PDA

View Full Version : Caution! Definitely a scam.

BikeIowa
11-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Just saw this and knew it was a scam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-SM5-SE5-/111505816567?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f643bbf7&item=111505816567

ARtraveler
11-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Just saw this and knew it was a scam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-SM5-SE5-/111505816567?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f643bbf7&item=111505816567

A very unique machine also. its both a manual and a semi auto. :roflblack:

arntufun
11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing other than he/she should have marked it used. :dontknow:

PMK
11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing. :dontknow:

I kind of agree. The listing has over 6 days to finish. Has a low starting bid and per the ad a low reserve. Seller has a good ebay rating and he photos seem good.

It could be a scam, but nothing yet has me screaming run away.

PK

ARtraveler
11-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing other than he/she should have marked it used. :dontknow:

It is quacking a little bit like a duck. Those selling fake :spyder2:'s generally don't know what they are talking about--hence--bad descriptions. Have seen that in many scam ads. (Quack!)

I did note that this was a bid price. Will be interesting to see how far it goes. A $1,000 start is a really good deal. We all know that this machine is now going for about $8K or less--because of the year. You know what they are worth as you just sold yours. So, if someone wins the bid at much less... (Quack!)

There are many who get ripped off through E-bay scams. I think a warning to those who are not E-bay savvy, is a good thing.

Time will tell if this was real or not. Posting on SL site is not going to trash someone's legitimate sale--IMO of course.

bscrive
11-04-2014, 07:22 PM
akspyderman,

I believe Randy was talking about the original poster who said they thought it was a scam, not you.

I don't believe it is a scam. I think it is legit and the seller doesn't know much about Spyders.

ARtraveler
11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
akspyderman,

I believe Randy was talking about the original poster who said they thought it was a scam, not you.

I don't believe it is a scam. I think it is legit and the seller doesn't know much about Spyders.

We are cool. Randy and I go way back and like to spar a bit when we can. It's all in fun.

DrewNJ
11-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Looks legit to me. Low starting price but with a reserve so it isn't selling for $1k or anywhere near it.
Also, the spyder is listed as being in Denver Colorado and the license plate on the front of the adjacent vehicle is also from Colorado.

ARtraveler
11-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Looks legit to me. Low starting price but with a reserve so it isn't selling for $1k or anywhere near it.
Also, the spyder is listed as being in Denver Colorado and the license plate on the front of the adjacent vehicle is also from Colorado.

I am cool with the whole thing. Couldn't resist the SM5/SE5 thing though. It would be great if this one flies and is legit. A 2009 with less than 200 miles--it just does not get much better than that. Not going to waste anyone's time by doing further research as I am not in the market for another 2009.

I will just sit back and let nature take its course. Over and out.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

DrewNJ
11-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I will just sit back and let nature take its course. Over and out.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

What? Do you have to poop?[emoji12] [emoji85]

hchays
11-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I would have to agree that it looks like a scam. If you look at the sellers feedback. The names of the buyer/seller does not look right and show a pattern. Also the items that they bought seem a little shady... I think it's a somewhat well thought out scam.

spydaman60
11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
that front left tire looks out of wack though.nojoke

Chupaca
11-04-2014, 09:17 PM
this would have to be a must see item...agree in some photos the left front wheel seems to turn a lot further than the right. Could be classified as new with that low a mileage but if you change the cluster it starts a "0" again. Wise to run a vin # check...pay with paypal after reciept....:lecturef_smilie:

bscrive
11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
With a bike having that low of mileage and it looks like it stays outside all the time. I could see a lot of problems with this bike. My cousin bought a 2009 Yamaha Venture a few years ago on ebay from a dealer with low mileage. He thought that he had got a steal on the bike. It took almost $1000 to get the bike to run right. Better off to buy a bike that is rode than one that sits.

arntufun
11-04-2014, 10:06 PM
With a bike having that low of mileage and it looks like it stays outside all the time. I could see a lot of problems with this bike. My cousin bought a 2009 Yamaha Venture a few years ago on ebay from a dealer with low mileage. He thought that he had got a steal on the bike. It took almost $1000 to get the bike to run right. Better off to buy a bike that is rode than one that sits.

I couldn't agree more !!!!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-05-2014, 01:57 AM
that front left tire looks out of wack though.nojoke

Good catch. How did I miss that? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

DrewNJ
11-05-2014, 07:21 AM
I think that's just the camera angle guys....look at the 4th pic from behind/right. It looks normal from there.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
11-05-2014, 08:10 AM
if you are really curious, ask seller a question!!

Bob Denman
11-05-2014, 08:57 AM
No doubt; it's gonna need a laser alignment of EPIC proportions! :shocked:
I'd be a bit suspicious of it; but that's just me. ;)

cuznjohn
11-05-2014, 09:47 AM
not really sure on this one, i did some research on the seller and he has 41 e bay sales with 100% positive feedback, there is 5 bids on the bike with the last bid of 2025.00. it says there is a very low reserve on the bike but there is 6 days left on the bidding. he might be a dealer trying to get people to look at it, and sellers also have other friends to up the bids to try and sell. so who knows

Bob Denman
11-05-2014, 10:16 AM
It's been described as being in "very good condition"...
That left wheel leaves a lot of room for doubt! :shocked:

shelbydave
11-05-2014, 10:19 AM
My gripe about these is that the starting bid is so low, but there is no way to tell what the reserve is. It would be nice if the person selling would start the bidding somewhere in the ballpark of the reserve.

shelbydave
11-05-2014, 10:23 AM
It's been described as being in "very good condition"...
That left wheel leaves a lot of room for doubt! :shocked:

I see what you're saying, but looking at other pictures, that may be an optical illusion caused by the angle the pic was taken. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I see your point; My guess is that the left tie-rod has a busted end on it, and they're just kicking that wheel around to a convenient spot...
As bad as my eyes are; there's something VERY odd about that left front wheel... :shocked:

BikeIowa
11-05-2014, 03:29 PM

My apologies. Forget I posted anything!
Obviously they are knowledgeable about what they have and just didn't proof read their description.
Whats wrong with this description...

"We just bought it but we never used it and we are selling it now with very low reserve. We bought it brand new."

They just bought a brand new 5 year old Spyder but never used it. OK you're right it probably is fine.

Bob Denman
11-05-2014, 03:40 PM
The more that this one gets put to the "sniff-test"; the worse it gets... :shocked:

arntufun
11-05-2014, 06:59 PM
My apologies. Forget I posted anything!
Obviously they are knowledgeable about what they have and just didn't proof read their description.
Whats wrong with this description...

"We just bought it but we never used it and we are selling it now with very low reserve. We bought it brand new."

They just bought a brand new 5 year old Spyder but never used it. OK you're right it probably is fine.

Let's hold off putting on the tinfoil hats so fast......... :joke:

They bought it new (in 2009) and never used it.. Relax Bro...... even if it was a scam, eBay would reimburse you. Please don't get Bob D. all riled up. :roflblack:

bscrive
11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Randy, I am worried about you.

First you change your picture at the bottom of your posts and now your avatar.

We seem to be loosing you to the darkside!!!!!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

ARtraveler
11-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Randy, I am worried about you.

First you change your picture at the bottom of your posts and now your avatar.

We seem to be loosing you to the darkside!!!!!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

The force appears to be very strong. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-06-2014, 06:42 AM
:agree: Randy,
Is this some sort of Mid-Life crisis event? :dontknow:

dndfindley
11-09-2014, 01:08 AM

Seriously? I mean - really? You don't see the red flags?

arntufun
11-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Seriously? I mean - really? You don't see the red flags?

Considering there is already 16 bids over 8k and the reserve is not yet met..................... I don't !!!!!!

Besides...............

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/motors2/images/pix.gif
Overview of the Vehicle Purchase Protection program
The eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) program provides protection of up to $50,000 against certain losses associated with some types of fraud. You are automatically enrolled in the program at no charge when you complete the purchase of an eligible vehicle on the eBay Motors site (motors.ebay.com).

Please understand that the VPP program is not an insurance policy, a solution for buyer's remorse, or a substitute for buyer diligence (i.e. pre-purchase research and inspection). Therefore, we encourage you to perform appropriate research and exercise proper care and judgment in the purchase of any vehicle.

VPP is administered and managed by an independent service provider (the "VPP Administrator") that is not affiliated with eBay Inc ("eBay"). All VPP requests will be administered and processed by eBay and the VPP Administrator. The maximum reimbursement amount per vehicle is $50,000.

These terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") shall govern your participation in the VPP program.

Situations for Which Protection is Offered
VPP offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:

You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.

You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.

You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:

The vehicle was determined by a law enforcement agency to have been stolen at the time of the end of the listing.
The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.
A title is required for the vehicle by your state and the seller's state but you did not receive a title from the seller and it is not possible to obtain a title from the appropriate DMV.
The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand at the time of the end of the listing. (This protection is not available for vehicles listed in the Dune Buggies, Race Cars or Trailers categories.)
The vehicle is less than 20 years old and has more than a 5,000 mile odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the seller's listing. (This protection is only available for vehicles listed in the Cars & Trucks and RVs & Campers categories.)

In addition, the VPP also provides protection against certain undisclosed damage for vehicles that are less than 10 years old (10 year threshold is based on model year): The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection. Vehicles that are subject to a recall for this type of damage are not eligible for VPP.

ARtraveler
11-09-2014, 03:16 PM
The bid price is now up to over $8,000--which is the going price for that machine.

My big concern would be that funny left front wheel. To me, it appears that it is not attached properly and they forget to line it up on the main photograph. It appears more lined up in the other photos.

Just comments, and not intending to purchase the item or bother the seller with questions.

cuznjohn
11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
i think the wheel is just a camera angle distortion i looked closely at it

SNOOPY
11-09-2014, 03:42 PM
What is all over the rear fender?

Some accessory?

Why put an accessory on something you never rode?

arntufun
11-09-2014, 04:47 PM
What is all over the rear fender?

Some accessory?

Why put an accessory on something you never rode?

Cheap Flag holders.......... On the windshield is a sticker of soldiers raising the flag. He/she must have been some sort of USA lover. :thumbup: