PDA

View Full Version : Where are the direction indicators?

OJ UK
11-02-2014, 08:18 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.png ANOTHER Question!!

Now this really is stupid!!

Here is the rear view of my built Spyder from the BRP web site:

:clickpic:
Where are the rear direction indicators?? In the UK & Europe they must be amber colored also.

..............and is that a reversing light in the light cluster behind the seat?

I have to know these things!!

PrairieSpyder
11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Your pic didn't work!

Bob Denman
11-02-2014, 08:42 AM
:shocked::agree:
"Invalid attachment specified." :banghead:

Chupaca
11-02-2014, 09:56 AM
it's unanimus....pic malfunction...:roflblack::roflblack:

one2doo
11-02-2014, 10:05 AM
It has them under http://parts.spyder.brp.com/AssemblyTree.aspx?dealerid=&clickedNode=99979&nodes=16%3a99101%3a99102%3a99979&displayCatalog=336&s1=s7n74fgev87putf217me47opa6&catalog_id=0&language_id=1&siteid=1#
It has US and Europe .

billybovine
11-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Here is the parts catalog view. 342 is the backup light. 329 is the right NA turn signal. 364 is the Japan right turn signal. 417 is the Europe right turn signal.
The NA looks like the turn signal is integrated into the tail assembly. The European one is mounted on the side and looks like the same one used on European RS models.

OJ UK
11-02-2014, 02:13 PM
:shocked::agree:
"Invalid attachment specified." :banghead:

Thanks Bob and Patti....try again....;) Does it work now???

OJ UK
11-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Here is the parts catalog view. 342 is the backup light. 329 is the right NA turn signal. 364 is the Japan right turn signal. 417 is the Europe right turn signal.
The NA looks like the turn signal is integrated into the tail assembly. The European one is mounted on the side and looks like the same one used on European RS models.

Right!! :thumbup: Thank you so much for that Billybovine and one2doo! All I needed to know. In its US trim the rear indicators would not pass muster in the UK as there's not enough horizontal
separation, minimum 15.75 inches or 400mm. (Not far enough apart!) aside from not being the required amber colour.

loisk
11-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Right!! :thumbup: Thank you so much for that Billybovine and one2doo! All I needed to know. In its US trim the rear indicators would not pass muster in the UK as there's not enough horizontal
separation, minimum 15.75 inches or 400mm. (Not far enough apart!)

Ditto for Australia (300 mm) - but note the drawing does show our table-tennis-bat indicators out the sides - for Europe, Oz, etc, so these must comply. This may do you.
The bit I like is the 'back-up' light - until this design, Australian dealers have had to add a truck/trailer (ie ugly) reversing light at the bottom of the back guard, above the number plate, which is (a) not attractive and (b) not very effective. I've often wondered why I couldn't put a back-up light under the tail, between the two brake lights (RS and ST). Now I'm wondering whether this back light assembly from F3 could be "made" to fit with a bit of lateral thinking. The built-in indicators could be left in situ, as an "extra" set. hmmm. Mind you, finding the reverse/back-up wiring could be a challenge - I think it all depended a bit on each dealer, but I could be wrong about this. I shall have to wait until an F3 makes it to Oz, and shall be having a look.
Thanks for showing us the drawing of all the back light bits, great to see.

billybovine
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
So now out of curiosity I had to do a little light reading of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. :shocked: That's the US regulation. Rear motorcycle turn signal separation combination brake/turn as quoted from the regulation. "At or near the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches." So that's 230mm to the rest of the world. All vehicles are to have amber turn signals or combination turn and brakes lights in red.

sduskin
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.png ANOTHER Question!!

Now this really is stupid!!

Here is the rear view of my built Spyder from the BRP web site:

:clickpic:
Where are the rear direction indicators?? In the UK & Europe they must be amber colored also.

..............and is that a reversing light in the light cluster behind the seat?

I have to know these things!!

Yes, that appears to be the "backup lights" or as they say in the UK the "reversing light"
and those are the brake/turn indicators and they do look red...

OJ UK
11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
So now out of curiosity I had to do a little light reading of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. :shocked: That's the US regulation. Rear motorcycle turn signal separation combination brake/turn as quoted from the regulation. "At or near the rear, at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches." So that's 230mm to the rest of the world. All vehicles are to have amber turn signals or combination turn and brakes lights in red.

First of all in the UK the Spyder is not classified as a motorcycle but a tricycle which has similar but in no way identical regulations to a car.
To make life even more complex, a motorcycle with a side-car attached is NOT a tricycle but a motorcycle combination!!
There is a logical reason for all this! Really!! In the late forties and fifties many families couldn't afford to buy cars and so a number of
companies set out to give families four seat transport without the expense of a car but with a roof over their heads unlike a bike with a chair attached!
A number of quite diabolical devices were created but they were cheap and sold by the thousand.
Here's one.....The Bond Minicar....This one is a late fifties model and a two-seater! WHOA!! 250cc 2 stroke engine almost 12bhp :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36EwnYcc1a4

So here is the rear indicator legislation from the UK:

From the Vehicle Lighting Regulations (1989)

(ii)Minimum separation distance between indicators on opposite sides of a vehicle–

(A)A motor vehicle (other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination or an invalid carriage having a maximum speed not exceeding 8 mph) first used on or after 1st April 1986, a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985, a horse-drawn vehicle, a pedstrian-controlled vehicle and a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand:

500 mm or, if the overall width of the vehicle is less than 1400 mm, 400 mm

:banghead:

Colin
11-03-2014, 05:27 PM

Looks like we are going to be getting those horrible Paddle Indicators again, better make sure I keep my smaller USA?Canada style indicators lolol