PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Slingshot can't be sold in Texas

SAPD911
11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Apparently they are not recognizing it as a mc because the word saddle is not in there.

bscrive
11-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Well of course not. The Slingshot is a three wheeled car that you have to wear a helmet in.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

I think this may happen to other states and provinces as well. You would think that Polaris would have vetted all this out before they decided to produce the Slingshot.

I wonder what would happen to someone who rode one into Texas from another state that allows them to be registered. If Texas sees them as an off road vehicle then I could see people being ticketed and/or the vehicle impounded. Not good for future sales. nojoke

jcthorne
11-12-2014, 10:56 AM
The US DOT and many states are working to try and define, again, the difference between a car and a motorcycle. The simple 'less than 4 wheels' definition no longer works.

In simple terms, the Spyder is a motorcycle. The Slingshot is a car. You know it when you see it. Much harder to define in the laws. Problem is, the Slingshot does not meet the safety equipment and emissions requirements for a car.

Its likely that this will not be a 'Texas' problem for long.

Bob Denman
11-12-2014, 11:00 AM
The Laws of the Home licensing State will apply; so they'll be allowed into Texas... :2thumbs:

Dan McNally
11-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Elio will have the same issues. I read, somewhere, that they are coordinating with each state where there would be an issue, and trying to get changes in the different state laws. Polaris is probably doing the same thing.

Laws need to change to keep up with technology.

jcthorne
11-12-2014, 11:13 AM
The Laws of the Home licensing State will apply; so they'll be allowed into Texas... :2thumbs:

Yes but that does no good for a resident of Texas. You cannot legally licence a vehicle in a state other than the one you are a resident of. Doing so is tax evasion....

You also cannot buy one out of state and then register it in Texas. As more states head this direction to reclassify 3 wheeled cars, the ones that cannot be registered as cars will loose value quickly as they cannot be sold. Be careful buying into one of these at the moment if your intention is to drive it on public roads.

It also depends on which laws Texas decides are enforceable. IE if they decide the Slingshot does not meet Texas DOT safety standards, it will not matter the home state, it will be illegal to drive it in Texas regardless of its status elsewhere. This is the same situation that prevents towing triples or operating a trailer over 5000 lbs without its own brakes in Texas. The situation is evolving and will be an interesting one to watch.

jcthorne
11-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Elio will have the same issues. I read, somewhere, that they are coordinating with each state where there would be an issue, and trying to get changes in the different state laws. Polaris is probably doing the same thing.

Laws need to change to keep up with technology.

Its likely to go the other way. The laws currently allow a loophole that 3 wheel cars are trying to fit through. It will likely be closed.

3 Wheel cars will need to meet the safety requirements for cars to be sold. The Slingshot does not in its current configuration. Its also not a motorcycle.

My fear is that as these laws change, they could end up effecting the Spyder too.

bscrive
11-12-2014, 11:21 AM

I am not sure that would apply since Texas classifies the Slingshot as an off road vehicle. This is not the same thing as driver licensing on the Spyder.

Hopefully, they get this fixed up soon and there will be no problems for those who want them.

I know myself that if this was an issue with some states I would hold off until everything was cleared up.

2Paw
11-12-2014, 11:32 AM
They sell these in Texas, but the difference is it has the 2 wheels in back. I think that the definition should be that in addition to having less than 4 wheels, if you sit on it it's a motorcycle, but if you sit in it it is an automobile.

warp10
11-12-2014, 11:59 AM
They sell these in Texas, but the difference is it has the 2 wheels in back. I think that the definition should be that in addition to having less than 4 wheels, if you sit on it it's a motorcycle, but if you sit in it it is an automobile.

the Stallion has a center console that you straddle, so the saddle phrase works. the T-rex has the same seating arrangement as the slingshot and it has been around for a while

2Paw
11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
the Stallion has a center console that you straddle, so the saddle phrase works. the T-rex has the same seating arrangement as the slingshot and it has been around for a while

Because you straddle the console couldn't this be considered to be setting on it? Also rather than side by side seating you set one behind the other in/on a Stallion.

Bob Denman
11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I am not sure that would apply since Texas classifies the Slingshot as an off road vehicle. .
:shocked::hun: I thought that they had more sense than that in Texas...
If that thing is off-road; it's been in an accident! :yikes:

ARtraveler
11-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Interesting. We will have to see how this all plays out. Guessing that the Polaris dealers are not going to be real happy. :yikes:

Bob Denman
11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Elio will have the same issues.
You mean: they'll have the same issues, IF they ever bring a product to market! :shocked: :D

Jeriatric
11-12-2014, 02:31 PM
TerraCraft Motors ~ A Texas based manufacturer.

TerraCraft ~ A fully engineered tandem saddle (two person motorcycle seat).

Bob Denman
11-12-2014, 02:52 PM
TerraCraft Motors ~ A Texas based manufacturer.

TerraCraft ~ A fully engineered tandem saddle (two person motorcycle seat).

http://terracraftmotors.com/
Wow! These are pretty darn pretty! :clap: :2thumbs: :yes:

bscrive
11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
What I would like to know is why can the T-Rex be sold in Texas but the Slingshot cannot? What is the difference between the two? Is it the roll cage on the T-Rex?

BTW, that TerraCraft Motors trike is very cool looking. And...you can get AC on it.

Jeriatric
11-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Have it your way. All you need to do is provide them with the motorcycle of your choosing and an additional 40 to 60 grand. In return, you get a one off custom.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-12-2014, 03:22 PM
glad i own a :spyder2: not a slingshot.

warp10
11-12-2014, 03:26 PM
http://terracraftmotors.com/
Wow! These are pretty darn pretty! :clap: :2thumbs: :yes:

I think they are single seat

jcthorne
11-12-2014, 03:40 PM
What I would like to know is why can the T-Rex be sold in Texas but the Slingshot cannot? What is the difference between the two? Is it the roll cage on the T-Rex?

Good question and part of the problem legislators are grappling with. Is the T-Rex a car or a bike? Why. It could be reclassified as a car and no longer be legal in Texas either. I think the 'saddle' term in the Polaris letter is part of the new language the state is trying to use to differentiate. Could Polaris install saddle style seats in the Slingshot frame and just work around the law? Who knows where this will lead. It is doubtful they would make existing vehicles already titled illegal. They could but not likely. A grand-father clause perhaps.

daveinva
11-12-2014, 03:54 PM

BTW, that TerraCraft Motors trike is very cool looking. And...you can get AC on it.

No difference, legally. Both the T-Rex and Morgan have been sold and titled in Texas as motorcycles.

IANAL, but assuming the Polaris letter is accurate-- and why wouldn't it be? They're a global company that did their research-- they have the documentation that shows the state of Texas approved Slingshot sales. While the law as written will trump that interpretation, i.e. the state will likely claim a bureaucratic error, Polaris will have a viable case to argue for damages in the near term (particularly as, again, T-Rex and Morgan can be titled as motorcycles), and a strong political argument to lobby for a change to the law (it appears that other states use "seat or saddle" rather than just "saddle.")

As a practical matter, we can all be cute and recognize that of course the Slingshot is NOT a motorcycle, but a three-wheel car. That said, as a *legal* matter, the Slingshot is recognized as a motorcycle in nearly every state (48, IIRC-- believe CT and now Texas are the holdouts). I for one don't want any state looking at the Slingshot and determining that it is a car, as that will strangle three-wheel innovation.

Anyway, my guess is Polaris will quickly and successfully find a member of the Texas state legislature to change the law to accommodate the earlier agreement, and bring Texas law into alignment with the other states. But it'll be pucker factor for the dealers and buyers in the meantime.

P.S. Gotta love the tinfoil-hat wack-a-doodles over at the Slingshot forums arguing that it was *BRP* who ratted Polaris out, as if the language of the law isn't plain for anyone to see.

arntufun
11-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Indiana is now in the same boat as Texas......

Most state laws reads seat or saddle, but the folks in Texas and Indiana are not so lucky.....

Dave be careful about talking smack, Some of those tinfoil people are members here........BRP was behind this because the Slingshot is out selling the new F3 !!!!!!!!!!! I just know it !!!!!!:roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-12-2014, 05:36 PM
........BRP was behind this because the Slingshot is out selling the new F3 !!!!!!!!!!! I just know it !!!!!!:roflblack:
":lecturef_smilie: "Knowing it", without proof: is knowing less than nothing.
I have no doubt that it'll all get sorted out. It looks like a fun vehicle, and I'd love the opportunity to try one on for size! :thumbup:

retread
11-12-2014, 05:53 PM
The biggest difference between the T-rex and Ace, and the Slingshot; the Rex and Ace use motorcycle engines, the Slingshot uses a car engine.
I think maybe the problems are coming from people wanting "special variations" in the states refusing to allow the sales, most of the reasons for disallowing sales seem to be people really stretching things. Maybe they don't have anything better to do.

john

Oldmanzues
11-12-2014, 08:38 PM
This is a interesting "mess". I wonder if the "roll bar" on the T-Res (if my memory is right) would do something. I do know it has only been a couple years since the "saddle" only has been changed in Ohio. Now a seat is allowed in threeled motorcycles. The VW (and othe car enginesed) trike crowd had to license them as a car for years. Friend of mine had/has one.
A "car" has all kinds of fed safety rules, including ( I believe) a roll bar and 3 point seat harness.
Oldmanzues

Bfromla
11-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Legal crap to be argued by someone else!! Does bring concerns over how it will affect spyders, one main reasons i joined ABATE! Let them fight for us on bikes, this topic was discussed in detail and WOW all the stuff i didnt know on federal vs state,& what happens when out of your state, (if the cop has a bad day, everyone does!). Fyi look up & join your local ABATE good all around & gives us a much needed voice[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-14-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm glad i have a life so i don't have to worry about something i don't own and doesn't effect me.

bscrive
11-14-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm glad i have a life so i don't have to worry about something i don't own and doesn't effect me.

Good for you, now move along and let us have our fun. :lecturef_smilie:

Bfromla
11-17-2014, 05:01 AM

Problem is in legal description! It can come to affect you, all of us, if it continues this path. "Less than 4wheels is a bike" vs saddle seat or bucket seat, Handlebar or steering wheel, roll bar or helmet, all important factors &getting mixed in legal muck. 99030

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeriatric
11-20-2014, 07:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/11/20/texas-explains-why-polaris-slingshot-missed-mark/?intcmp=HPBucket

kyspyder
11-20-2014, 10:11 PM
It will be deemed legal in Texas as soon as Polaris spreads some more money around, count on it!

Oldmanzues
11-20-2014, 10:30 PM
This should be simple fix, just add seat as Ohio did a few years ago, as my other post
Oldmanzues

wyliec
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
It will be deemed legal in Texas as soon as BRP spreads some more money around. (US not Canadian $), count on it!

Why would BRP spread money around for Polaris?

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 08:33 AM
:agree: :shocked: :dontknow:

arntufun
11-21-2014, 10:37 AM
The four states now that will not sell the Slingshot until the laws are changed are..... Indiana, Texas, Connecticut and Maryland. :mad::cus::yikes::lecturef_smilie::banghead:

I read on the internet BRP was the corporation responsible for blowing the whistle (tattletale) on these loopholes in the law trying to sink Polaris. I don't know if it's true, just what I read. :(

Polaris is working with lawmakers, but there are plenty of disappointed people in four states that have already put down deposits not knowing when they will get their SS. :popcorn:

Bob Denman
11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Well.... It MUST be true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bufTna0WArc

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack:

retread
11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
I have some questions about the excuses TX is using; first, are there any Ace Cycle Cars or Morgan Trikes registered? Second, Campanga (sp?) the company that makes the TRex, also makes at least one model that doesn't have a roof, are any of them registered? If there are, I can see some legal action coming.
IN, on the other hand, is hung up on the "ape-hanger" specs, but doesn't enforce it on anything else.

john