PDA

View Full Version : Daily Travel Distance ?

Newflover
11-10-2014, 10:19 AM
So, we purchased a new to us 2011 RT-Limited in Aug., and put about 2500 smiling miles puttering around NW Ohio. Winter is here, so she is in layup mode and the misses and I are looking to travel next season. My question to you that travel via 2 or 3 wheels, how long (miles and hours)do you comfortably ride in 1 day? I/we want to ride the bike, but not feel rushed - IE: if we see something interesting, stop, smell the roses, and continue on. Since we don't normally travel even in 4 wheels much, we want a place to lay our heads at night, meaning we want that hotel reserved before we start out. I am planning a trip around the lower peninsula of MI. and right now, I have us riding 4-5 hours each day (actual ride time, not including smoke breaks, food breaks, potty breaks, sight seeing). Our longest trip this fall has been about 75 miles (150 round trip in 1 day) mainly on 2 lane roads and that is what I am planning for up north as well. Am I expecting the 4 hours of ride time per day to be too much, too little?

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 10:41 AM
This is a question, that only the two of you can answer... :shocked:
When I'm on my own, and heading someplace; 600 mile days are fine...
The Missus and I have done 400 miles in a day; but it was a long day for her.
I think that your own bodies, and scheduling priorities will make the decision for you.
Start short, and ramp up your trips; as your comfort level allows! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
11-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Bob is right, only you know how far you can go. When I am planning a trip I don't usually book rooms in advance. But when I go on a trip I am usually travelling cross country so I might decide to ride 600 miles one day and the next 800. I pick a place to stop for the night at my desired distance and then I also have a backup for closer and one for further.

I would think that 4 - 5 hours riding time per day is doable for just about anybody.

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 11:00 AM
:agree: Four or five hours of saddle time is pretty easy for most; it'll depend upon how many stops you have along the way for sightseeing (or shopping, or visiting, or antiquing, or...)
We've done sixteen hours of saddle time; when we had to be someplace... :shocked:

revjvegas
11-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Yup. what others have already said.

Listen to your butt; it'll tell you when it's time to stop and get off.

4-5 hours is a good starting point, from there you'll be able to gauge your riding style and determine whether you think you can cover more or not.

Also keep that passenger in mind. I know I can do 600-800 miles in a day, but my co-pilot is comfortable with more like 400-500; so it's just a matter of planning accordingly.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

easysuper
11-10-2014, 11:06 AM
4-5 hours is a good place to start , especially if there is a lot to see and do on the travel route . We pull a tent trailer and camp about half the time switching between hotels and camping , it gives us the option extending our travel budget . My wife (130lbs.),(and a new rider) has done 13 hr. days on her bike but that is a very long hard day , We try to keep it under 400 miles so we can stop and smell the roses and we try very hard to stay off the Super Slabs . Start with short ride and work up .

bronzeflex42
11-10-2014, 11:29 AM
That's what the RT is built for to ride and to ride long distance. 4 hours daily don't seem like that much to me. I'm not a big long distance rider myself, but from my understanding that's what the RTs are designed for, the long distance rider. Ride on and enjoy your Spyder. :yes:

NoLmtz
11-10-2014, 11:36 AM
From my previous research about 400 miles is average. One thing to do is you'll need to get gas every 120-150 miles so take your time and eat a small protein bar and stretch - heavy meals while traveling makes for a challenging day! Be sure to drink water and stay hydrated!

SpyderAnn01
11-10-2014, 11:45 AM
From my previous research about 400 miles is average. One thing to do is you'll need to get gas every 120-150 miles so take your time and eat a small protein bar and stretch - heavy meals while traveling makes for a challenging day! Be sure to drink water and stay hydrated!

400 - 500 is average if you are just going between two points. For the OP I would think that would be further than they would want, or need, to travel in a day. They are going sightseeing not travelling cross country.

Orange Spyder Man
11-10-2014, 12:01 PM
I am kinda new riding a Spyder... but when I had my 2 previous GoldWings.. i usually rode 700+ miles in a day, a few times over 1000 miles in one day... after getting in the country i want to see, we took lots more time to see what we wanted set out to do.. but don't know if I can cover as many miles per day on my new RT... this spring i'll find out...
I think long distance riding is up the individual.. their endurance, mental conditioning, & stamina.. its not for everyone.. thank goodness, highways might be too crowded otherwise...
OSM

BikerDoc
11-10-2014, 12:52 PM
By myself I have ridden from 850 to 1000 miles a day but my wife has started going with me more and initially her comfort zone is 350 to 400. That leaves us some time for local visits and leisurely dining

finless
11-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Just did a trip that was 9 hours total. 4 gas stops with about 30 minutes per stop.
Total saddle time was about 7 hours which I was ready to quit by that point. I could have gone longer if I had to but glad ride was over by that point.

NO WAY could I have done that stock or even with just the comfort seat that I added early on.
Adding the Air Hawk R and NVB pegs really extended my time I can handle in the saddle. Oh and good tunes :)

Prior to adding those comforts, 4 hours was killing my rear end!

Bob

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Your answers will be all over the place depending on who. :roflblack:

I am a more mature person with hip and back issues. Not a problem to much though. Gas stops/pit stops every hundred miles or so, also to stretch the muscles and change position works good for me.

We are blessed with great scenery everywhere, so stopping to "smell the roses" is a great pastime on our trips. These days, a 300-350 mile day is sufficient to enjoy the trip, smell the roses, and arrive at the destination still being able to walk and enjoy the evening.

Many times we have either lunch or supper as the mid break of the trip. That gives a nice one hour or so respite from the grind.

We are also done sleeping on the ground or camping. I sold my camping gear when I could no longer portage my canoe. We enjoy a good hotel, motel, or B & B for our evenings, and when we go to specific locations, we have the reservations made in advance.

Traveling can be fun whether you go for the miles, or just take it a bit easier. Your choice of course. :yes:

STELLING MAN
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I am like some others who posted, I've done anywhere from 700mi to 1000 In a day on a Gold Wing, but since I've only had my RT about five months the longest day so far has been 400mi. But look out next year..:thumbup:

Chupaca
11-10-2014, 04:03 PM
comes to mind. Plan some shorter rydes and work your way up. Or plan a long ryde with no arrival time and adjust your ryde as you go. It will be up to you both. Solo you will do more double up plan on a third to a half less...:thumbup:

pauly1
11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
As many have said, listen to your bodies. 700 to 1000 miles in a day is bragging territory (personally, 1100+ miles in about 17.5 hours is my tops :doorag: but I would like to try for 1500!); to do so, however, one is on the super slab, riding super long hours, and/or doing well over posted speeds. Set up the first trip and adjust from there. If one's needs for accommodations are specific, then reservations are a must, especially if visiting a remote location and/or where accomodations are scarce (e.g., near Yellowstone Nat'l Park in the summer), you'll need to book ahead.

We like to go to locations and stay for a couple of days doing day rides while there. Usually we put in longer days to get there and use the next days for more R&R and leisurely rides.

Remember, the weather will always cooperate ;). Gas stations and other stops will always be ideally located. And your helmet and clothing will always fit perfectly, with no rubbing or chafing or other need for adjustment.

I predict you'll quickly find your stride.

Happy Trails!
Wayne

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
As many have said, listen to your bodies. 700 to 1000 miles in a day is bragging territory (personally, 1100+ miles in about 17.5 hours is my tops :doorag: but I would like to try for 1500!); to do so, however, one is on the super slab, riding super long hours, and/or doing well over posted speeds. Set up the first trip and adjust from there. If one's needs for accommodations are specific, then reservations are a must, especially if visiting a remote location and/or where accomodations are scarce (e.g., near Yellowstone Nat'l Park in the summer), you'll need to book ahead.

We like to go to locations and stay for a couple of days doing day rides while there. Usually we put in longer days to get there and use the next days for more R&R and leisurely rides.

Remember, the weather will always cooperate ;). Gas stations and other stops will always be ideally located. And your helmet and clothing will always fit perfectly, with no rubbing or chafing or other need for adjustment.

I predict you'll quickly find your stride.

Happy Trails!
Wayne

I also like your suggestion of "base camping" it. That's is also the way we do it a lot. Since you already have a nice location nailed down, make the most of it and enjoy what the area has to offer. :yes:

Art Mann
11-10-2014, 08:01 PM
My wife and I have done some very long rides on our Goldwings but we weren't able to do it to start with. I remember when I thought 200 miles was a long painful day. Later, I remember thinking 500 miles was a fairly easy day. It takes some conditioning to be able to stay in the saddle for 6 or 8 hours running mostly tank to tank with 5 minute breaks (200+ miles on a Goldwing). I have only taken the RT for short ~100 mile rides but I have every reason to believe we will be back doing long and high mileage trips again next spring. I don't think the RT will be as hard on me riding 2 up as my Goldwings.

By the way, the average speed you can travel depends a lot on the road. For example it is hard to average 50 mph on the Blueridge Parkway, not that you would ever want to.

Newflover
11-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all of you who posted. After discussion with the misses, we like the idea of 'working' our way up to longer rides. I even found a website that gives a radius from 1 location to another based on the number of miles. Instead of a long jaunt in June, maybe it will be Sept.

murphybrown
11-11-2014, 10:44 AM
"taking time to smell the roses".....then follow Bob D input. Go as far as you want....I also follow SpyderAnne advice. I figure out what I think I will travel the next day...find and make reservation at room at that distance (always have a cxl by 4 p.m. and no penalty guarantee)...but have closer destinations in mind. Stuff happens..wow a great place to stop, find folks to chat with .. those things that happen when you are "taking time to smell roses". Now when I destination travel whole diff story. I can easily ryde 800+ miles a day...so that is what I target. Have a specific location, motel reserved and go, go, go. Guaranteed when on a distination journey there is NO smelling of roses!!! Whatever you decide, travel as you and your wife want..do it your way, it is your life and your ryde...but always embrace and enjoy the journey. Then you add the joy of Spyder ryding and it is a WINNER trip, no matter how far you go. :yes:

ronrico
11-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Like most everyone has said it is up to you and how you feel. But you also have to take into account the type of roads that you will be traveling on. Interstates a 4 to 5 hour is really nothing but if you are doing two lanes back roads that time could only be 200 miles. Since this is your first long trip I suggest a little planning ahead of time and you will be okay. The last trip I made ( two weeks 3500 miles, the wife and a trailer) I averaged 200 to 300 miles away but I was on two lanes with a lot of curves so average speed was around 40 MPH. Good luck and enjoy.

Major spyder
11-11-2014, 11:35 AM
We set 400 miles as our daily goal....200 in the morning ... A long lunch. And the remainder of our goal in the afternoon...tha being said....we've done over 600 in a day , but your ass gets flat...no mater how far you travel

see YA on the road.....:ohyea:

Oldmanzues
11-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Allkinds of answers, only you all can decide. What do you want to stop and see ? two or super slap. When I used to travel a lot, I joined a "hotel Group". Mine is was Choice Hotels. I could close to a city, call the phone number and they would tell where and how much for a decent room. I am not a fan of reservations a head. If you stop a lot for any reason, then you tend to travel past when you should have quit. Just my thoughts
Good luck and have fun
Oldmanzues