PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering when starting off

NoLmtz
11-15-2014, 12:24 AM
My '13 STS shudders when I apply throttle when first taking it out. Here's the scenario - I Park it at a slight uphill incline in my parking garage; I always let it warm up to 3 bars; I ride it just about every day; and it's serviced only by dealer.

So after warming up I put it into gear (R or 1) and apply light throttle. It's at this point it shutters like the gears aren't lubed or something - it's rough feeling. After I give it a little more throttle it goes fine but it's that first 10 sec that I'm wondering about. Is this normal?

JKMSPYDER
11-15-2014, 08:00 AM
It's possible it could be your purge valve. Have your dealer check it out.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-15-2014, 09:51 AM
My '13 STS shudders when I apply throttle when first taking it out. Here's the scenario - I Park it at a slight uphill incline in my parking garage; I always let it warm up to 3 bars; I ride it just about every day; and it's serviced only by dealer.

So after warming up I put it into gear (R or 1) and apply light throttle. It's at this point it shutters like the gears aren't lubed or something - it's rough feeling. After I give it a little more throttle it goes fine but it's that first 10 sec that I'm wondering about. Is this normal?
Normal for 13 RT so probably for yours also. There is a service bulletin out discussing it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

flamingobabe
11-15-2014, 10:03 AM
I have had the same problem.....things we have done to eliminate the shuttering.....wheel bearings too tight.....helped some....purge valve...did nothing.....replaced clutch system...helped the most.....BRP replaced clutch system and purge valve.....the clutch in the SE5 on the 2013's has been found to have warped plates....talk to dealer and have them talk to BRP about replacing clutch system.....but the ST still shutters and shakes at take off and reverse...just not as bad

Bensonoid
11-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Mine does the same thing. First application of the throttle in gear it will shudder, never again for the rest of the ride. Not too worried about it yet. I do the same thing when I crawl out of bed in the morning.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Ask your dealer to find the service bulletin. The guys at Lamonster Garage gave me a copy of it but I don't know where it is now or I would post it. BRP made a change to the clutch materials for '13 that causes them to shudder. Their suggestion is let the bike warm up and get moving as quickly as possible, i.e, avoid clutch slippage as much as possible. After the engine is warm and oil flowing freely the problem goes away. The comments above are right in line with what BRP says to expect.

NoLmtz
11-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Thank you - you've given me some comfort that its not something very different from others. I will be touching base with my dealer about that service bulletin - if I can find it I will post it here also!

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
the clutch in the SE5 on the 2013's has been found to have warped plates....

:agree: Warped clutch plates have been doing this for years... nojoke

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
I found the copy of the service bulletin related to clutch chattering so decided to append it to this 2 month old thread so it'll be available for all.

billybovine
01-10-2015, 04:14 PM
My 2013 ST Limited has done this from the first day I brought it home. Normal.

claychaser
04-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Ask your dealer to find the service bulletin. The guys at Lamonster Garage gave me a copy of it but I don't know where it is now or I would post it. BRP made a change to the clutch materials for '13 that causes them to shudder. Their suggestion is let the bike warm up and get moving as quickly as possible, i.e, avoid clutch slippage as much as possible. After the engine is warm and oil flowing freely the problem goes away. The comments above are right in line with what BRP says to expect.

WHAT HE SAID! Same thing on ours. It goes away when warm. Dealer described it as cold oil circulating, or lack there of. Works well when warmed up.

robspyderden
04-15-2015, 09:14 PM
My bike does the same thing, but mine is a sm5 2013 rts. It doesn't do it all the time, engine hot or cold doesn't matter.

900Dave
04-16-2015, 06:54 PM
My 2013 ST Limited has done this from the first day I brought it home. Normal.

Same here. This is normal on the 13's. I just give it throttle and get going. Then it is good until the next time it sits overnight.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-17-2015, 12:15 AM
Go here to see the service bulletin about clutch chatter. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76427-Clutch-chattering&highlight=clutch

Pandy
09-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Thread has been inactive for some time but my 2011 SE5 with 57K has started the chatter more and more. Temperature independent, oil state independent, as a matter of fact, the mechanic just had it for an unrelated TPS investigation, rode it until warm, and didn't say a word about it. Oh, because I remembered this thread, I asked if the purge valve was functioning normally and he said it was. I am considering trading for a 14 or 15 and don't want this behavior to be a problem come trade time. So, what is the upshot? Is it considered "normal" or is there a purge valve fix that I missed?
Patrick

oldguyinTX
09-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Agree with all of the above, I do warm it up well, but the SmoothSpyder belt tensioner has helped a lot with the "shudder" on my RT

oldguyinTX
09-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Go here to see the service bulletin about clutch chatter. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76427-Clutch-chattering&highlight=clutch

Is that written in English ?:hun:

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Is that written in English ?:hun:
Was last time I looked at it!! :thumbup: