the road ? IMHO

Looks cool but kind of have to agree with you.

Jack

Chupaca
11-16-2014, 01:09 AM
awesome looking...have a great trip and be safe....cause your already well lit...:roflblack::roflblack:

Art Mann
11-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Many years ago, my teenage son rigged up a bunch of lights like that under his SUV. It was quite a sight to behold. During the first 24 hours, he was pulled over by a police officer and given a citation for illegal lights on his vehicle. At least in some States, I doubt if you will have much better luck than my son did.

zuni
11-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Many years ago, my teenage son rigged up a bunch of lights like that under his SUV. It was quite a sight to behold. During the first 24 hours, he was pulled over by a police officer and given a citation for illegal lights on his vehicle. At least in some States, I doubt if you will have much better luck than my son did.
The lights have been installed for a few months with no issues. They look a lot brighter in this static photo then they do when the bike is rolling. I also have a dimmer circuit that I can use if need be.

CJ JAX

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-17-2014, 08:11 AM
those that are texting while asleep ARE the ones you have to worry about the most.

Bob Denman
11-17-2014, 08:20 AM
They look really good! :clap: :thumbup:
Question: Do you have them on switches, so that they can be turned-off?
(Just in case a LEO takes issue with them...)

zuni
11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
They look really good! :clap: :thumbup:
Question: Do you have them on switches, so that they can be turned-off?
(Just in case a LEO takes issue with them...)
Yes, separate switches for bike and trailer lighting along with a dimmer for the trailer. So far no issues, in fact twice I have had LEO pull behind and beside me but there can always be a first. My intent is not to distract or confuse other drivers but to be seen and it does attract attention and lots of thumbs up. As previously pointed out though, the one that is going to get you is the one that is texting or otherwise distracted. Looks really cool in the rain. The under bike lighting reflects off the water lifted by the tires to make green trails, not that I specifically go out ryding in the rain at night.

CJ JAX

finless
11-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Great lighting.... I have done similar.
But as other said, this will get you as ticket in most states if you run them while on the road!

I put RGB lights on mine and blue/green for sure is a no no on the road!
You might get away with a very dim red or amber but bottom line here in Ca. any kind of bottom glow lighting on the road will for sure get you a ticket.

Bob

zuni
11-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Great lighting.... I have done similar.
But as other said, this will get you as ticket in most states if you run them while on the road!

I put RGB lights on mine and blue/green for sure is a no no on the road!
You might get away with a very dim red or amber but bottom line here in Ca. any kind of bottom glow lighting on the road will for sure get you a ticket.

Bob
Another reason for me to be glad I changed coasts I guess. Green hasn't been an issue in Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, Jacksonville, St. Marys or St. Simons GA or anywhere in between. Not to say that it can't happen but so far the Sheriff, City, and Highway Patrol seem to have other things to worry about.

CJ JAX

Dragonfly
11-17-2014, 05:32 PM

The most likely were NEON lights and those are illegal in most states since they have been known to cause Cataracts and other vision problems.

Dragonfly
11-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Just been in contact with my State Representative regarding LED lights on Motorcycles who in turn provided me with a contact at VSP who in turn told me that Virginia uses the Federal Guidelines
Federal Highway Safety site Title 49 Subtitle B Chapter V Part 51 SubPart B code 571.108 nothing there specifically not allowing it.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8365fa10c3ed11e69301e11f27a76f66&node=pt49.6.571&rgn=div5

The only restrictions I can find is the use of aftermarked lights causing distraction or blinding other drivers.

Weekend before last I came back from Danville VA. had my Bumpskid and Vader lights on steady, passed several LEO's without any issues so unless your lights are red/blue and / or flashing and not breaking any other traffic laws I will be slim chance of getting pulled over for a non moving violation.

In any case, looks very nice zuni

JIM EVANS
11-17-2014, 06:35 PM
As having lighting on all my bikes and having been pulled over more than one, and also doing a lot of light work for others. anything other than amber in front red in rear, no flashing or strobing other than a headlamp modulator.... I have neons, LEDs, make my antennas light up etc... They have given me warnings but never a tic.. One ageny even gave me work lighting up their bikes as mine was more visible to others. Looks good:yes: