PDA

View Full Version : clearance on 2014 RT Spyder...can I increase it?

Questions
11-13-2014, 08:48 AM
My spyder hits bottom when I load it onto my new DROPTAIL trailer, even though it supposedly was built expressly for this bike. Any ideas?

Also, I can't figure out how to tie it down. Ratchet tie-downs seem not to be able to be short enough to tie down the front wheels. Ideas?

Bob Denman
11-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Keep a couple of lengths of 2x6 (maybe 3' long), in the trailer. Set them down so that the front wheels will ride up onto them when you are loading the bike. The will lessen the approach angle, and allow for all of the clearance that you'll need. :thumbup:
Tie-Downs: Go through the rear wheel, and back to the corners of the trailer. Just be careful when fishing the strap through the wheels; you've got the rear brake and rear drive pulley in your way...
The front's... They say to hook it down by the wheels. I don't... :shocked:
I go back to the lower A-arm; right by the shock mount.
Set your trailer's anchor point, to be DIRECTLY in front of your bike's anchor point. (NO lateral forces are allowed!)
You might need to shop around a bit to find the right straps for the job...

jaherbst
11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought a half sheet 24X48" of 5/8 plywood and cut it in thirds for the Toy Hauler. One for each wheel. Works great. Also raise the front screw jack all the way up. Do not forget to chock the wheels in front and release the ball. This will reduce the loading angle.

Jack

Buggy
11-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I was shown and bought a set of Canyon Dancer bar harnesses yesterday at Central Florida Powersports. They slip over the handle bar grips and provide a attachment point for the the front straps. They look interestng but I haven't tried them yet. I am concerned that the front fenders may be in the way when leading the straps. I will find out next week when i pick up my bike.

Bob Denman
11-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I'd be concerned about loading the handlebar ends like that; you might twist them downward... :shocked:
They work well for 325 pound dirtbikes; but 1000 pounders?? :dontknow:

Buggy
11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I'd be concerned about loading the handlebar ends like that; you might twist them downward... :shocked:

Point taken....I will bear that in mind. Kenny , a SpyderLover recommended them. I will have the straps to go either way.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-13-2014, 03:40 PM
My spyder hits bottom when I load it onto my new DROPTAIL trailer, even though it supposedly was built expressly for this bike. Any ideas?

Also, I can't figure out how to tie it down. Ratchet tie-downs seem not to be able to be short enough to tie down the front wheels. Ideas?.....Follow Bob D's advise for getting it onto the trailer but go to this thread from yesterday for a tie-down solution .The question was Posted by "cjakq" --" SuperClamp Spyder Tie-downs ", the answer was posted by me .....Mike :thumbup:

2Paw
11-13-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a set of Canyon Dancers and I'm not sure why I still have them. I bent the bars on my Burgman, when they seemed tight enough they were too tight, I haven't used them since and sure as heck wouldn't use them on a spyder.

Spydman
11-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Bought a droptail trailer in 2013 to haul my 2012 rt limited to spyderfest. Had to use 2 2x6's under the tailgate to drive up on. At spyderfest I had the sway bar put on with shock relocators and new elkas. This must have raised the :spyder2: by about 1 to 2 inches.Now the spyder goes right up the ramp without any help at all. I also have the bump skid on and all clears very easy. To tie down I use an axle strap and ratchet tie down on each wheel. Back wheel is pulled forward and the 2 front wheels are pulled back over to the side tie downs. Not sure if this is overkill but has worked great the 3 different times I have hauled the spyder. I also cover with the full cover. The droptail trailer pulls great and you don't even know it's behind you. Good luck with all and ride safe. Would try to post pics. but not good with this kind of stuff.

SPYDMAN (Vince Morris) Douglasville Ga.:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
11-13-2014, 06:49 PM
There are actually some very specific and detailed tie-down instructions in your owner's manuals... :thumbup:
I don't follow them for my own reasons; I've given it a lot of thought, and just prefer my method.
:lecturef_smilie: BUT you should listen to them!

Questions
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Bought a droptail trailer in 2013 to haul my 2012 rt limited to spyderfest. Had to use 2 2x6's under the tailgate to drive up on. At spyderfest I had the sway bar put on with shock relocators and new elkas. This must have raised the :spyder2: by about 1 to 2 inches.Now the spyder goes right up the ramp without any help at all. I also have the bump skid on and all clears very easy. To tie down I use an axle strap and ratchet tie down on each wheel. Back wheel is pulled forward and the 2 front wheels are pulled back over to the side tie downs. Not sure if this is overkill but has worked great the 3 different times I have hauled the spyder. I also cover with the full cover. The droptail trailer pulls great and you don't even know it's behind you. Good luck with all and ride safe. Would try to post pics. but not good with this kind of stuff.

Wow. Thanks so very much. Can you be more specific as to where you placed the 2x6's? Are they on the deck or on the part of the trailer thathas been lowered? I don't know what an axle strap is Can you send me a sketch? My email address is c.whitlock@zoomtown.com.

Appreciate it very much.
Charlie Whitlock

Mayhem
11-13-2014, 07:39 PM

This is the proper method to tie down a spyder.

Cruzr Joe
11-13-2014, 08:37 PM

I agree, that is going to be touchy.

Cruzr Joe

Spydman
11-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Also, I can't figure out how to tie it down. Ratchet tie-downs seem not to be able to be short enough to tie down the front wheels. Ideas?

sent you a pm

adlereins
11-14-2014, 02:25 PM
I too have the drop tail and yes, my spydie would hang up at times. (Usually when going real slow) I found that when the rear wheel is barely on the "drop portion", jack the drop portion up by about two or three inches and all clearance problems are taken care of and you can then move all the way forward and tie 'er down.
Hope this helps.
Take Care
Allen B.

Captainpaul
11-14-2014, 02:33 PM
I always thought the use of a full cover on a bike in an open trailer would damage the paint!! I also have a Dropdown trailer and have been afraid to cover the Spyder when trailing. Am I being too cautious??

Tie downs, pulling the rear wheel forward and fronts rearward is how I do it​

happyspyder2039
11-14-2014, 04:30 PM
I always thought the use of a full cover on a bike in an open trailer would damage the paint!! I also have a Dropdown trailer and have been afraid to cover the Spyder when trailing. Am I being too cautious??Tie downs, pulling the rear wheel forward and fronts rearward is how I do it​Covering a spyder on an open trailer is bad. Don't do it unless you want to by a new cover

Bob Denman
11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
I always thought the use of a full cover on a bike in an open trailer would damage the paint!! I also have a Dropdown trailer and have been afraid to cover the Spyder when trailing. Am I being too cautious??

Tie downs, pulling the rear wheel forward and fronts rearward is how I do it​

No; you are NOT being too cautious... :shocked:
No matter how tight the cover fits; it's gonna flap around in the wind.
That flapping, will damage your paint! :yikes:

jaherbst
11-14-2014, 06:28 PM
NEVER NEVER NEVER tie down to handle bars. They are a light weight alloy! Always tie down going through the wheels. Tie front forward (in a straight line) so as not to damage the suspenstion and alignment. Do not cross tie. Use two rachet straps cross tied to the back and separately connected around the rear tire. You will need 4 rachet straps.

Use rachet straps that have a soft end that connects around and back to itself to prevent damage.

Dirt/racing bikes are light with 10-14" suspenstion and steel handle bars that can be tied down but not against the stops on the forks.

BWW bikes are only tied down using the lower non movable portion of the forks etc. etc.

Jack