PDA

View Full Version : sena

ahh-cool
11-05-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm urinated off!
I've been messing with my Sena SMH10 for a while now trying to get audio and communications.
I sent in a ticket the other day and they informed me that you can't have both, even though I'm also using the SM10.
I was told that the SM20 you can. is this true? Is there any way to make the SMH10 work?
I just bought these less than 3 months ago.
Stefan
P.S. Dave let me know how much it would cost for the 20S dual. if it will do what I expected.

paulbrinker
11-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I have the SMH10 and the SM10 and connected to my helmet is my phone - GPS - AM-FM-XM Radio and Intercom. My wife's headset is connected to her phone - radios - and intercom. If you need to talk further, feel free to PM me and see if I can be of any assistance.

Jim&Teresa
11-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Here's the pairing process broken down easier than the manual....fyi...hope it helps.

billybovine
11-05-2014, 08:07 PM
The procedure for pairing that Jim&Teresa is a good one and should work.

The SMH10 is able to connect by BT to only one audio device in stereo and three hands free devices in mono. It will connect to 3 other Sena headsets with intercom mode as well. That totals up to 7 devices. What more are you trying to do?

oldguyinTX
11-05-2014, 08:09 PM
This is strange, as I have called Sena a couple of ties over the last year, and have found them to be very knowledgeable & helpful. The SM 10 Dongle & SMH10 helmet sets work well once everything is all paired up. I have in my helmet speakers GPS, Phone, iPod, AM/FM Radio, & Intercom. Couldn't be happier.

ahh-cool
11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
from Sena
Tristan, Nov 03 04:28 PM:
Hello,
Again, the SMH10 can only use one function at a time. If it were connected to the SM10, if the SM10 has two inputs in there, you can hear them both because it's technically from one source (the SM10). But you cannot use the SM10 and the intercom at the same time. The intercom would override the SM10 because it has a higher priority.

Regards,
Tristan

Jim&Teresa
11-05-2014, 08:38 PM
from Sena
Hello,
Again, the SMH10 can only use one function at a time. If it were connected to the SM10, if the SM10 has two inputs in there, you can hear them both because it's technically from one source (the SM10). But you cannot use the SM10 and the intercom at the same time. The intercom would override the SM10 because it has a higher priority.

Regards,
Tristan

I think all this SENA tech is saying is that you're listening to one thing at a time even though several items can be bluetoothed to your helmet. The SM10 allows your radio to play through your SMH10 and when you press the intercom button, it shuts the radio off so you can talk to the other person you are using the intercom with. That's all...I don't see a problem here. When I get a phone call, the RT's radio (via the SM10) cuts out and then my phone call is active. When I sign off the phone call, my radio comes back.....

Maybe I missed something! Good luck. SENA tech's are very helpful, but you have to wait on hold for awhile to get ahold of one (my wait time has been about 10-15 minutes). When they answer, they really know their stuff. Here's the SENA toll free number in case you need it: 866-300-1235...I think they are in the San Jose, CA area so time your call accordingly.

BTW...I have had our set about 1 1/2 years and they still work great!

billybovine
11-05-2014, 08:40 PM
from Sena
Hello,

Regards,
Tristan

That's exactly right. So why is that a problem?

Highwayman2013
11-05-2014, 08:45 PM
from Sena
Hello,

Regards,
TristanNot sure what you want here, if you are using the intercom do you want music to play at the same time?

shelbydave
11-05-2014, 08:56 PM
from Sena
Hello,

Regards,
Tristan

That's how it's supposed to work.

You can't have music and comm at the same time. If you're listening to music, and you hit comm, music is "muted" during the conversation. Same with phone. Music is the lowest priority in the chain, so anything else will override it.

I'm not sure if there is even a wired system that will allow what I think you are wanting. My wired chatterbox would override music when comm was activated.

SpyderAnn01
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Not sure what you want here, if you are using the intercom do you want music to play at the same time?

That is what the Sena 20 does, or is supposed to do. You can keep the intercom open and still hear your music, when one person speaks the music volume goes down. At least that is what mine did for a while anyway. Now when someone speaks the volume on the music stays at full volume. I'm not loving the Sena so far. One of my units quit working and I while I waited over a week for a return email from Sena, they said they were overwhelmed with help requests :shocked::yikes:, I left on my trip using Joe's headset. I talked to a Sena rep at the Las Vegas Bike Fest and he couldn't get it to work either and wouldn't swap it out for me (the Scala rep swapped out microphones and speakers for me on a 3 year old unit). When I got home from my trip I decided to try plugging the unit in again, before deciding if I wanted a refund or replacement, and now it works. :banghead:

jaherbst
11-05-2014, 10:57 PM
The procedure for pairing that Jim&Teresa is a good one and should work.

The SM10 is able to connect by BT to only one audio device in stereo and three hands free devices in mono. It will connect to 3 other Sena headsets with intercom mode as well. That totals up to 7 devices. What more are you trying to do?

It is the 660 and 665 GPS that will only allow Bluetooth in stereo to one Sena headset at a time not the Sena.

Jack

Highwayman2013
11-05-2014, 11:08 PM
That is what the Sena 20 does, or is supposed to do. You can keep the intercom open and still hear your music, when one person speaks the music volume goes down. At least that is what mine did for a while anyway. Now when someone speaks the volume on the music stays at full volume. I'm not loving the Sena so far. One of my units quit working and I while I waited over a week for a return email from Sena, they said they were overwhelmed with help requests :shocked::yikes:, I left on my trip using Joe's headset. I talked to a Sena rep at the Las Vegas Bike Fest and he couldn't get it to work either and wouldn't swap it out for me (the Scala rep swapped out microphones and speakers for me on a 3 year old unit). When I got home from my trip I decided to try plugging the unit in again, before deciding if I wanted a refund or replacement, and now it works. :banghead:Ok now I understand, I have the 10 unit and it is one at a time. I guess he needs the 20.

billybovine
11-05-2014, 11:17 PM
It is the 660 and 665 GPS that will only allow Bluetooth in stereo to one Sena headset at a time not the Sena.

Jack

Sorry, that was a typo on my part I was talking about the SMH10 headset. The headset can only be paired with one stereo device. The SM10 can stream stereo to two compatible BT headsets of any brand.

billybovine
11-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Ok now I understand, I have the 10 unit and it is one at a time. I guess he needs the 20.

Ok I think understand now too. So if I upgrade to the 20 can I turn that feature off?

ursamajor35126
11-06-2014, 12:20 AM
I have a pair of Sena 20S headsets...... My wife and I can intercom while I listen to my tunes from my phone and I also get my phones GPS directions... all simultaneously. When on a group ride I can also connect up to 9 other Sena units to a group intercom.

My 20S has been rock solid..... I did update the firmware when I first got them.....there is a vendor here on SL that sells them at a discount.

jcthorne
11-06-2014, 08:01 AM
That's the difference between the 10 series headsets and the new 20 series. Both can connect to multiple devices. The 10 series switches between them depending on priority. The 20 attempts to mix them to allow multiple sources simultaneously.

ahh-cool
11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I think all this SENA tech is saying is that you're listening to one thing at a time even though several items can be bluetoothed to your helmet. The SM10 allows your radio to play through your SMH10 and when you press the intercom button, it shuts the radio off so you can talk to the other person you are using the intercom with. That's all...I don't see a problem here. When I get a phone call, the RT's radio (via the SM10) cuts out and then my phone call is active. When I sign off the phone call, my radio comes back.....

Maybe I missed something! Good luck. SENA tech's are very helpful, but you have to wait on hold for awhile to get ahold of one (my wait time has been about 10-15 minutes). When they answer, they really know their stuff. Here's the SENA toll free number in case you need it: 866-300-1235...I think they are in the San Jose, CA area so time your call accordingly.

BTW...I have had our set about 1 1/2 years and they still work great!
Thanks,
I will need to see how to do this. since there is no back seat PTT how do we do this?
Stefan

ahh-cool
11-06-2014, 10:31 AM
That's exactly right. So why is that a problem?

Because I'm trying to listen to music in between talking

ahh-cool
11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
That's how it's supposed to work.

You can't have music and comm at the same time. If you're listening to music, and you hit comm, music is "muted" during the conversation. Same with phone. Music is the lowest priority in the chain, so anything else will override it.

I'm not sure if there is even a wired system that will allow what I think you are wanting. My wired chatterbox would override music when comm was activated.
My comm is not wired. we have 2each of the SMH10 and they are paired

ahh-cool
11-06-2014, 10:35 AM
That is what the Sena 20 does, or is supposed to do. You can keep the intercom open and still hear your music, when one person speaks the music volume goes down. At least that is what mine did for a while anyway. Now when someone speaks the volume on the music stays at full volume. I'm not loving the Sena so far. One of my units quit working and I while I waited over a week for a return email from Sena, they said they were overwhelmed with help requests :shocked::yikes:, I left on my trip using Joe's headset. I talked to a Sena rep at the Las Vegas Bike Fest and he couldn't get it to work either and wouldn't swap it out for me (the Scala rep swapped out microphones and speakers for me on a 3 year old unit). When I got home from my trip I decided to try plugging the unit in again, before deciding if I wanted a refund or replacement, and now it works. :banghead:

Will the SCALA work with the SM10?

billybovine
11-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Because I'm trying to listen to music in between talking

The SMH10 will do that. Let's take for example that you and your passenger headsets are paired together, but no others. Your passenger wants to talk to you. They tap their jog dial once. Your audio will mute and you both can have a conversation. When the conversation is done they tap their jog dial once again and the music will return. Page 27 in the user guide.

From my understanding the 20 will reduce the volume during the conversation but not mute it.

jaherbst
11-06-2014, 11:13 AM
The SMH10 will do that. Let's take for example that you and your passenger headsets are paired together, but no others. Your passenger wants to talk to you. They tap their jog dial once. Your audio will mute and you both can have a conversation. When the conversation is done they tap their jog dial once again and the music will return. Page 27 in the user guide.

From my understanding the 20 will reduce the volume during the conversation but not mute it.

Good information. Also remember to have the mike close enough and talk load enough to activate the VOX. (voice activated microphone) Without these two things your Sena headsets will not work for communication.

Jack