PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Ride

Njspeedmaster
11-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Took the :spyder2: up to Cycle Motion in Middletown, NY today to pick up the latest issue of Backroads magazine (highly recommended reading). Temp was in the lower 40's, with the heated seat and grips I was very comfortable. I did not have the usual bone-chilling feeling that I have had in the past when I got home. The best thing is I noticed is I was just riding, not thinking about cornering and the outward leaning when cornering. Really starting to enjoy riding my :spyder2:. :yes:

spyder3
11-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I was out today also for approx 150 miles or so........lover the cooler weather for riding. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Heated seats and grips go a long way in making colder weather rides comfortable. When your miserable, so is the ride. :thumbup:

I am done for the season due to black ice on my road. Would be riding if I could escape the black ice. 20's here today.

Trbayth
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Also went out for a few hours this afternoon, mainly to test out some cold weather gear I bought. Parts of me were comfortable, parts were cold. Should have added an additional layer under my jacket.

Trb--

ARtraveler
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Also went out for a few hours this afternoon, mainly to test out some cold weather gear I bought. Parts of me were comfortable, parts were cold. Should have added an additional layer under my jacket.

Trb--

Layers are the secret. :2thumbs::2thumbs: I do not have any electric gear--don't liked to be plugged into the :spyder2:

Bob Denman
11-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Did a quick 40 mile hop, after taking the Missus out shopping for most of the day...
She said that I "earned it". :thumbup:

LEEB
11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Did a cold ride today also. 28 degrees when I left the house at 8:00, but with layered cloths and heated grips I felt great. What's the coldest temp. that you have ridden in? Mine was 22(f) degrees, when I was asked to do a Blessing for the ground breaking of a new Harley dealership a few years ago, so I rode my bike about 25 miles to get there. Dang, that was cold!

So, in case you didn't know it, 'Winter Sucks!!!'

SPYD3R
11-08-2014, 06:39 PM
200 MILES of SMILES today.... :D
Easley, SC to Franklin, NC and back... had lunch with the MATTOX SPYD3R GROUP for our monthly 'Ride n Dine'... ALWAYS a good time with other SPYD3R friends... :chat:
high temp was 61, with brite blue sunny skys... AWESOME DAY...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Andy Cserny
11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Did a cold ride today also. 28 degrees when I left the house at 8:00, but with layered cloths and heated grips I felt great. ___whats the coldest temp. that you have ridden in? Mine was 22(f) degrees, when I was asked to do a Blessing for the ground breaking of a new Harley dealership a few years ago, so I rode my bike about 25 miles to get there. Dang, that was cold!

I dont know what the temp was, the temp gauge on my GL1800 woud not register, the iPod mounted on the tank bag quit working and the screen on the GPS went blank when I started in southern Illinois and the temp gauge, GPS and iPod didnt start working again until I got to Dalton Ga and stopped at a gas station and parked in the sunshine. Gerbing jacket, pants, socks, gloves and heated grips and seats, nose and tips of my fingers got cold and seat got too hot. Discovered Hippo Hands later and have not had cold hands since then.
Andy

ARtraveler
11-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Did a cold ride today also. 28 degrees when I left the house at 8:00, but with layered cloths and heated grips I felt great. What's the coldest temp. that you have ridden in? Mine was 22(f) degrees, when I was asked to do a Blessing for the ground breaking of a new Harley dealership a few years ago, so I rode my bike about 25 miles to get there. Dang, that was cold!

20 degrees below zero. Duluth MN, my first motorcycle. 1966

PS: I am a bit smarter now and I even have colder weather riding gear. :roflblack:

spyder3
11-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Layers are the secret. :2thumbs::2thumbs: I do not have any electric gear--don't liked to be plugged into the :spyder2:

Same here, don't like to be wired up. Today I tested battery operated gloves. Even when i had heated grips with the spyder, my finger tips would freeze. First day out with the battery heated gloves, turned them on once my fingers started to get cold and didn't think about them the rest of the ride. Saving judgment for a colder day though as is was 45 today. Everything else was good to go.

These are the gloves i'm trying. Very soft and comfy..... took about an hour before my fingers started getting cold so turned on the heat.
anyone have any experience with these gloves?

Gerbing 12V T5 Hybrid Heated Gloves
Gerbing Two 12V Hybrid Glove Batteries + Charger Kit

Chupaca
11-08-2014, 08:26 PM
don't know what your talking about..dipped down to 93* here today so rode up to the mountains where it was a balming 85*. If we combined our climates we would be perfect...65*...ah well one can dream..!! :thumbup:

spyder3
11-08-2014, 08:31 PM
don't know what your talking about..dipped down to 93* here today so rode up to the mountains where it was a balming 85*. If we combined our climates we would be perfect...65*...ah well one can dream..!! :thumbup:

Dislike:rolleyes:

Yazz
11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
We did our first cold weather ride. It was in the 60s when we headed out. Had to put on my jacket. Brrrrr...

We were 8 miles down a highway and the Springer quit on Hubby. Had to wait a hour and a half for the tow truck alongside a very busy, fast road. (We stayed on the other side of a cement road barrier and hoped we'd still have our rides at the end of the day.)

As we were waiting there, a couple on a black '14 RT pulled over and we chatted for a while. I hope we get to ride with them sometime in the future. You meet the nicest people in the weirdest situations. :)

As for the Springer, we're going to do a carburetor overhaul on her.

wolphspyder
11-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Not cold today, 60s.....got a chance to go into Austin and around Pflugerville, and back home....total ryde about 100 miles....still smiling....:2thumbs:...will see what I can add as farkels this week....

SporterSpider
11-08-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a question about cold weather riding. I have an RS Spyder. Do you need handguards or handshields on the bars to block the wind if you have heated grips or heated gloves so the hands will stay warm?

greatrides
11-08-2014, 11:17 PM
98663Last week my ride to work...40 miles one way. I never put it up for the winter but if it does not get close to 30 I won't go to far[ATT98662ACH=CONFIG]98662[/ATTACH]

Roadster Renovations
11-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Rode the last seasonal ride with our CMA group today. Rode about 150 total. It was in the low 40's when I left the house. The sun came out about an hour later and it warmed up pretty nice for Indiana in November. I was layered up and used the heated grips most of the ride. Got a little cold fighting a headwind on the way home and the sun went away. 10 minutes after I go home it rained briefly. All in all a good day with a bunch of good people.

Deanna777
11-09-2014, 06:46 PM

So, in case you didn't know it, 'Winter Sucks!!!'Sent Pm Deanna

Yazz
11-09-2014, 07:21 PM
These are the gloves i'm trying. Very soft and comfy..... took about an hour before my fingers started getting cold so turned on the heat.
anyone have any experience with these gloves?

Gerbing 12V T5 Hybrid Heated Gloves
Gerbing Two 12V Hybrid Glove Batteries + Charger Kit

Have wired Gerbing gloves and love them. Found that not wearing glove liners works best. Hands stay toasty warm.

bmccaffrey
11-09-2014, 08:07 PM

Boy like to rub that in CHUP:roflblack:

Hoping 2 more yrs moving the spyder to warmer climate in the winters:clap:

Chupaca
11-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Boy like to rub that in CHUP:roflblack:

Hoping 2 more yrs moving the spyder to warmer climate in the winters:clap:

Was a bit insensative..:roflblack: later on I sympathize...did live in NY, CT, CO and MT and know cold weather. Hope you have mild winter till you reach that new climate...:pray:

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Question: At what point, do you have to seriously change your riding gear due to the temperatures?
Once we're scratching the forties; I'll put the liner in my TourMaster Jacket.
When we hit the thirties; it's time for flannel-lined jeans. This is about where the Missus throws in the towel... :shocked:
For the twenties; I add Knee Necks and my old snowmobiling gloves to the equation. :thumbup:

Saluda
11-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Never cared for wired clothes, tried this for the first time. Warm & comfortable. Betting I could even use it for snowmobiling.

bronzeflex42
11-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Not too cold here in GA., but when the freeze does come i guess i'll be putting the :spyder: in too.

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Temps near the 40's for here today. Last night, the black ice melted off my road. I think I am going to fire up the 2014 for a ride in about an hour. This will be the latest I have ridden since moving here in 2001.

robmorg
11-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Temps near the 40's for here today. Last night, the black ice melted off my road. I think I am going to fire up the 2014 for a ride in about an hour. This will be the latest I have ridden since moving here in 2001.I was just thinking about you. I'm just catching up on some threads and saw your post a few days ago about putting the Spyder away for the winter. Then I saw the temps in Anchorage and thought, "I'll bet AK Man will be taking that Spyder out of cold storage today. ;)

In fact, that thought made me just take my Spyder out today for a short ride. It's in the mid 50's here. Haven't ridden since I broke a rib about three weeks ago. So I went for about a 4 mile ride today. It sure felt good - great for the soul, and not too bad for the rib. :D

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I was just thinking about you. I'm just catching up on some threads and saw your post a few days ago about putting the Spyder away for the winter. Then I saw the temps in Anchorage and thought, "I'll bet AK Man will be taking that Spyder out of cold storage today. ;)

In fact, that thought made me just take my Spyder out today for a short ride. Haven't ridden since I broke a rib about three weeks ago. So I went for about a 4 mile ride today. It sure felt good - great for the soul, and not too bad for the rib. :D

Yes, there is that wonderful magic of riding in the wind. The longer winters are one of the only bad things about living this far North.

robmorg
11-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but you've got those loooong summer days. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but you've got those loooong summer days. :thumbup:

You got me there. :roflblack::roflblack::yes::yes:

Going riding. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Glad to hear that you got another day for some "Wind Therapy"! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Had a 3.3 earthquake this AM. Epicenter was only 7 miles from my home this time. The house did a good shake. Looking at the map, I see I am sitting right on a fault zone. Now I know why I get so many quakes in my area. :yikes:

Update: I rode another hundred miles today. Last night we had high volume southerly winds and temps in the 40's. That melted the black ice off my road and made all the frost and snow disappear from our area. A few more trees are down.

Today: temps 39 degrees in the shady side of the mountains. Out in the sunny areas, I found 51 degrees. It felt more like a spring ride in early April instead of a November ride.

I shared the roads with two other motorcycles. One a Ural/sidecar outfit and the other a Goldwing. Both appeared glad to see another "crazy person" still riding their motorcycle.

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
51??? :shocked:
At Noon today; it was only 47 down here... :gaah:

But it felt great anyway! :D
Tomorrow; might just touch 60... :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

ARtraveler
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
51??? :shocked:
At Noon today; it was only 47 down here... :gaah:

But it felt great anyway! :D
Tomorrow; might just touch 60... :ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

I was riding at 1:00 PM our time. Sun only gets as high as 10:00 in the sky now. No overhead stuff, just light and a little residual warming.

Gotta love that global warming though. :roflblack::roflblack::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
11-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Global warming... :shocked:
If it means that I won't have to shovel snow, or park the bike for four Months per year; sign me up for it! :2thumbs:

robmorg
11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Sorry. Global Warming was last decade. I think we're into Global Cooling now, which is why they changed the name to "Climate Change". Sort of covers both basis.

Kwalsh
11-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Supposed to hit 60 up here tomorrow so hoping to put a few miles on and maybe stop and show wife the " leftover " 2014 st my dealer wants to get rid of wish me luck

LEEB
11-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Supposed to hit 60 up here tomorrow so hoping to put a few miles on and maybe stop and show wife the " leftover " 2014 st my dealer wants to get rid of wish me luck

Kwalsh, where is 'up here', and what are you riding now? Would the 2014 ST be a replacement for your current ride, or a ride for the wife? Anyhow, good luck!!